Annexed by Sharon Dogar

by Sharon Dogar

Member:cbritt29
Title:Annexed
Authors:Sharon Dogar
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages

Annexed by Sharon Dogar

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
I really objected to the premise of this book, even though it was short listed for a children's award. Anne Frank was a real girl who died in the war - this feels like fan fiction or a school exercise, that piggy backs on her diary to say how annoying she was. It doesn't feel necessary or useful. ( )
  kk1 | May 30, 2018 |
After finishing Anne Frank's diary, I was stunk in a Frank funk, so I immediately reached for ANNEXED. Right from the beginning, I was a little off-put by the relationship between Peter and his mother. After all, hadn't he said they didn't get along well in Anne's diary? I liked the relationship between Peter and his parents, for sure, but I felt like the author missed out on a golden opportunity. A famous quote that came from Otto Frank after reading Anne's diary was "Most parents don't really know their children." And since this is a YA novel, it would've been a great chance to expand on that idea and show how Peter's parents, though their relationship with their son was good, they didn't know all of him. It felt kind of one-dimensional at times because we didn't see much or any conflict between Peter and his parents.

Expanding on that, I think part one in the Annex was really lacking. This is historical fiction. You get to dip your fingers into the past and expand. Where was the development between the others in the attic? What about all the fights Anne talks about, the discussions, the grievances with each other? These people were trapped together for two years! There was tension between them! Anne mentions things briefly (like the arguments), and I'm really disappointed that the author didn't expand on them, show what got on each other's nerves! The entire first part of the book consisted of Peter moping around (and do you really think that wouldn't get old after two years, trapped inside or not? The people in the Annex kept busy!) and even when Anne enters his life, there was no real spark or excitement. Yes, Anne and Peter's romance wasn't of the ages, but the feelings could've been touched on, explore more of why they are clinging to each other, and it could've been much more poignant.

A scene near the beginning of the book, when they are in the attic and Peter shouts, I found absolutely ridiculous. I could handle it when he whistled. I could deal with him shouting. But when his father shouted back, and then they all go after Peter and he's "screaming"? I know it was meant to be a representation of his emotions and the feelings of entrapment, but come on, these people were in hiding. Like I said, I could understand the shout, but when his father shouted back? You really think the adults would be so stupid as to add to any noise?

The end was very nicely done. I enjoyed the camps and the way it was presented. I felt like the "light touch" writing style that the author had really worked well here. The ending really brought it up for me, but ultimately I was disappointed. ANNEXED could have pushed the boundaries a bit more, got into the details a bit more, and explored the Annex enough to bring it alive. ( )
  KatCarson | Nov 23, 2017 |
I did like this book. Such a horrible time for so many people and books like this will help us not forget this tragedy. Hearing from peter's viewpoint, even though fictionalized, added more light on the years go hiding in the annex. It was written for a younger audience but i did feel that it was a little repetitive at times and I didn't like the headings at the beginning of the chapters.
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
Narrated and performed by cast. This audio version of the fictionalized story of Peter Van Pels dramatically expresses and prolongs his enduring melancholy in a way that probably doesn't come out the same in print. There were times while listening that the sadness was just so acute and depressing, my god. At first I wasn't too keen on the actor voicing Peter; he sounded like an old man and Peter is supposed to be 16. But I think it was because Peter was looking back on the time in the annex while he lay in sick bay in the concentration camp. This recreation of a teenage boy's experience in hiding adds thoughtful heft to the Anne Frank genre. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I grew up with the story of Anne Frank and her diary. I was thrilled when I was younger to discover we shared the same birth date. For these reasons I decided to read this book that is wonderfully told from Peter Van Pels point of view. It was interesting to note that Peter saw Anne as a very annoying child until they had shared the annex for a couple of years. We then find his opinion of her changing. He has begun to fall for her. I kept wondering, if they had both lived, would they have ended up together? Anne tried to look at the good in people and God, whereas Peter kind of took the other road. Anne always expressed herself through her writing. Peter liked to express himself through his drawing. What is interesting about this book is that we look at Peter’s life once he is sent to the concentration camp. No, we don’t really know his story. The author has done a lot of research into what it would have been like. She based it on the accounts of survivors. It is often hard to tell what is actually true and what is fiction because the writing has so beautifully intertwined the facts with fiction. I did enjoy the end of her book where she tells the reader what happened to Anne and those who spent all of that time hiding in the Annex. This is definitely a book not to be missed. ( )
  skstiles612 | Nov 28, 2015 |
TO JEM, XA, AND ELLA,

OUR CHILDREN.

THIS IS FOR YOU.

THANK YOU.

May you never lay your head
down without a hand to hold...
It is nearly five months into 1945. The Second World War is about to end. Peter van Pels is in a Nazi concentration camp called Mauthausen. He is recorded as having been admitted to the sick bay there on April 11. This would mean he was in the sick bay for more than three weeks, which is either inaccurate or extraordinary.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0547501951, Hardcover)

Everyone knows about Anne Frank and her life hidden in the secret annex – but what about the boy who was also trapped there with her?

In this powerful and gripping novel, Sharon Dogar explores what this might have been like from Peter’s point of view. What was it like to be forced into hiding with Anne Frank, first to hate her and then to find yourself falling in love with her? Especially with your parents and her parents all watching almost everything you do together. To know you’re being written about in Anne’s diary, day after day? What’s it like to start questioning your religion, wondering why simply being Jewish inspires such hatred and persecution? Or to just sit and wait and watch while others die, and wish you were fighting.

As Peter and Anne become closer and closer in their confined quarters, how can they make sense of what they see happening around them?

Anne’s diary ends on August 4, 1944, but Peter’s story takes us on, beyond their betrayal and into the Nazi death camps. He details with accuracy, clarity and compassion the reality of day to day survival in Auschwitz – and ultimately the horrific fates of the Annex’s occupants.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

The story of the boy who loved Anne Frank.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible