One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper…

One of Our Thursdays is Missing

by Jasper Fforde

Series: Thursday Next (6)

1,7361004,078 (3.98)2 / 180
    Shades of Grey: A Novel by Jasper Fforde (Kerian)
    Kerian: Though Shades of Grey stands apart from Fforde's other works for not at all being about books, he's most proud of it, the book keeps with his humor, and it should likewise be very enjoyable for fans of Fforde.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)

English (98)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All (100)
Very funny. The shift to a written Thursday Next as the protag made for an interesting pov. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | May 3, 2017 |
Finished this right as I went to Fforde Fiesta (which was absurdly fun) and found that out of all the JF books I've read, this one is the weakest one in the bunch. It felt more like a filler book rather then an adventure set of it's own, which was disappointing. At times I felt like the plot dipped in and out of consciousness and i wasn't sure exactly what was going on. But Jasper is an incredibly strong storyteller and even his worst fallacies as a writer are heads above most other writers.

Even with the occasional annoyances and weak plot lines, this is still an engrossing and entertaining read. Would recommend if you're a JF purist, but if you're dipping in and out of his series, you can skip this without losing much of the backstory.

byshieldmaiden | Jan 17, 2017 |
I love this series, but this one didn't seem to have quite the intellectual depth of some of the others in the series. Still, I am addicted to this series as it keeps me constantly guessing. The author somehow constantly lulls me into thinking the narrative will follow a conventional path only to once again surprise me with a unique twist. Lots of fun. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
What an imagination! I love all of Jasper Fforde's books. They are clever, humorous and totally different than anything else I've ever read. As usual I can't wait until he writes the next one! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
In this, the sixth Thursday Next book, the Written Thursday finds she may be more like the Real Thursday than she expected. If you have not read the previous Thursday Next books, I will caution you that they can be a bit confusing at first. The BookWorld is a very odd place. Imagine every scene and every character from every book ever written, every description from both fiction and nonfiction, existing in their own reality, constructed, not of matter and energy, but of words, letters, and graphemes. Different countries represent different literary genres and it seems as if a war is brewing between some of them. No spoilers, but the Written Thursday soon suspects the Real Thursday is missing and needs to fill in for her. She is assisted by a new character to the series, Sprockett, a clockwork automaton.

The prose is a bit rough and sometimes the physics of BookWorld, such as it is, makes very little sense, but this is still an entertaining and fairly light read, especially for bibliophiles and writers who will smile at the allusions to literary characters and the mechanics of narrative.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Even those new to the Nextian universe must admire the audacity of the world Fforde has created, with its Steampunk-influenced contraptions, double entendre literary landmarks and skewering of the publishing industry, even the popularity of "the ghostwriter's" books. Ironically, this abundance of material may also make this latest installment, remade world notwithstanding, a bit bewildering for those new to the series.

There is no denying Fforde’s supersized imagination, linguistic agility and love of books, Books, BOOKS. One of Our Thursdays is Missing is crowded with both classical references (he tweaks Russian literature for its of clusters of impossible to distinguish names) and bestseller citings (Shreve Plaza and Picoult Junction are suggestively close). Dickens and the great, deleted Samuel Pepys; Hemingway and FitzGerald; Ludlum and Grisham; Lord of the Rings and I, Robot — no era or genre or style of books gets left out.

Read the earlier books, then read One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing. It is pure, inspired lunacy and the funniest book you will see this year.

With places like Our Blessed Lady of the Lobster, a designated love interest and diabolical wordplays, puns and hilarious illustrations including one captioned “Don’t anyone move…I think we’ve driven into a mimefield” complete with a license plate reading ISBN, this madcap tale delivers great good fun.

Jasper Ffordeprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Tif Loehnis
To whom I owe my career
and my consequence
much else besides
Everyone remembers where they were when the BookWorld was remade.

But all is not yet lost. Living at the quiet end of speculative fiction is the written Thursday Next, who is attempting to keep her own small four-book series both respectful to her illustrious namesake and far from the from specter of being remaindered.

Despite her desire to stay out of the spotlight, written Thursday Next is asked by Jurisfiction to investigate a novel that has suffered an in-red breakup and deposited a narrative debris field halfway across the BookWorld. It's not quite so straightforward: Someone has ground the ISBN numbers from the wreckage, and all of a sudden the mysterious Men in Plaid want her dead.

As the hunt for answers takes her from the Council of Genres to Fan Fiction and from Comedy to Vanity publishing, written Thursday realizes that real Thursday had been investigating a plot fiendish enough to be killed for. But who is responsible? Only a trip up the mighty Metaphoric River and a visit to the hideously frightening RealWorld can provide the answers.

With her clockwork butler, Sprockett, and her Designated Love Interest, Whitby Jett, Thursday has come to grips with her inability to live up to her namesake's talent and prove herself to the one person she respects more than anyone else: the real her...

It is a time of unrest in the BookWorld. Only the diplomatic skills of ace literary detective Thursday Next can avert a devastating genre war. But a week before the peace talks, Thursday vanishes. Has she simply returned home to the RealWorld or is this something more sinister?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,040,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible