Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Tabitha Suzuma

Member:CatHellisen
Title:Forbidden
Authors:Tabitha Suzuma
Info:Simon Pulse (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:audiobooks, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:dark&twisted, YA

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma (2010)

English (71)  Italian (2)  All languages (73)
**No spoilers or rehash.

I'm gonna need some time to process this book...

Ok, it's 5 days and 2 books later and I feel I can now come back and review this. What a strange book. I simultaneously like and dislike it. If I had to choose one word to describe it, I'd choose "riveting". I was glued to the book, though, truth be told, I knew what was coming and my morbid curiosity and I couldn't wait to get there.

I was intrigued by how the author was going to present the ... "unpresentable?" and sell us on it. I'd have to say that overall, I was impressed. It wasn't just a free-for-all, but rather a buildup, a slow simmer if you will. Mainly, the focus was on the siblings’ home life and it stirred a lot of sympathy and emotion in me.

I will say that when the time came, it made me squirm. I knew it was coming, but I still sat there with my mouth hanging open. It’s just so ingrained in me how wrong it is, but it’s interesting that even in my squeamishness, I rooted for them. That’s what this book does. It blurs the line between right and wrong and though you know where you’re firmly planted, it throws you at times.

As much as I enjoyed it, I also had some issues with it. Waaaay too much angst. Waaaay too melodramatic. Lochan, especially, was just too much for me. I found myself skimming through paragraph after paragraph of his despair and woe & bullshit. It was too much for my taste.

Overall, it’s a good book. While the majority of people would be aghast to get it on with their bro or sis, we all know there are people out there that are willing to cross that line. This book is well worth reading if only to see things from a different perspective. That being said, I’d rather scratch my eyes out than get it on with my bro and we weren’t even raised together. Blecch.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
5 STARS (but it deserves much more)
What an emotional, tragic, realistic story. I don't think that I have any tears left. I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this book: I'm flabbergasted at how amazing it was. I would like to tell you how much I love and hate this book, all at the same time. But I can't, I just can't. Just read this. ( )
  lp_xo | Aug 5, 2014 |
I am emotionally wrecked. I will probably be traumatized for the next month, at least. ( )
  thenerdypuffer | Jul 1, 2014 |
Wow. This book was amazing. You have 5 siblings and 1 drunken low-life "mom" who make up this family. The father took of years ago, to create another family, and in that time the "mom" has spent her time trying to be a teenager again and forgetting that she has kids or responsibilities. I wanted to shake the mom, so many times.
Lochan and Maya are the oldest of the siblings and they have taken the mother and father role for many years. They get up early, get the younger kids up, dressed, and fed before hauling them off to school. They clean the house, pay the bills, put the kids to bed, read bed time stories, entertain them, help with their homework all the while attending high school themselves and not enjoying any of the freedoms that come with being teenagers.
Lochan has the obstacles of being the man of the house and having a severe social phobia. He cannot function like most people and can hardly hold conversations with strangers, especially kids his age, or even make eye contact. And he is the best looking guy in their entire school.
Maya is gorgeous, breezy, and is just functioning like a typical student and only her best friend knows that she is practically a parent to 3 other kids.
If the police were to find out that they were raising their siblings, they would put all the kids in separate foster homes so they learn they must keep quiet about their troubles and just try to get through the day. Giving in to exhaustion is not an option.
Maya and Lochan are close and have always tried to help each other out with the kids but it isn't until Maya gets asked out on a date that things take a turn. Lochan can't sleep, he can't think, and he's not sure why. And Maya doesn't understand why she can't feel anything for this attractive, well-off, popular boy who seems to really be attracted to her. All she can think of is Lochan…
So as it comes, they both realize they are completely in love with each other and even though they find it sick at times, they can't help their feelings, nor do they want to. It is such a good read!!!! ( )
  KatieHeflin | Jun 16, 2014 |
A word of caution: This book is not for the faint of heart.

When I read the summary for this story, I was willing to try it out but I was afraid that it would be hard for me to get through, for seemingly obvious reasons. And it was an incredible struggle to read.

But not for the reason you would expect.

You want to talk about broken feels? I don’t even know how to be after reading this. There is always a place in readers’ hearts for the love story that has everything in the world working against it, and sometimes there are even obstacles of fantastical and paranormal and just ASTRONOMICAL standards fighting against a couple. But a relationship of this magnitude?

It doesn’t even cross people’s minds.

That’s how taboo it is. Because no one would ever think it would ever be possible! So while there are those stories where I find it incredible that the couple can beat the odds and fight in defense of their love, this one takes the cake. And no, I’m not saying after reading this I’m all for incestuous relationships. At all.

*cringes*

Because I don’t really think that’s what this story’s about.

To me it was more than the fact that they’re siblings–it’s that they share the one type of bond that will never be accepted and would be actively persecuted and prosecuted, but even that couldn’t stop them. It was about the possible depth of love and both the pain and joy that can come from it. Because honestly?

There were times I even forgot they were related at all and I just felt for them, as if they were in any other kind of relationship.

And that ending? Pretty freaking devastating. I only felt like I was going to die a thousand soul-crushing deaths. I’m still torn up about it. It shouldn’t have ended like that. They deserved so much better than what happened to them. And on top of the pain I feel for Lochan and Maya, the devastation that I know their little siblings Kit, Tiffin and Willa went through is more than heartbreaking.

*groans in frustration*

THIS BOOK.

*pulls hair*

Were there uncomfortable moments? Uh, yeah. But you know what far outweighed those? The whole rest of the bleeping book. Tabitha Suzuma, you are a master at twisting my mind and manipulating my feels.

5/5 STARS;) ( )
  danitronmc | May 21, 2014 |
For Akiko, with love

Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love.

But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...

'How can something so wrong feel so right?'

She is pretty and talented, 16 and never been kissed. He is 17, gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. Only one problem, they're brother and sister. 'Forbidden' will take readers on an extraordinary emotional journey.… (more)

Tabitha Suzuma is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,117,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible