A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

A Memory of Light

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Series: Wheel of Time (14)

Today I one-more-chaptered my way through 400 pages and 2 hours past my bedtime. My face is sliding off, and it was completely worth it. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 9, 2019 |
This series was a long road, there's never going to be anything like it for me ever again. There are other epic fantasies out there and there is one, still on-going, that I began around the same time I started this one - but, I'll admit it, 'A Song of Ice and Fire' can't match this. The Evil Empire is developing a fauxevision series of the show as I write this. It will be interesting to see them attempt it, but it won't be pretty. Gray Men can't make, duh.

This was my first time reading the entire series over again. The early novels I've read 6, 7, 8 times at least, but around the time I hit 'Winter's Heart' I wasn't feeling the love as strongly anymore. This reread, prompted by the 'Great American Read' (was it supposed to make me read something I hadn't before?), has made me fall in love all over again. Even with the typos that riddle these trade paperback editions. I've come to terms with the errors, the books still look pretty anyway, even if they aren't on the inside.

I also have to give huge amounts of credit to Leigh Butler, whose 'Wheel of Time Reread' on Tor.com made an excellent companion during my reading, helping me clear up long-standing questions and allowing me to see connections I never would have made on my own.

In my first review of the book I praised Sanderson, and my only real criticism was my feeling underwhelmed by the conclusion and having been bored during a lot of the endless battle scenes. Some of that still holds true, but reading the whole series so close together this past year makes me appreciate even more how cohesive the series was and, frankly, amazed that more threads weren't dropped. The ambition of this series still staggers me.

These books still made me laugh, shiver with anticipation, and gasp in surprise - Sanderson wasn't great on laughs, but he nailed other important aspects and nixed arms crossed over breasts, so - it is so nice to be able to say that this series has aged well. I'm going to read it again. There's a lot that could be said about the sequel series in Seanchan Jordan talked about writing, or the other prequel novels, but this is what we have and its enough.

Oh, and I've been reading the official companion now that I've read the whole series over. I have some thoughts.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'The Wheel of Time Companion'

Previous: 'Towers of Midnight' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 23, 2019 |
I wasn't exactly onto chapter books yet when 'The Eye of the World' was published, but before the decade was out I was able to sound my way through a chapter or two. It's comforting to see a grandiose fantasy series come to an end - even without the original author. I only had a 12 or 13 year wait, but I agree with the mixed feelings of the long-term fans. Tarmon Gai'don, as huge as it was, couldn't help but be underwhelming.

I had thought that 'A Memory of Light' would be a more cohesive book because of the strict focus on the Last Battle, but the endless progression of fighting along the different fronts became boring after the first few hundred pages.

Sanderson deserves a lot of credit, even with the notes Jordan left behind, it took a lot of effort to gather up all the threads into such a neat and tidy bundle. I didn't even attempt to refresh myself on the books this time so there might be some loose ends Sanderson missed, but they really can't have been that important. My only real problem was the (by necessity no doubt, these books were long enough) handling of the fates of some (formerly) prominent characters.

But it's over. There isn't any more. I've loved dreaming and examining this world (which is called what again?) and endless battle scenes considered, I'm content. My expectations weren't exceeded, but I wasn't shortchanged either. The ending does justice to the story.

Wheel of Time

Previous: 'The Towers of Midnight' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
(Wheel of Time, Book 14)
  VZermeno | Jan 29, 2019 |
I FINISHED IT.
Y'all, I finished it. This series had been so important to me for so long, and I've finished reading it, and now I don't know what to do with myself. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet, the light of Mr. Jordan's life, and for Emily, the light of mine.
Bayrd pressed the coin between his thumb and forefinger. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The conclusion to the Wheel of Time series draws on notes left by the late Robert Jordan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,167,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible