Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Tabitha Suzuma

Member:CatHellisen
Title:Forbidden
Authors:Tabitha Suzuma
Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:audiobooks, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:dark&twisted, YA

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma (2010)

English (73)  Italian (2)  All languages (75)
So, I didn't really care for this one. I don't think it's a bad book or anything. And the subject matter wasn't an issue. The writing didn't pull me in, and I didn't find myself draw to or feeling much for any of the characters. For me, what should have been an interesting, engaging read just wasn't. ( )
  Kelly_Mills | Dec 13, 2014 |
Five minutes since I finished this book, I can't let go of it. I have cried and I have screamed and begged. This is probably the first time a book has inspired such a reaction out of me. I feel lost.

This is a harrowing tale about an incest relationship between a brother and sister who have been forced to care for their younger siblings, for their mother is an unreliable alcoholic who spends more time out with her boyfriend, and their father gave up on the family, remarried and forgot his five children.

Having six siblings, possiby more on my unknown father's side, and being the oldest of the lot, I never would have condoned an incest relationship. Ever. But Tabitha Suzama writes Maya and Lochie's story with so much care and devotion that you can't help but want them to be together. You're asked to ignore the taboo side of the relationship and see that these two people love each other. You begin to wonder whether, taboo or not, we should, as a society, allow any kind of relationship between two people over sixteen as long as it is consensual.

Forbidden is a powerful novel, and I will never forget it. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Ever read a book that you knew was going to break your heart? This is one of them. It tells the story of 2 teenagers Lochan and Maya, that grow up in such a bad situation. Mom is a piece-o-crap and dad has remarried and completely taken off. Lochan and Maya are responsible for their 3 younger siblings and the thing is you love both characters.

The author writes this story amazingly. I know what was happening with them was wrong and my heart just broke the whole time. These two characters were just doomed by life. I do not think this book was just about incest-and incest is not the main thing about the story. I can see myself thinking about this book for such a long time. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 and I can't really explain why. It's a book that will weave itself into your heart.

I do NOT believe in book banning in any form, however I do not think I would like my teenage daughter reading this book. It's marketed as young adult. Whoever was the brainchild behind that one probably needs smacked. This is an ADULT book. I never really have censored anything my kids have wanted to read. I mean they are reading so I am happy with that. The emotions and story with this book though are completely adult.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
**No spoilers or rehash.

I'm gonna need some time to process this book...

Ok, it's 5 days and 2 books later and I feel I can now come back and review this. What a strange book. I simultaneously like and dislike it. If I had to choose one word to describe it, I'd choose "riveting". I was glued to the book, though, truth be told, I knew what was coming and my morbid curiosity and I couldn't wait to get there.

I was intrigued by how the author was going to present the ... "unpresentable?" and sell us on it. I'd have to say that overall, I was impressed. It wasn't just a free-for-all, but rather a buildup, a slow simmer if you will. Mainly, the focus was on the siblings’ home life and it stirred a lot of sympathy and emotion in me.

I will say that when the time came, it made me squirm. I knew it was coming, but I still sat there with my mouth hanging open. It’s just so ingrained in me how wrong it is, but it’s interesting that even in my squeamishness, I rooted for them. That’s what this book does. It blurs the line between right and wrong and though you know where you’re firmly planted, it throws you at times.

As much as I enjoyed it, I also had some issues with it. Waaaay too much angst. Waaaay too melodramatic. Lochan, especially, was just too much for me. I found myself skimming through paragraph after paragraph of his despair and woe & bullshit. It was too much for my taste.

Overall, it’s a good book. While the majority of people would be aghast to get it on with their bro or sis, we all know there are people out there that are willing to cross that line. This book is well worth reading if only to see things from a different perspective. That being said, I’d rather scratch my eyes out than get it on with my bro and we weren’t even raised together. Blecch.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I am emotionally wrecked. I will probably be traumatized for the next month, at least. ( )
  thenerdypuffer | Jul 1, 2014 |
For Akiko, with love

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love.

But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...

'How can something so wrong feel so right?'

She is pretty and talented, 16 and never been kissed. He is 17, gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. Only one problem, they're brother and sister. 'Forbidden' will take readers on an extraordinary emotional journey.… (more)

Tabitha Suzuma is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible