The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo…

The Brides of Rollrock Island (edition 2012)

by Margo Lanagan

Member:kayceel
Title:The Brides of Rollrock Island
Authors:Margo Lanagan
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Teen, Read but unowned
Tags:teen fiction, 2013, MockPrintz2013, fantasy, historical fiction, folklore, selkies, island life, small towns, revenge, love, mothers and sons, magic

Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan

It all begins with Misskaella, a dissatisfied, unattractive young girl who discovers that she has an inexplicable affinity for the seals that bask on the rocks around Rollrock Island. First, she learns how to suppress this connection -- but later in her life, she learns how to exploit it. Misskaella can bring wives from the sea to the men of Rollrock: gentle, docile, sensual wives, more attractive and biddable than any land maiden. But, as Misskaella knows, the magic comes at a terrible price. . . .

I'm always a little intimidated by Margo Lanagan, for some reason. When I get past that and actually read her stuff, I find it intelligent and compelling. She does an excellent job with subtle emotion and atmosphere. This is the sort of book that sticks with the reader for days after the cover has been closed. ( )
  foggidawn | Jun 10, 2015 |
I found myself getting a bit bored with this one - also, the font wasn't my preferred font, so it fucked up my eyes a little bit and the enjoyment factor went down. With my shitty eyes that are in need of new prescription glasses, the font now has to be exactly right. :/ It's a pain.

Also, did I mention that this book is signed? I met the author last year at my city's first writer's festival, and she was super nice! :D ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Seal of approval. Will be reviewing Sea Hearts as soon as I can magic back my review-writing mojo. ( )
  BooktotheFuture | Oct 18, 2014 |
Lanagan introduces readers to an updated version of the ancient Scottish Selkies in her magical fairytale-like novel.

Read rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/the-brides-of-rollrock-island... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
A magical book about a woman who is able to transform seals into beautiful women and how the islanders coped with the results.

I was enchanted by this book. The language was a joy to read; lush and descriptive with a few strange words and syntax to remind a reader this was not our familiar world. Even the landscape appears magical. “Behind and around me the horizon shook in the upflying wind, as if the sea were on the point of bursting from its bowl, taking flight entirely.” But as with the sea-wives themselves, just under the beauty lurked a darker reality. The whole story was “horrid and beauteous,” like the song that called the women out of the seals. For me the most powerful element of this book was the ambiguity between good and evil that ran through it.
READ MORE: http://wp.me/p24OK2-1bd
  mdbrady | Sep 13, 2014 |

Margo Lanaganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
English, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oxer, EloiseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The old witch is there," said Raditch, peering over the top to Six-Mile Beach. "Well settled with her knitting."
Australian publication titled "Sea Hearts".

On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings—and to catch their wives.

The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment.

Margo Lanagan weaves an extraordinary tale of desire, despair, and transformation. With devastatingly beautiful prose, she reveals characters capable of unspeakable cruelty, but also unspoken love.

"On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings--and to catch their wives. The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment"--… (more)

45 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,932,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible