The stuff of legend. Book 1, The dark by…

The stuff of legend. Book 1, The dark (edition 2010)

by Mike Raicht, Brian Smith, Charles Paul Wilson

Member:TheHeathers
Title:The stuff of legend. Book 1, The dark
Authors:Mike Raicht
Other authors:Brian Smith, Charles Paul Wilson
Info:New York : Villard Books, 2010.
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:teen, graphic novel, fantasy, Deanna Pina, 2013

The Stuff of Legend, Book 1: The Dark by Mike Raicht

2011 (2) abduction (4) army (3) bears (3) betrayal (3) bogeyman (7) children's (2) clowns (1) comic (2) comic series (1) comics (8) ducks (3) fantasy (14) fiction (8) games (4) goodreads (2) graphic (2) graphic novel (36) hewayzha (2) jesters (2) Judith (2) pigs (2) read (3) stuffed animals (2) supernatural (3) to-read (12) toys (8) wishlist (4) WWII (2) YA (3)

Review from library copy

Meh. Not sure how this got on the list of Best GNs for 2010 at NJLA. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
The Velveteen Rabbit goes to war. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is an incredibly dark story and shouldn't be mistaken as kid stuff! This features death, injury, and betrayal! My favorite character so far is the Jester. ( )
  TheHeathers | Feb 27, 2013 |
I think I just don't like graphic novels. They're just not long enough for me to care about any of the characters! Kid gets kidnapped in the first couple of pages? What do I care? I don't even know his name. Pretty nice art, though. ( )
  4sarad | May 29, 2012 |
The "boy" lives in Brooklyn in 1944 with his family and shares a room with a younger brother (and sometimes a pup named Scout.) Until the evening that he's kidnapped by the Boogeyman and his toys come to life to defend him. The toys, a solider, a ballerina, an Indian, a piggy bank, a duck, jack-in-the-box, a stuffed bear, and Scout--band together and venture into the realm of the Dark to rescue him. There they find a battle on their hands, as the Boogeyman has swayed other toys to join him in a land where they will never be discarded. Can the toys save the boy or will darkness befall all of the land?

I can't quite put my finger on it but something about this story seems...familiar. Perhaps its the fact that toys are coming to life or that they go into a closet and end up in a completely different world ruled by some evil figure. Nah...even though there are some familiar elements to this tale, it's never been told like this. The writing is solid (although they do get a bit over the top with some of the toys not liking Scout too much) and it's a great adventure story for those ages 10 and up (although you may want to read through it first before giving it to your child because it is a bit dark.) The story flows well and doesn't show us every moment of what the toys have gone through, but hits the high points. I do wish we could have seen more of the Colonel before he met his untimely demise, but its a fantastic story that leaves you wanting more. The sepia toned artwork has a nice feel to it, really setting the stage for the story and making us feel like we're reading about an adventure in the past in the days of old. It also adds well to the general darkness of the story, setting the mood, and letting the reader know just how dark things maybe in this world. This volume also includes a story about the Colonel's journal, along with some character sketches.

I look forward to seeing what the next volume brings and I hope that the story continues to improve. ( )
  zzshupinga | Sep 18, 2011 |
Gr 5 Up-Most children can remember losing a favorite toy, but what happens when a group of favorite toys lose their boy? The Colonel and his hastily assembled team of rescuers enter "the Dark"-the mysterious world inside a closet, embarking on a mission to save the child. Once inside, they are up against the nearly unstoppable Boogeyman, a creature made from nightmares who has his own designs on the boy. After a trip to the city of Hopscotch, where life is nothing but a game, the toys are branded "rule breakers" and forced into a game they may not be able to win. This eerie graphic novel, set in a quiet Brooklyn home in 1944, uses muted sepia tones and realistic artwork to present the unimaginable world the protagonists are thrust into. From the insane Jester's murderous glee to Max the Bear's raging ferocity, readers can see every emotion on the characters' faces. It almost feels like a children's story gone horribly wrong in the most wonderful way. The images of battles and violence are definitely not for the timid.

The year is 1944. As Allied forces fight the enemy on Europe’s war-torn beaches, another battle begins in a child’s bedroom in Brooklyn. When the nightmarish Boogeyman snatches a boy and takes him to the realm of the Dark, the child’s playthings, led by the toy soldier known as the Colonel, band together to stage a daring rescue. On their perilous mission they will confront the boy’s bitter and forgotten toys, as well as betrayal in their own ranks. Can they save the boy from the forces of evil, or will they all perish in the process? The Stuff of Legend is a haunting and ultimately redemptive tale of loyalty, camaraderie, and perseverance.

This edition includes a brand-new story featuring the Colonel’s war journal, maps, sketches, and other original material!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:50 -0400)

The year is 1944. As Allied forces fight the enemy on Europe's war torn beaches, another battle begins in a child's bedroom in Brooklyn. When the nightmarish Boogeyman snatches a boy and takes him to the realm of the dark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible