Det store hus : roman by Nicole Krauss

Det store hus : roman (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Nicole Krauss

1,4801135,026 (3.5)1 / 299
Member:mai-britt
Title:Det store hus : roman
Authors:Nicole Krauss
Info:[Kbh.] : Gyldendal, 2012.

Great House by Nicole Krauss (2010)

English (106)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  English (114)
Wanted to love this more than I did. I wanted it to be a literary "Red Violin". Its structure was in part genius, but not genius enough for me to easily reconstruct the desk's history, and with a book like this, you kind of have to be able to do that. I don't think I'm such a dolt I wouldn't be able to figure it out, but it was weary-making that way. Near miss with gorgeous writing. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
I adored The History of Love, but this one didn't work for me. Something about the writing--I thought all of the voices sounded similar, and I could never get into the characters. And the resolution was anticlimactic. Not a winner, in my opinion. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Gave up and sent it to D.F. Maybe another day.
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
I just couldn't get into this book, and I have far more books to read than I have years left of this planet. ( )
  earthsinger | Mar 25, 2016 |
Generally, I liked the writing but felt like the connections between the various characters/story lines were too vague. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Tegelijk zijn het dergelijke zwaar aangezette scènes die de roman doen overhellen naar kitsch. Vooral omdat Krauss je niet de kans geeft om er zelf conclusies uit te trekken. Ligt het sentiment er al vrij dik bovenop, ze smeert er nog een laag bij door steeds te spreken van ‘tremendous guilt’ en ‘crushing sadness’. Er wordt hier zo veel verteld over gevoelens dat er weinig daadwerkelijk te voelen valt.
added by SimoneA | editNRC, Yra van Dijk (Nov 3, 2010)

For Sasha and Cy
Talk to him.
There are times when the kindness of strangers only makes matters worse because one realizes how badly one is in need of kindness and that the only source is a stranger.
It was one of those winter nights in England when the darkness that falls at three makes nine feel like midnight, reminding one of how far north one has staked one's life.
We stood in the hall of the house that had once been all of our house, a house that had been filled with life, every last room of it brimming with laughter, arguments, tears, dust, the smell of food, pain, desire, anger, and silence, too, the tightly coiled silence of people pressed up against each other in what is called a family.
As if to touch, ritually, one last time, every enduring pocket of pain. No, the powerful emotions of youth don’t mellow with time. One gets a grip on them, cracks a whip, forces them down. You build your defenses. Insist on order. The strength of feeling doesn’t lessen, it is simply contained.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393079988, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2010: In each of the short stories that nest like rooms in Nicole Krauss's Great House looms a tremendous desk. It may have belonged to Federico García Lorca, the great poet and dramatist who was one of thousands executed by Fascists in 1936, when the Spanish Civil War began. We know that the desk stood in Weisz's father's study in Budapest on a night in 1944, when the first stone shattered their window. After the war, Weisz hunts furniture looted from Jewish homes by the Nazis. He scours the world for the fragments to reassemble that study's every element, but the desk eludes him, and he and his children live at the edges of its absence. Meanwhile, it spends a few decades in an attic in England, where a woman exhumes the memories she can't speak except through violent stories. She gives the desk to the young Chilean-Jewish poet Daniel Varsky, who takes it to New York and passes it on (before he returns to Chile and disappears under Pinochet) to Nadia, who writes seven novels on it before Varsky's daughter calls to claim it. Crossing decades and continents, the stories of Great House narrate feeling more than fact. Krauss's characters inhabit "a state of perpetual regret and longing for a place we only know existed because we remember a keyhole, a tile, the way the threshold was worn under an open door," and a desk whose multitude of drawers becomes a mausoleum of memory. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

Connected solely by a desk of enormous dimension and many drawers that exerts a power over those who possess it or give it away, three people--a lonely American novelist clinging to the memory of a poet who has mysteriously vanished in Chile, an old man in Israel facing the imminent death of his wife of 51 years, and an esteemed antiques dealer tracking down the things stolen from his father by the Nazis--struggle to create a meaningful permanence in the face of inevitable loss.… (more)

W.W. Norton

3 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393310647, 0393079988, 0393340643

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Great House by Nicole Krauss was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,686,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible