Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa

Winter's Passage (edition 2011)

by Julie Kagawa

Member:cloudynight
Title:Winter's Passage
Authors:Julie Kagawa
Info:MIRA Ink (2011), Kindle Edition, 51 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa

Meh. There has to be more to a series than finding yourself in a precarious situation with some unstoppable foe, but always managing to escape by the skin of your teeth. Short story that this was, it added nothing to the series as a whole. You can take it or leave it and not miss much. The only redeeming quality is a description of the Unseelie Court, though I'm sure we'll get that in book #2's rehash. So, meh.

The Wolf nodded. “You’re very lucky,” he told Ash. “Today.” Backing off, he shook himself once more and glared at us with grudging respect. “It was a good chase. Pray we do not meet again, for you will not even see me coming.”

OooOo. Scary. They may not see you coming, but they'll hear you for sure. You spent the whole time baying like an idiot and giving yourself away. (Eye roll)
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 3 stars

I didn't realize until I came to review it that it was 1.5. For some reason I was thinking it was 0.5. Oops. Now I need to go back and read 1.. though I would have sworn I already have. All these fey novels are overlapping in my brain. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
So good! A nice, quick and entertaining read that makes me want to read Iron Daughter even more! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I actually got Winter’s Passage as a Kindle freebie a couple years ago. At the time, I had never even heard of The Iron Fey series. However, after reading The Iron King, I needed just a little more before moving on to review books, so I picked up this novella.

Winter’s Passage picks up right at the end of The Iron King, when Ash comes to bring Meghan back to his mother, Queen Mab. She requests to just check on Puck before she goes. Since Meghan lives in Kentucky, and Puck is in a tree in New Orleans, the easiest way to get there is to go through the Nevernever. As the are crossing through the Wyldwood, they sense something chasing them. The rest of the Winter’s Passage is their journey to the Winter Court as the mysterious Hunter gives chase.

I thought that Winter’s Passage was a nice little story to put in between books 1 and 2 of the series, but that it wasn’t really necessary. It was nice to see some old friends (the dryads and Grimalkin) and to learn that there is always more going on in the Nevernever than we see or even expect, but at just 49 pages, it was a little too short for me to really get invested in anything. Just when I felt like things were getting good, it ended.

Overall, I thought that Winter’s Passage was a good little filler story if you’re just looking for more, and the ending definitely made me anxious to see what would happen in the next book, but it isn’t something that I would say you had to read.

You can also read this and other reviews on my blog: Mommy's Reading Break ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
There isn’t really a plot to summarise of this story – this is Meghan’s travel from her home to Tir Na Nog to fulfil the contract she made with Ash.

This novella is a nice bridge book.

It doesn’t exist to advancer the plot per se. Nor really to develop the characters. Puck, Meghan and Ash are the same people in this book as they were in the last book. You don’t need to read this book.

But it does elegantly take you from the end of The Iron King to the beginning of The Iron Daughter without having to slow down the beginning of the next book with unnecessary travel or having a huge jarring leap from one scene to the next. It’s a bridge book

Along the way it helps fill in a few of the gaps – checking on Puck where he rested in his tree, a little revisit with Grimalkin just to add to his omnipresent mystery. And it added a little depth and texture to Ash and Meghan’s relationship. Since that relationship was pretty fastforwarded in the last book, I appreciate some attempt to flesh it out into something more meaningful, even if it is awfully fast.

It also reiterates a theme that will be important in the next book – how emotion is a weakness in the Unseelie court, how Mab and Ash’s brothers are Not Nice People and how Ash doesn’t look forward to coming home and they need to carefully hide their relationship or, better yet, call the whole thing off and recognise it as doomed to failure.

This message is important for the next book when Meghan IGNORES IT ENTIRELY!

We also get heavily reminded that Ash is the supreme Prince of emo moping, Lord of pouting, Grand Duke of the Sulk and Knight of the Order of Passive Aggressive Silent Treatment. It’s not endearing. Which also adds layers of insecurity and “waaaah he doesn’t really love me” to Meghan. It’s important to get these fixes now so you are not completely smacked with it in the next book

Romance does not bring out the best of either of these characters.

A far better element is more examination of the Nevernever, a truly great examination of Tir Na Nog, the Unseelie realm and some of the uber creepy denizens of the land. Throw in Wolf, which is just truly epic and an awesome concept and this book is redeemed from the romantic trainwreck rumbling away between the main characters. Just the extra flare and sparkle it adds to Tir Na Nog makes it a worthy read.

It’s quick easy read, with some decent excitement and a fun development of the world – a shame that there’s a headache worthy romance ruining it. It’s a good novella and serves a decent purpose and doesn’t feel stuffed in – it works, but if you missed it you wouldn’t be missing too much.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
In the shadows of the cave, I watched the Hunter approach. Silhouetted black against the snow, it stalked closer, eyes a yellow flame in the shadows, breath coiling around it liek wraiths. Ice-blue light glinted off wet teeth and a thick shaggy pelt, darker than midnight. Ashe stood between the Hunter and me, sword unsheathed, his yees never leaving the massive creature that had tracked us for days, and now, had finally caught up.

Meghan Chase used to be an ordinary girl until she discovered that she was really a faery princess. After escaping from the clutches of the deadly Iron fey, Meghan must follow through on her promise to return to the equally dangerous Winter Court with her forbidden love, Prince Ash. But first, Meghan has one request: that they visit Puck--Meghan's best friend and servant of her father, King Oberon--who was gravely injured defending Meghan from the Iron Fey.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible