Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Tabitha Suzuma

Member:CatHellisen
Title:Forbidden
Authors:Tabitha Suzuma
Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:audiobooks, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:dark&twisted, YA

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma (2010)

English (69)  Italian (2)  All languages (71)
I am emotionally wrecked. I will probably be traumatized for the next month, at least. ( )
  thenerdypuffer | Jul 1, 2014 |
Wow. This book was amazing. You have 5 siblings and 1 drunken low-life "mom" who make up this family. The father took of years ago, to create another family, and in that time the "mom" has spent her time trying to be a teenager again and forgetting that she has kids or responsibilities. I wanted to shake the mom, so many times.
Lochan and Maya are the oldest of the siblings and they have taken the mother and father role for many years. They get up early, get the younger kids up, dressed, and fed before hauling them off to school. They clean the house, pay the bills, put the kids to bed, read bed time stories, entertain them, help with their homework all the while attending high school themselves and not enjoying any of the freedoms that come with being teenagers.
Lochan has the obstacles of being the man of the house and having a severe social phobia. He cannot function like most people and can hardly hold conversations with strangers, especially kids his age, or even make eye contact. And he is the best looking guy in their entire school.
Maya is gorgeous, breezy, and is just functioning like a typical student and only her best friend knows that she is practically a parent to 3 other kids.
If the police were to find out that they were raising their siblings, they would put all the kids in separate foster homes so they learn they must keep quiet about their troubles and just try to get through the day. Giving in to exhaustion is not an option.
Maya and Lochan are close and have always tried to help each other out with the kids but it isn't until Maya gets asked out on a date that things take a turn. Lochan can't sleep, he can't think, and he's not sure why. And Maya doesn't understand why she can't feel anything for this attractive, well-off, popular boy who seems to really be attracted to her. All she can think of is Lochan…
So as it comes, they both realize they are completely in love with each other and even though they find it sick at times, they can't help their feelings, nor do they want to. It is such a good read!!!! ( )
  KatieHeflin | Jun 16, 2014 |
A word of caution: This book is not for the faint of heart.

When I read the summary for this story, I was willing to try it out but I was afraid that it would be hard for me to get through, for seemingly obvious reasons. And it was an incredible struggle to read.

But not for the reason you would expect.

You want to talk about broken feels? I don’t even know how to be after reading this. There is always a place in readers’ hearts for the love story that has everything in the world working against it, and sometimes there are even obstacles of fantastical and paranormal and just ASTRONOMICAL standards fighting against a couple. But a relationship of this magnitude?

It doesn’t even cross people’s minds.

That’s how taboo it is. Because no one would ever think it would ever be possible! So while there are those stories where I find it incredible that the couple can beat the odds and fight in defense of their love, this one takes the cake. And no, I’m not saying after reading this I’m all for incestuous relationships. At all.

*cringes*

Because I don’t really think that’s what this story’s about.

To me it was more than the fact that they’re siblings–it’s that they share the one type of bond that will never be accepted and would be actively persecuted and prosecuted, but even that couldn’t stop them. It was about the possible depth of love and both the pain and joy that can come from it. Because honestly?

There were times I even forgot they were related at all and I just felt for them, as if they were in any other kind of relationship.

And that ending? Pretty freaking devastating. I only felt like I was going to die a thousand soul-crushing deaths. I’m still torn up about it. It shouldn’t have ended like that. They deserved so much better than what happened to them. And on top of the pain I feel for Lochan and Maya, the devastation that I know their little siblings Kit, Tiffin and Willa went through is more than heartbreaking.

*groans in frustration*

THIS BOOK.

*pulls hair*

Were there uncomfortable moments? Uh, yeah. But you know what far outweighed those? The whole rest of the bleeping book. Tabitha Suzuma, you are a master at twisting my mind and manipulating my feels.

5/5 STARS;) ( )
  danitronmc | May 21, 2014 |
I loved this book right up until the end which I found completely unbelievable. I posted my final thoughts in a budy read and I am going to copy and paste them into a spoiler tag here, don't read it unless you have finished the book! [ what the hell was that? That was the stupidest ending ever and I'm not just saying that because it was unhappy, I expected an unhappy ending. If it is a good ending I enjoy unhappy endings sometimes, there is nothing wrong with a good tragedy and that's not why I don't like it. For one thing how did kitt get the mother to come home when they have all been trying that the entire book? Whatever though, I expected them to get caught and they did even if it was under unbelievable circumstances. Next issue is when the hell did they decide to have sex? Don't get me wrong I am glad they did, I loved that part and was happy for them but it was unbelievable. I know all the reasons they decided not to have sex and those where believable but then all of a sudden she asks him if he got the condom and he says yes. What made them change their minds and why was it not written about. I honestly don't believe that they would have changed their minds about it with the fear of the consequences. I do believe that in the heat of the moment they both may have decided to go all the way but I don't believe they would have planned it for one second. Now on to my real problem with the ending, why the fuck would they say he raped her? Because they would both go to jail if it was consensual? Bullshitt!!!!!!! Even if consensual incest does carry jail time there is no way in hell that maya would serve any. She is 16 and not a legal adult! Worst case scenario is that lochan gets charged with statutory rape and incest, but there is no way they would both be arrested. And that's if they said it was consensual, why not get dressed and watch tv and act surprised when the police busted in? Obviously the police would believe that she hadn't just been raped due to the fact she is not curled up in a fetal position somewhere rocking back and forth bawling her eyes out. Tell them that their mother is an alcoholic, so what? They won't be taken away just for that. If they told the police she had abandoned them then yea probably but I doubt they would be taken away over one report of her being an alcoholic. And even if they did get taken away, lochan is 18 now and can be their legal guardian. I said earlier that I could imagine happy ending but they where not believable, well this crap ending was a billion times less believable than any happy ending that I had imagined. ( )
  justin.eaton.35 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Lochan frequenta l'ultimo di scuola, ed è quasi maggiorenne. E' molto bravo negli scritti ed ha degli ottimi voti ma essendo introverso ha difficoltà nelle materi orali, il che, per poter andare all'università è fondamentale.
Abita con sua madre, che passa la maggior parte del tempo fuori casa a spassarsela col compagno Dave e quando è a casa è ubriaca, e con le sorelle Maya e Willa ed i fratelli Kit e Tiffin; il padre se n'è andato in Australia con un'altra donna lasciandoli soli e in difficoltà. Vivono in una casa popolare, contornata da bottiglie rotte e lattine vuote in un quartiere decadente, dove la maggior parte dei bambini vive per strada senza alcun genitore che si occupi di loro.
Lochan è il fratello maggiore, l'"uomo di casa" come lo definiscono sua madre e sua sorella Maya, più piccola di lui di soli 13 mesi, con la quale ormai si occupa a tempo pieno dei fratelli più piccoli, delle spese, della cucina, insomma di tutto ciò che due adolescenti non dovrebbero preoccuparsi.
Tra i due fratelli si instaura un rapporto molto profondo, e diventano un sostegno l'uno per l'altra, ed insieme dovranno rimediare ai danni che due genitori assenti hanno creato sia nelle loro vite che in quelle dei fratelli più piccoli cercando di sopperire alle mancanze di quelli che invece avrebbero dovuto colmare e riempire d'amore i propri figli.
Questo è uno di quei libri che ti arriva dentro come un pugno, che ti prende il cuore e te lo strazia. Vorresti smettere di leggere perchè non vuoi credere che possa esistere una storia del genere ma poi ti rendi conto che questa purtroppo è la realtà di molti, una realtà che riguarda molte famiglie e questo fa ancora più male, perchè ti rendi conto che in una storia come questa c'è poco di irreale.
La scrittrice è stata veramente brava a trasportarmi nella vita di Lochan e di Maya, e tutti i personaggi sono ben descritti.
Veramente un bellissimo libro!! Lo consiglio a chi ama le storie con sentimenti veri e profondi, e a chi cerca emozioni forti.
SPOILER PER CHI HA LETTO IL LIBRO
Ho concluso la lettura di questa storia sconvolgente e straziante, e adesso posso ricominciare a respirare...sono rimasta incollata alle pagine finali senza riuscire a smettere di leggere pur essendo tarda notte, nonostante le lacrime ed il dolore, non puoi non andare avanti.
Adesso che ci ripenso, sento un magone dentro, il peso e il dolore che hanno vissuto Lochan e Maya. L'amore tra fratello e sorella, qualcosa di innaturale e di proibito...ma anche le loro responsabilità erano innaturali; loro dovevano e avrebbero dovuto essere dei ragazzi come tanti,con una madre presente e non perennemente fuori casa o ubriaca, senza il peso di crescere i fratelli più piccoli, cucinare, badare alla casa, pagare le bollette...quando la vita stessa è malsana si commette qualcosa di malsano e ci si appiglia a qualunque cosa e non si comprende più cosa sia giusto o sbagliato!!!
Anche se sembra assurdo, dopo che si legge un libro del genere si riesce a comprendere almeno in parte ciò che può scattare nella mente di alcuni ragazzi che vengono abbandonati dai genitori, a come si possano sentire soli ed a come ci si possa affezionare addirittura tra un fratello e una sorella, trasformarlo in amore, l'amore quello vero, quello che ti travolge, che ti illumina, che ti può innalzare e distruggere allo stesso tempo.
Pur essendo un amore proibito il loro, l'autrice è riuscita a far comprendere il perchè di tale amore e di provare compassione e comprensione per una situazione del genere.
Il mio pensiero alla conclusione del libro è: il carcere e la gogna ai genitori di queste anime indifese e non ai bambini e ai ragazzi che non comprendono e non conoscono nessun'altra forma d'amore se non la solidarietà tra fratelli, che a volte può diventare amore, pur di credere ancora che qualcosa di buono al mondo ancora c'è!

Emanuela.Booklove | Oct 6, 2013 |
For Akiko, with love

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love.

But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...

'How can something so wrong feel so right?'

She is pretty and talented, 16 and never been kissed. He is 17, gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. Only one problem, they're brother and sister. 'Forbidden' will take readers on an extraordinary emotional journey.… (more)

Tabitha Suzuma is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible