Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Runaway by Meg Cabot

Runaway

by Meg Cabot

Series: Airhead (3)

Recently added byAaminahNisa, snazz, margaraawr, moonlitgarden, amydaniel15, mylifeinverse, private library

Actually: 3.5/5 stars. ( )
  ccathee17c | Jun 7, 2013 |
as usual meg's books are stress-busters ( )
  urmika.manjrekar | May 10, 2013 |
3.5 stars

This book was good. It was a good wrap-up of the series, and, being a Meg Cabot book, it had a lovely ending all tied up with a bow and such. It was just.... not enthralling like most of Meg's books are. I had no problem reading a bit and putting it down... and reading a bit more and putting it down... Plus, Em was acting like an idiot most of the time (do teenagers really "reason" like that?) which was a bit frustrating. I did really quite like the ending though. I love when bad guys get their comeuppance! and I thought the "moral" of the story (Be happy with what you've got, dang it!) was a great one. ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
I enjoyed this series but it would have been better as just one book. It felt like she was really dragging things out to fill up a trilogy. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
I was really hoping for the series to redeem itself in this book, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. There was a lot of potential in this series, which got promptly wasted.

The big problem I keep coming back to is the characterization. It's definitely the weakest part in the series, and it shows. Em doesn't grow at all in three books; by the end, she's still dismissive of pretty famous people. Also, for someone who stresses about her intelligence and goes on about how smart she is, Em's kind of dumb. Everything important about Stark or the operation, someone has to spell it out for Em before she realizes the truth. I think the only thing she figures out on her own is the spyware on her computer in the first book. For example, when she and Christopher discover Project Phoenix, they both can't figure out what the name means. I can understand being confused with the city, but then they have to look up alternate meanings of phoenix, and they still can't figure it out. It's not until Em goes to the shareholders' auction that she finally figures out “phoenix = rebirth.” (And even then, she doesn’t make the symbolic connection.) Not to mention, I cried bullshit when Em said she didn't really know what a phoenix is. She plays a fantasy MMO, how the hell has she never heard of a phoenix. (Again, if you're going to call someone a geek, make them a geek! /tangent) She doesn't even realize Brandon's motives for keeping her and Nikki under lock and key; Em even buys into Brandon's excuse of "Oh, sure, we'll get you a surgeon to switch brains back." It would have been more believable if Em was book smart but really horrible with people, but this is never a part of her character.

There's no foreshadowing to any of the revelations. We find out why Em's mom was so against superficiality and a straw feminist- it's because her mother stopped telling her that she was pretty! Aside from being a bullshit Freudian excuse, there's no lead-up to it. Em's parents only show up once a book, and after their appearance in the first book, they only exist to harp on her for neglecting her schoolwork. Our villain, Robert Stark, isn't menacing or even feels like a threat- he shows up once a book and leaves. The reveal about Project Phoenix auctioning off college students to do brain implants doesn't feel as earth-shattering or has any impact on the plot. Nikki could have had a great character arc about getting over her vanity and accepting her new body, but apparently, all Lulu has to do is make Nikki over into a Goth and suddenly everyone thinks she's hot again. *headdesk*

And the plotting is just bad. The worst part is when Em sneaks into the Project Phoenix auction and secretly films it on her phone. Stark catches her and smashes it. While it's not a great plot twist, it still would have put an element of mystery to the plot- how they going to prove what's going? Can they still bring down Stark? But instead, Em goes to Lulu, calls Christopher, and reveals...that Stark broke her iPhone, but she filmed the meeting on her Stark phone. BAD WRITING 101. SHOW DON'T TELL. It doesn't help that ten pages later, Em repeats this information to Stark. There's a decent plot gun here that doesn't get used, and the whole conversation with Christopher should have honestly been cut in the editing stages.

For a series about superficiality and accepting who you are, none of the characters ever seem to get this point. Everyone (except for the bad guys, of course) ends up happy, paired off and pretty. Em's still a model, but now she can tell people who she really is and is justified being a bitchy to the popular girls. Which...really? This is the happy ending? It's almost like an aborted prequel to the Uglies series, where everyone in the country is obsessed with looking pretty, but have to be reminded that "People shouldn't be judged by their looks!" But they still want to be pretty instead of just normal. It's even the bad guys' motivation- well, Stark's is just money, but all of the shareholders are willing to kill off attractive coeds just to look pretty and young again. I feel like there's supposed to be a commentary on how we as a culture view attractiveness, but it fails so hard by making all of the main characters superficially attractive and keeping them that way at end. (I know I keep harping on about this series, but seriously- Uglies. Read it.)

There's some good points to the series, and the plot could have been decent. But Cabot drops the ball on the interesting plot threads, and the conflict never feels as big or as important as the characters make it out to be. (Not that I'm condoning the murder of attractive coeds, but you get my point.) It also feels like the books were set up to be a trilogy just for the sake of being a trilogy, and would have really worked better as just one volume. And I think I've gone on enough about how bad the characterization is.

I've mentioned in another review that I know that Meg Cabot can write good, well-plotted books, but sometimes it feels like she just writes something for the sake of publishing it and as whole, this is what the Airhead series feels like to me. There's just too much wasted potential here, and it really disappointed me.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
Extra special thanks to Jennifer Brown. Thanks also to Beth Ader, Michele Jaffe, Laura Langlie, Abby McAden, and Benjamin Egnatz.
So according to the tabloids, I’m on a secret love getaway (not so secret anymore now, though, is it? Thank you, Us Weekly) with Brandon Stark, the only son and sole heir of billionaire Robert Stark, currently the fourth-richest person in the world, after Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Ingvar Kamprad (who founded IKEA, in case you didn’t know).
Where can you hide

When everyone knows your name?

Where can you hide when everyone knows your name?

Emerson Watts is on the run: from school, from work, from her family, from her friends, from herself.

With everyone she loves furious with her for something she can't explain, and nothing but the live Stark Angel fashion show on New Year's Eve to look forward to, Em's reached the end of her rope. . .what's the point of even going on?

But when she discovers the truth about Nikki's secret, she knows there's only one person she can turn to.

Will Christopher be able to put aside his personal feelings and help her expose her employer to the world? Is it even fair to get Christopher involved--since if he agrees, there's every chance that Stark Enterprises will try to have them both killed--this time, permanently?

Maybe it would be better for Em to just keep on running.

Where can you hide
When everyone knows your name?

The third and final book the NYT bestselling trilogy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

When sixteen-year-old Emerson Watts learns the truth about Nikki, the teen supermodel into whose body Emerson's brain was transplanted, she finds that there is only one person to turn to for help--especially since her loved ones seem to be furious with her.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,705,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible