2666: A Novel by Roberto Bolaño

2666: A Novel (original 2004; edition 2009)

by Roberto Bolaño, Natasha Wimmer (Translator)

4,3841371,121 (4.13)8 / 644
Member:lkernagh
Title:2666: A Novel
Authors:Roberto Bolaño
Other authors:Natasha Wimmer (Translator)
Info:Picador (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 912 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Spanish Literature, Mexico, Crimes, Authors, WWII, Read in 2012, 12 in 12 Challenge

2666 by Roberto Bolaño (2004)

Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (BGP)
    Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar (Damienmp)
    Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec (GeorgeWelzel)
    House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (SilentInAWay)
    Doctor Pasavento by Enrique Vila-Matas (GeorgeWelzel)
    Desert Blood: The Juarez Murders by Alicia Gaspar de Alba (EnriqueFreeque)
    The Daughters of Juarez: A True Story of Serial Murder South of the Border by Teresa Rodriguez (EnriqueFreeque)
    Parallel Stories by Péter Nádas (southernbooklady)
    southernbooklady: Despite the differences in the authors' origins, settings, and writing styles, there is something in each that reminds me of the other. Scale, breadth, maybe. Sharp and wise characterizations, sure. But more the sort of conflicted feelings of compassion, horror, and futility that each writer rouses in the reader.… (more)
    The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro (Dystopos)
    Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes (SilentInAWay)
    A Werewolf Problem in Central Russia and Other Stories by Viktor Pelevin (Torikton)
    Vilnius Poker by Ricardas Gavelis (Sarasamsara)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (knomad)
    knomad: equally at home with meandering through the complex imperatives of love and hate
    The House of Paper by Carlos María Domínguez (Kordo)

English (121)  German (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  All (2)  Spanish (2)  Japanese (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  All (138)
ספר מדהים. אינסופי, מתקדם בערבסקות חסרות כיוון לכאורה, פשוט לגמרי ולא מובן, לא מסתיים וזה ממש לא חשוב. העניק לי חודשים של נהיגה מהנה במכונית. ( )
  amoskovacs | Mar 23, 2017 |
I never made it through this one, in spite of all the hype, I didn't find many redeeming values in Bolano's books ( )
  Lapsus16 | Dec 4, 2016 |
I think my rating will improve with time; this is one I will read again ( )
  rlsalvati | Oct 8, 2016 |
Dear Lord, spare me. Another title from Latin/South America and yet another novel that I could have done without. What the heck is it with that continent that I just can’t abide?

The title either refers to the number of pages you have to wade through to finish this tome or the number of times you have second thoughts about picking this up in the first place. Thankfully, Audible read this to me on my daily commute. If I’d had to actually pick up and get through a physical copy, I don’t think I would have made it. The book is in five lengthy parts which are apparently related although some of the connections are tenuous at best.

Each part starts out reasonably enough but Bolaño is so verbose and the story so rambling that unless you let yourself go with the flow, you’ll be wondering what the heck is going on. Don’t fight it. There’s enough here to keep a reader entertained, but you never get the feeling that you’re in the presence of a literary genius.

The most memorable and controversial part is the one that details the murder of each and every one of 112 women. Almost all of these involve the woman being sexually abused in some way. It’s 200 pages of sheer joy. Now, a writer who wants to give us an idea of how morally debauched society and needs 112 victims to slay in the process seems, to me, to be struggling to get his point across. A skilled writer could do this much more efficiently.

The various supposedly random characters that began the novel are kind of tied together in various relationships to each other by the time you stagger to the end of the fifth section of the novel. By then though, any normal reader simply doesn’t care. It’s only those who have set out from the start with the opinion that this is great writing who think that this is somehow genius. It’s not though. It truly isn’t.

Of course, when I look online, I see tons of praise for 2666. My normal reaction when the world loves a book and I don’t is to conceded that I simply don’t know enough about literature to recognise greatness when it stares me in the face. Even so, with this novel, I have my suspicions that there is a bandwagon here and a lot of people on it.

There is so much truly great literature out there that I honestly don’t think anyone should bother with this book. For those of you pursuing the 1001 Books list, you might as well put this somewhere in the high 900s in the reading order because you could die quite peacefully having never opened its cover. ( )
1 vote arukiyomi | Aug 26, 2016 |
Sometimes you sign on for a scholarly adventure in search of a recluse author and end up drowning in a sea of rape and war crimes. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
”2066” är en av dessa sällsynta romaner man skulle kunna bosätta sig i.

Nu bör alla som inte redan skaffat och läst den ha slängt på sig halsduken i farten, störtat ut i hösten och vara i fullt fläng på väg mot närmaste bokhandel.

(Note: this is not the same review as the other one by the same reviewer. It concerns a different translation.)
added by Jannes | editDagens Nyheter, Jonas Thente (Oct 19, 2010)

Lever han upp till sina ambitioner? Tveklöst. ”2066” är en av dessa sällsynta romaner man skulle kunna bosätta sig i.

"2666" ist ein kühnes, wildes, hochexperimentelles Ungetüm von einem Roman. In der vorliegenden Form keineswegs perfekt - besonders der zweite, dritte und fünfte Teil haben große Längen -, ist er doch immer noch so ziemlich allem überlegen, was in den letzten Jahren veröffentlicht wurde.
added by lophuels | editFrankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Daniel Kehlmann (Oct 14, 2010)

Theorie her oder hin, "2666" ist ein ungeheuerlicher Wal von einem Roman, er bläst seine Fontänen hoch in den Äther.

Roberto Bolañoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amutio, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carmignani, IlideTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hansen, ChristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wimmer, NatashaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom. -Charles Baudelaire
For Alexandra Bolaño and Lautaro Bolaño
The first time that Jean-Claude Pelletier read Benno von Archimboldi was Christmas 1980, in Paris, when he was nineteen years old and studying German literature.
Volume 1 of the Italian edition of 2666 in two parts: La parte de los críticos; La parte de Amalfitano; La parte de Fate

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312429215, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, November 2008: It was one thing to read Roberto Bolaño's novel The Savage Detectives last year and have your mind thrilled and expanded by a sexy, meandering masterpiece born whole into the English language. It was still another to read it and know, from the advance reports of Spanish readers, that Bolaño's true masterpiece was still to come. And here it is: 2666, the 898-page novel he sprinted to finish before his early death in 2003, again showing Bolaño's mesmerizing ability to spin out tale after tale that balance on the edge between happy-go-lucky hilarity and creeping dread. But where the motion of The Savage Detectives is outward, expanding in wider and wider orbit to collect everything about our lonely world, 2666, while every bit as omnivorous, ratchets relentlessly toward a dark center: the hundreds of mostly unsolved murders of women in the desert borderlands of maquiladoras and la migra in northern Mexico. He takes his time getting there--he tells three often charming book-length tales before arriving at the murders--but when he does, in a brutal and quietly strange landscape where neither David Lynch nor Cormac McCarthy's Anton Chigurh would feel out of place, he writes with a horror that is both haunting and deeply humane. --Tom Nissley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

An American sportswriter, an elusive German novelist, and a teenage student interact in an urban community on the U.S.-Mexico border where hundreds of young factory workers have disappeared.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

2666 by Roberto Bolaño was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,225,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible