Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin…

by Michael O. Tunnell

Member:Bethany1221
Title:Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot" (Junior Library Guild Selection (Charlesbridge Hardcover))
Authors:Michael O. Tunnell
Info:Charlesbridge Publishing (2010), Edition: New, Hardcover, 110 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:5th and up, novel, non fiction

Candy Bomber: The Story of the Berlin Airlift's "Chocolate Pilot" by Michael O. Tunnell

Candy Bomber is based on the true events of Lieutenant Gail Halvorsen after the Western Allies defeated Germany in World War II. When Russia created a blockade against the Western Allies that prevented them from bringing West Berlin supplies, the allies began to airlift food and clothing to West Berlin. When United States Lieutenant Gail Halvorsen met a group of children at Templehof, his two sticks of gun gave the children hope and happiness by giving him the idea to drop candy. Candy Bomber includes photographs, letters and drawings from children to Lieutenant Halvorsen. I think Candy Bomber is a great book to introduce to students because it shares a historical story about post-World War II. An activity that I would do with this book is the parachute activity that I had an opportunity to participate in my children's literature course. The activity allows children to create a parachute and drop a piece of candy. ( )
  jwesley | Apr 18, 2015 |
Candy Bomber creates a story within historical facts and doesn't leave a reader feeling like they are reading a textbook. The book captivates with real-life pictures of the pilots and events that the book talks about. The pictures bring the reader into the story and create a whole world surronding them when reading. In the beginning the book draws the reader in talking about how 2 sticks of gum became something so much bigger than ever imagined. Then throughout the book the reader is enticed to find out what exactly the 2 pieces of gum led to.
I like this book specifically because it takes a small thing in the aftermath of WWII that not many people may know about. It gives another look into the past and gives a new part of history to the reader. Would be a good book to read in the classroom after studying WWII. To gives students closure on the end of the war and the rebuilding and recovering that took place after that. ( )
  crieder95 | Apr 15, 2015 |
This was a fantastically in-depth look at the Berlin Airlift, and Operation "Little Vittles"in particular. There were amazing pictures from the private collection of "Uncle Wiggly Wings" (and OMG! how cute is that!) himself. As the reading and interest level suggest, this is a higher grade level book, with a great deal of text. I think the topic might interest younger kids, but I'm not sure how it could tie into the curriculum with younger children, and because it is "wordy" it would have to be meted out in chunks, not all at once. The pictures and letters humanize the people of Germany. It is so easy, especially for children, to view the Germans as all being Nazis, particularly after reading Holocaust literature. And while it is true that a great deal of Germans did nothing to stop the Nazis, they were not active participants in the genocide. Seeing that the Germans had children, and those children suffered too, makes it more accessible to students. I think any history, concerned with how it affected children, will resonate more with children. So while the actual "Operation Vittles" program would be interesting (and is addressed throughout) how much more fun and interesting are little parachuting bars of chocolate? This would be a great book to use after studying about WWII and the aftermath in Germany and the start of the Cold War.
Reading Level: 7.2 Interest Level: 5-8 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Apr 13, 2015 |
"This book is special to me because it tells about the people of Berlin who valued freedom over food. The Russians promised them food if they agreed to live under Soviet rule, but they refused. They wanted to be free, even if that meant going hungry."

The Candy Bomber was absolutely captivating, full of amazing pictures, detailed maps of the airlift routes, letters/drawings from children of Berlin, and even world maps of how the countries were divided up between the allies. The pictures really kept me flying through this book, but the meticulous attention to detail and grand imagery did as well. Although Lt. Gail Halvorsen's experiences are very real and this is a work of nonfiction, I almost felt as if I was reading a novel about a fictional pilot heading up these spectacularly kind and giving candy drops for starving children. I believe I felt like this simply because I never learned much about the aftermath of World War II in school. I was taught all about Hitler and the war, but never much about what happened afterwards. This would be a great way to further student knowledge after learning about WWII. Much like my love for some of the other nonfiction books I have read thus far, I love the many different aspects that Michael O. Tunnell touches and elaborates upon. In addition, this would be such a great title to use in the classroom because it has just enough of Halvorsen's biographical information to tie in with the historical context. Even so, my absolute favorite part of this book was the inspiring story of the Berlin children who would rather starve than lose their new found freedoms. On page 21, Halvorsen recalls, "These young kids [gave] me the most meaningful lesson in freedom I ever had." This could also be easily used in concurrence with an English class in order to explore the meaning of freedom in relation to other texts and also to look at just how much people are willing to sacrifice and go without in order to be free. I can think of a great writing prompt to begin a discussion with on this piece, for high school or middle school students. ( )
  ADReed | Feb 9, 2015 |
Candy Bomber is a great introduction for children about the aftermath of WWII in Berlin. I feel like not many people are really clear on what happened after the war, and this deals with one aspect - the Berlin Airlift. The story centers around US Air Force pilot Lt. Gail Halvorsen, and his inspirational flights delivering hope to the people of Berlin through the use of sweets. What I enjoyed most about this book was the way Tunnell addresses the historical and biographical nature of the text. He provides an accurate account of an historical event in a concise and easy-to-read format interspersed with photographs and first-person documents. This book is a great way to introduce young children to primary sources and how to effectively use them alongside text. Tunnell also provides a list of references at the end, which could allow students to do some research on their own if they're interested in finding out more about either the Berlin Airlift or the "Chocolate Pilot." Also, the historical note at the end was a nice add-on in case some students are using this book as an introduction to WWII. ( )
  vroussel | Feb 9, 2015 |
added by Katya0133 | editHorn Book, Susan Dove Lempke (Sep 1, 2010)

This is a real treat—a World War II title with a happy ending.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Eldon Younce (Jul 1, 2010)

[An] accessible and positive portrayal of a serviceman who wasn’t on the battlefield. Irresistible.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Kathleen Isaacs (Jun 1, 2010)

The abundance of war details aid in the transition from one chapter to the next but tend to overrun the telling, hampering narrative flow. Readers who stick with it, however, will gain a unusual perspective on the beginnings of the Cold War.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Jun 1, 2010)

"World War II was over, and Berlin was in ruins. US Air Force Lieutenant Gail Halvorsen knew the children of the city were suffering. They were hungry and afraid. The young pilot wanted to help, but what could one man in one plane do?"--dust jacket flap.… (more)

Charlesbridge

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1580893368, 1580893376

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,610,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible