2666: A Novel by Roberto Bolaño

2666: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2009)

by Roberto Bolaño, Natasha Wimmer (Translator)

3,9991251,279 (4.16)8 / 620
Title:2666: A Novel
Authors:Roberto Bolaño
Other authors:Natasha Wimmer (Translator)
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 912 pages
Tags:South American, To be read

2666 by Roberto Bolaño (2004)

English (111)  German (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Japanese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (125)
2666 by Roberto Bolaño, translated by Natasha Wimmer
Audio by narrated by John Lee, Armando Durán, G. Valmont Thomas, Scott Brick, Grover Gardner
3 stars

A book made up of 5 parts with the common thread of the murder of women in Santa Teresa. I listened to the audio which was well done but over all, I was not overly fond of the book. There was a considerable amount of sex and liberal use of swearing. I thought the novel over all was not favorable toward women. It features multiple story lines. The book is the authors last book and he dies before it is completed with it being published posthumously. The death of females in Ciudad Juarez is what the book is based on and the theme is violence and death. The whole of the book never mentions the title and it is unclear why and what the title means or references.
Five parts:
The Part about the Critics. Three and then four literary critics; French, Italian, Spaniard and English academics search for the German author Archimboldi. I take it that this author really isn't that good but the academics make him important and the fact that no one really can find him make him more important than he is.
The Part about Amalfitano. This section is about a man and his daughter Rosa. Amalfitano is a Chilean philosophy instructor at the university in Santa Teresa. The homicides continue and in this section the reader wonders if Rosa will become a victim.
The Part about Fate: Oscar Fate, an American journalist, goes to Santa Teresa to report on a boxing match. Oscar is a journalist for a black paper and not a sports writer. This section brings together some pieces. Fate wants to report on the murders but his paper tells him no. He meets Rosa (Amalfitano's daughter) and her father asks him to take her to the states. They go to prison and interview a suspect in the murders, Klaus Haas.
The Part about the Crimes this really is very repetitious with one murder after another. I really did not like this section.
The Part about Archimboldi we learn the identity of the Archimboldi and this section really brings us up to date with many of the aging characters. We are back in WWII and the war experience of the man who was to become the author Archimboldi. We also are updated on what has become of his sister and also learn more of Klaus Haas.

This book won several awards. Altazor Award in 2005, The New York Times Book Review included it in the list of "10 Best Books of 2008, Time named it best fiction of 2008, 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction. Wimmer's translation was nominated for the Best Translated Book Award. I listened to the audio and each section was read by different reader. Narrated By John Lee, Armando Durán, G. Valmont Thomas, Scott Brick, Grover Gardner
Length: 39 hrs and 19 mins ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 2, 2015 |
This is one of those books that sticks with you long after you've finished it. The entire book is a mystery, even the title, 2666, is never mentioned or explained. Made of 5 parts, it centres around the serial killing of over 400 women in Juarez Mexico but even those are never fully explained. There are stories within stories within stories. It's best not to try to search for a logical beginning or end but to enjoy it as it goes along. A masterpiece. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
``An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom.'' -- Baudelaire

If there was ever a book impossible to write a review about, it must be Bolaño's 2666. Having just finished the book, I have the urge rating it with five stars. The last 100 pages were really amazing.

However, I also remember the utter boredom I felt while ploughing through the Part about the Crimes. I sometimes had to drag myself towards the next page, often wondering why I was wasting my time on seemingly random sentences about random people doing essentially nothing. I was travelling at the time; if I would have had another book with me, I'm not sure I would have continued with 2666...

If you're really into literature, and looking for a masterpiece of language and epicness, but don't mind the lack of a compelling story in a book, then 2666 is definitely something for you. Don't expect a conventional novel however. This is a beautiful piece of art not to be toyed with.

I guess you'll rate it with either 1 or 5 stars. I'm sticking with 4, because of the middle part which I *hated*, even though I feel like I want to reread the whole book... ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
started reading this back in 2009 and put it aside after i got bogged down in "the part about the crimes" . I made it to page 428 but will likely have to start over even though i actually remember quite a bit of it
  prairiegrl | Mar 17, 2015 |
I didn't get very far with this work. Too meandering for my taste, and also meanders into arenas I'm just not interested in. So although I didn't like it, it wasn't for lack of writing skill or storytelling...just not my kind of book. So 3 stars because I feel like the fault is not in the book, and 2 stars would be too harsh. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
”2066” är en av dessa sällsynta romaner man skulle kunna bosätta sig i.
Nu bör alla som inte redan skaffat och läst den ha slängt på sig halsduken i farten, störtat ut i hösten och vara i fullt fläng på väg mot närmaste bokhandel.

(Note: this is not the same review as the other one by the same reviewer. It concerns a different translation.)
added by Jannes | editDagens Nyheter, Jonas Thente (Oct 19, 2010)
Lever han upp till sina ambitioner? Tveklöst. ”2066” är en av dessa sällsynta romaner man skulle kunna bosätta sig i.
"2666" ist ein kühnes, wildes, hochexperimentelles Ungetüm von einem Roman. In der vorliegenden Form keineswegs perfekt - besonders der zweite, dritte und fünfte Teil haben große Längen -, ist er doch immer noch so ziemlich allem überlegen, was in den letzten Jahren veröffentlicht wurde.
added by lophuels | editFrankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Daniel Kehlmann (Oct 14, 2010)
Theorie her oder hin, "2666" ist ein ungeheuerlicher Wal von einem Roman, er bläst seine Fontänen hoch in den Äther.

Roberto Bolañoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hansen, ChristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wimmer, NatashaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom. -Charles Baudelaire
For Alexandra Bolaño and Lautaro Bolaño
The first time that Jean-Claude Pelletier read Benno von Archimboldi was Christmas 1980, in Paris, when he was nineteen years old and studying German literature.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312429215, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, November 2008: It was one thing to read Roberto Bolaño's novel The Savage Detectives last year and have your mind thrilled and expanded by a sexy, meandering masterpiece born whole into the English language. It was still another to read it and know, from the advance reports of Spanish readers, that Bolaño's true masterpiece was still to come. And here it is: 2666, the 898-page novel he sprinted to finish before his early death in 2003, again showing Bolaño's mesmerizing ability to spin out tale after tale that balance on the edge between happy-go-lucky hilarity and creeping dread. But where the motion of The Savage Detectives is outward, expanding in wider and wider orbit to collect everything about our lonely world, 2666, while every bit as omnivorous, ratchets relentlessly toward a dark center: the hundreds of mostly unsolved murders of women in the desert borderlands of maquiladoras and la migra in northern Mexico. He takes his time getting there--he tells three often charming book-length tales before arriving at the murders--but when he does, in a brutal and quietly strange landscape where neither David Lynch nor Cormac McCarthy's Anton Chigurh would feel out of place, he writes with a horror that is both haunting and deeply humane. --Tom Nissley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

An American sportswriter, an elusive German novelist, and a teenage student interact in an urban community on the U.S.-Mexico border where hundreds of young factory workers have disappeared.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

2666 by Roberto Bolaño was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible