Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Tabitha Suzuma

Member:CatHellisen
Title:Forbidden
Authors:Tabitha Suzuma
Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:audiobooks, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:dark&twisted, YA

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma (2010)

English (83)  Italian (2)  All languages (85)
This book kept me up till 3am. It's atmosphere was palpable and the characters were well rounded. The ending has me reeling still, I wish I could get it out of my head. 4 stars for being one of those books that truly has a difficult ending to swallow. ( )
  atticadayz | Jun 13, 2016 |
I was surprised at how much I was affected by this book, and these characters. I was expecting just another taboo story of incest, but found myself rooting for these characters and their love. I had to keep putting the book down because I was afraid to find out what was going to happen, but had to press on because I NEEDED to know! I was left in tears and heartbroken when I reached the end. This is one I will keep and share with others if I can. Not everyone is down for this type of read. But I highly recommend it. ( )
  Roquetfyre | Mar 26, 2016 |
Just finished this book and now I have no words. Well let's try and let me tell you how I read this book.

Started it and at first I thought it was okay, but then I got bored of all the chapters filled with them liking each other but not giving in to it, or all their arguments. So at 50% of the book I thought shall I quit and pick another book to read? (again geez. has been happening too many times this year!)

So I flicked through the book. (By the way,I did love the characters of the children. They were very real to me.) Then all of a sudden they had sex (Oops! Not the children) and I started to read a bit slower, wondering what would happen to them. Well I did like the ending. it even made me shed a tear, which I think is quite good for a book I rushed through at some parts.

So yes. I now wonder what the author was after. Did she mean that incest when both parties want it, should be okay?

Or was it to show how we all judge and that it might not be as bad as we think?
I can't give it 2 stars cause she did manage to move me in the end. Can't give it 4 stars cause she bored me for nearly half of the book so 3 it will be. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
This book was surprisingly emotional.

I thought that I would be grossed out by the story, I mean how could exploring the topic of incest not make anyone feel rather queasy; but it was a tragic heartwarming story.

Lochan and Maya have pretty depressing lives, their absent mother forces them to be the sole caregivers for their 3 younger siblings and daily life is a struggle. Perhaps because of being forced into a father/mother role, Lochan and Maya do the unspeakable - develop romantic feelings for eachother. The whole story revolves around fighting for their love yet trying to supress it as best they could. Unsurprisingly supressing feelings doesn't turn out well.

There are many moral questions the reader is faced with after reading this book. Is it truly the right of law and government to dictate who a person can love and who they cannot? If two people consent, is it still criminal? Many more questions like these bubbled to the surface of my mind and it was bloody uncomfortable to think about. I think that is what makes books like these interesting; taking the reader through a journey exploring a controversial topic (that most people have a very black and white mindset about) and turning the issue into varying shades of grey. Brilliant.

4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I have read most of Suzuma's books and I must say she is not afraid to tackle challenging topics - incest in this case. Told from alternating points of view I felt sorry for both Maya and Lochan, and their predicament, but I couldn't get past the fact they were brother and sister. As for the ending, it felt rushed and too contrived for my liking. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Akiko, with love

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love.

But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...

'How can something so wrong feel so right?'

She is pretty and talented, 16 and never been kissed. He is 17, gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. Only one problem, they're brother and sister. 'Forbidden' will take readers on an extraordinary emotional journey.… (more)

Tabitha Suzuma is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,121,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible