Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan

Sea Hearts

by Margo Lanagan

Seal of approval. Will be reviewing Sea Hearts as soon as I can magic back my review-writing mojo. ( )
  BooktotheFuture | Oct 18, 2014 |
Lanagan introduces readers to an updated version of the ancient Scottish Selkies in her magical fairytale-like novel.

Read rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/the-brides-of-rollrock-island... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
A magical book about a woman who is able to transform seals into beautiful women and how the islanders coped with the results.

I was enchanted by this book. The language was a joy to read; lush and descriptive with a few strange words and syntax to remind a reader this was not our familiar world. Even the landscape appears magical. “Behind and around me the horizon shook in the upflying wind, as if the sea were on the point of bursting from its bowl, taking flight entirely.” But as with the sea-wives themselves, just under the beauty lurked a darker reality. The whole story was “horrid and beauteous,” like the song that called the women out of the seals. For me the most powerful element of this book was the ambiguity between good and evil that ran through it.
READ MORE: http://wp.me/p24OK2-1bd
  mdbrady | Sep 13, 2014 |
More a series of sequentially connected short stories than novel. The set up is very simple: on Rollrock Island, the men occasionally take as brides women drawn from within the seals that inhabit the beach in summer. These brides are far more beautiful than the women of the island, passive, devoted, and good mothers. Who makes this happen, why she does this, and what happens next, is a tale told by six different people over the course of a decade or so, in seven different fairly self-contained stories. Lanagan's stories are compulsive reading, with dramatic but believable resolutions, told in Lanagan's unique crystalline-clear evocative prose. I have but two minor complaints. First, I thought the short tale of Lory Severner was lightweight and too tidy. Second, in seven stories told by six very different characters, I always heard just one voice. But Lanagan is such a fine writer, I'm OK with that . ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Feb 19, 2014 |
I hate this cover. If I hadn't read [b:Tender Morsels|2662169|Tender Morsels|Margo Lanagan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320416424s/2662169.jpg|2687395], then I might have passed this up. But I know what this author is capable of so I'm not going to let that unfortunate cover design trip me up.
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
"The old witch is there," said Raditch, peering over the top to Six-Mile Beach. "Well settled with her knitting."
Australian publication titled "Sea Hearts".

On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings—and to catch their wives.

The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment.

Margo Lanagan weaves an extraordinary tale of desire, despair, and transformation. With devastatingly beautiful prose, she reveals characters capable of unspeakable cruelty, but also unspoken love.

"On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings--and to catch their wives. The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment"--… (more)

35 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible