The Bells by Richard Harvell

The Bells (2010)

by Richard Harvell

3804728,382 (4)59

When I look at my copy of The Bells sitting in front of me, I cannot believe it lies there immobile and lifeless. The sounds and music within its pages should make the book throb and vibrate across the table. During the time I spent entranced with this story, my body rang like the bells within its pages.
The Bells is a fictional autobiography, a letter written by a castrati father to his son, explaining how their relationship came to be. Moses Froben is born in a remote Swiss village to a deaf-mute woman who finds her one great pleasure (apart from her love for her son) in the vibrations she feels ringing the massive bells in her village's church. These bells are so loud that the villagers clamp their hands to their ears, but the sound has a different effect on Moses, giving him an almost magical ability to hear and dissect sounds, near and far. When the village priest (his father) discovers that Moses is not deaf like his mother, the man attempts to drown Moses in a river. Moses is rescued by traveling monks, Nicolai and Remus, and taken to the monastery at St. Gall. Here his angelic voice is discovered by the choir master and preserved for all time by a horrible act of castration.
Surprisingly, The Bells is a love story, for Moses falls in love with a woman who is forbidden to him. The Bells is also a mystery—for how can Moses, a castrati, a musico, be the father of the recipient of this novel-length letter? Finally, The Bells is music. Harvell's magical prose gives sound to Moses' life: the bells, the arias, and the uneven breath of true love. ( )
1 vote elizabethcfelt | May 15, 2017 |
In a time when the church was the centre of every town and the bells called the faithful to worship, Moses Froben was born in a bellfry to a deaf/mute mother. The circumstances of Moses’ birth are as mysterious as the story he is telling his son about his own conception. The narration takes us from the point of Moses’ expulsion from his village, to his rescue and life in a monastary, through to Vienna and his success as a singer. Unfortunately, everything comes at a cost and Moses unwillingly pays the highest price for the gift of his voice … he is made a castrati.

I have heard this book described as “reading an opera", and although I am not an opera fan I can definitely see the comparisons. The compelling story which leads to moments of extreme happiness and moments of heartwrenching despair. An aria sung by a soprano and an orchestral crescendo would be most appropriate at those moments.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I have to say, this one was pretty interesting. There were a few places that got me a bit bogged down, but I think I was held back a bit by my fear that it was going to become an icky "Catholic men molest the kid" story. Which it wasn't, and once that became clear, I read pretty quickly.

As a musician, I found this engaging, but I was also impressed with the historical detail and enjoyed the characters, particularly Nicholai and Gaudagni. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Meh. This one was good enough, but nothing amazing. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |
This is a GREAT book that could end up a modern classic of historical fiction. The plot follows a young boy with exceptional hearing who uses this skill to become an almost supernaturally-gifted choral singer.

Harvell takes us from the rural Switzerland of the 1700s to the slums, concert halls, and courts of Vienna. The road is paved with the stuff of grand ficton: menace, loss, heatbreak, redemption, art, faith, friendship, family... Yeah, ALL of that! And with such a sure hand that you would never guess that this is a debut.

I compare the read to one of my favorites: Patrick Suskind's PERFUME... not just because of some thematic similarities but also because of the depth of language, character, and general gravitas.

Read this one.
I mean it!

JohnHastie | Apr 5, 2013 |
One of the most difficult feats Harvell accomplishes in "The Bells" is capturing the physical experience of music. It warms necks and backs, resonates in jaws and temples, and rings in chests and legs. Music fights with death, seduces a woman, guides a thief and ultimately triumphs in love.

To Dominique
First, there were the bells.

I grew up as the son of a man who could not possibly have been my father. Though there was never any doubt that my seed had come from another man, Moses Froben, Lo Svizzero, called me “son.” And I called him “father.” On the rare occasions when someone dared to ask for clarification, he simply laughed as though the questioner were obtuse. “Of course he’s not my son!” he would say. “Don’t be ridiculous.”

But whenever I myself gained the courage to ask him further of our past, he just looked sadly at me. “Please, Nicolai,” he would say after a moment, as though we had made a pact I had forgotten. With time, I came to understand I would never know the secrets of my birth, for my father was the only one who knew these secrets, and he would take them to his grave.

The celebrated opera singer Lo Svizzero was born in a belfry high in the Swiss Alps where his mother served as the keeper of the loudest and most beautiful bells in the land. Shaped by the bells’ glorious music, as a boy he possessed an extraordinary gift for sound. But when his preternatural hearing was discovered—along with its power to expose the sins of the church—young Moses Froben was cast out of his village with only his ears to guide him in a world fraught with danger.

Rescued from certain death by two traveling monks, he finds refuge at the vast and powerful Abbey of St. Gall. There, his ears lead him through the ancient stone hallways and past the monks’ cells into the choir, where he aches to join the singers in their strange and enchanting song. Suddenly Moses knows his true gift, his purpose. Like his mother’s bells, he rings with sound and soon, he becomes the protégé of the Abbey’s brilliant yet repulsive choirmaster, Ulrich.

But it is this gift that will cause Moses’ greatest misfortune: determined to preserve his brilliant pupil’s voice, Ulrich has Moses castrated. Now a young man, he will forever sing with the exquisite voice of an angel—a musico—yet castration is an abomination in the Swiss Confederation, and so he must hide his shameful condition from his friends and even from the girl he has come to love. When his saviors are exiled and his beloved leaves St. Gall for an arranged marriage in Vienna, he decides he can deny the truth no longer and he follows her—to sumptuous Vienna, to the former monks who saved his life, to an apprenticeship at one of Europe’s greatest theaters, and to the premiere of one of history’s most beloved operas.

In this confessional letter to his son, Moses recounts how his gift for sound led him on an astonishing journey to Europe’s celebrated opera houses and reveals the secret that has long shadowed his fame: How did Moses Froben, world renowned musico, come to raise a son who by all rights he never could have sired?

Like the voice of Lo Svizzero, The Bells is a sublime debut novel that rings with passion, courage, and beauty.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:31 -0400)

Born in an eighteenth-century Swiss Alps community where his mother was the keeper of the church bells, illegitimate youth Moses Froben is cast out by his self-serving father and seeks refuge in the historic Abbey of St. Gall, where he discovers his purpose in life through his singing.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Harvell's book The Bells was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,306,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible