A Memory of Light (The Wheel of Time, Book…

A Memory of Light (The Wheel of Time, Book 14) (edition 2013)

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Member:kingofpain89
Title:A Memory of Light (The Wheel of Time, Book 14)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Other authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Books (2013), Hardcover, 864 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

Glad I read it to the end. The battle was almost the entire book. Very interesting ending. Wish that Egwene had not had to die. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
More than once, I wanted to give up on this series. I got fed up with the gender wars, the politics, the lack of communication, and the endless descriptions of clothes and facial expressions. I'm sure I turned more people away from the series with my complaints than I converted with my praise. But I stuck with the series for one reason: I knew that the Last Battle was going to be epic, and I didn't want to miss it. I also harbored the hope that I would finish the series in awe, all my frustrations forgotten.

I am happy to say that I got what I wanted. And the wait was worth it.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was the final book; there wouldn't be any Wheel of Time after this. This would be the last time I would read a Wheel of Time book for the first time. Even so, it took a lot of effort to finish this book in a week I could move on with my life.

Where do I begin? I'll start with the battles. (Here come the spoilers.) Battle scenes don't always interest me, so I worried that this book would be a bore. It wasn't. I was amazed at Sanderson's ability to make all 900+ pages interesting, even though most of it was war. I can't think of any scene I thought, "Seriously? You're wasting time on THIS?" I thought everything flowed beautifully. And it was AWESOME watching Mat command the Last Battle. Just BLOODY AWESOME. I would have liked to see Rand and Perrin fighting in the actual battle, but I guess they had more important stuff to do. It was also interesting that Elayne had such a big part in the fighting; I don't think I've ever read about a pregnant woman commanding troops.

There were a LOT of reunions I was hoping to see in this book, and most of them didn't disappoint. Rand and Mat's little "oh yeah?" argument was highly entertaining. I was so excited to see the Hunters of the Horn again. And I am still thrilled that Lan and Nynaeve got a reunion; of all the characters, I wanted Lan to live the most. I think the only reunion I wanted to see but didn't get was Mat and his father's. Mat just won't sit still long enough. And I wanted to see Moiraine and Suian together, but I didn't really expect that to happen.

I knew death was coming to some of the characters I've cared about for so long, but it still hurt to see them go. Of all the deaths, I think Egwene's and Gawyn's were the hardest. Those two drove me nuts at times—especially Gawyn—but Gawyn's last words being his regret that he was never good enough, and Egwene's sacrificial death were just heartbreaking. Every time Rand saw one of his beloved fall, I hurt with him. Oddly, though, I am grateful that Robert Jordan made me care enough about these characters so that when they died, I wept a little inside. I was even sad to see the indestructible Bella go.

As for things that bugged me, I can only think of one thing: I spent most of the book wondering where Morgase and Tallavanor ended up, until FINALLY Morgase was mentioned in passing. I'm still a little annoyed that Juilin got a scene and those two didn't. That's a very MINOR complaint, though.

And the ending. It was good. I wish we could have seen more: how Rand, Elayne, Min, and Aviendha worked their relationship out; Perrin and Faile's reign as king and queen of Saldea; Lan and Nynaeve's reign as king and queen of the fallen Malkier; how Mat dealt with being a Seanchan nobleman; Tam's return to the Two Rivers; whether those closest to Rand would ever find out that Rand still lived on; how many of the methods the White Tower changed because of Egwene and how her name was spoken with reverence in the classroom (I half expected her to show up as a Hunter of the Horn); how Galad and Berelain's relationship worked out; the Tinkers finding their song. So many things I would have loved to see. But, as Robert Jordan reminds us, this wasn't the ending, but an ending. Sometimes, it's best to leave questions unanswered so the characters can go on living in the minds of the thousands who have followed them for so long—in this case, over two decades. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
The final installment of the Wheel of Time series. I should not have been surprised that the bulk of this novel revolved around “the last battle” since the series has been leading up to this for ages (and ages, and ages). I got a bit weary of all the fighting, but I don’t think it could have been much shorter given all the storylines needing to be resolved. None of the main characters got short shrift at the end, and I am very satisfied with how it all turned out.

I originally started reading the series about 15 years ago and read through about book eight. Once the series was completed I decided to give it another try. Eight months ago I started listening to book one on audio during my commute to and from work. I’ve listened consistently to the entire series since that time with only a few short breaks. It got a bit slow going for a few books in the middle (6-10), but I really enjoyed my travels with Rand, Matt, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve and all the rest. I’ll miss them. ( )
  Bluebird1 | Jan 16, 2016 |
A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
5 Stars Heart

Finally. The conclusion of a series that took 20 years to and the author's death before we could read the final words that Robert Jordan had always maintained he wrote before any other part of this this epic fantasy series. At last, The Last Battle is here. Rand, Egwene, Perrin, and Mat, along with all of those who been influenced by them since being spirited out of Edmond's Field by Moiraine, must make a stand against the forces of dark. This is the moment they have been moving towards, one final showdown against The Dark One and the Shadow. On final battle that has been foretold, and one final act of desperation that we know is to end with the death of The Dragon Reborn. And this time, at least for the reader, it is not just an ending it is the end.

It took me a very long time to read this book. In part it is because this book has been a backbone to my adult life. I started reading it in college, introduced to it by my then boyfriend. I became active in the online world surrounding this series, and it was as a result of that involvement that I met several of my closes friends, and also the man who would eventually become my husband. I don't think that I was ready to close the book on that chapter of my life. However, it's not as if finishing the book was going to change all of that. My friends are still here and so is my husband. The other reasoning may have had to do with the length of this book, not normally a problem, but almost every single page was consumed with war and battle. 909 pages of battle. It wears on you after a time. I can't argue with how it was written, or if it was necessary. Of course it was. This is after all, The Last Battle. And it was magnificently done. Brandon Sanderson, has really done the series justice, when he took up Jordan's pen. There were surprises, sadness, victory, death, and survival. There was one section of the book towards the end that I cried for nearly 50 pages. It was hard to see characters that you've grown to love die, often in a violent and bloody manner. Others just barely survived, and for that I was grateful. I was afraid that all of them would be sacrificed for the sake of the story.

In all, while it could get bogged down in the details of battle and war and tactics, this was a fitting conclusion to the series. All the ends were tied up, and it left you with hope for the future. I really appreciate that it really is the end. Often times with series that I love, at the conclusion I am still left wanting more, to see what happens next. This time, I am not. This final book is what we've been promised for so long, and while not perfect, it is exactly what was needed. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
The end of the series brings together several story lines and has a satisfying ending. Probably because it's the end, there are far fewer random characters or sequences. This is not my favorite book of the series, but I still really like the characters and some of the story arcs are really engaging. My favorite story arc is that of the Black Tower.

Although this is partially written by another author, the novel still keeps the tone and style of the other books in the series. ( )
  kparr | Dec 31, 2015 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet, the light of Mr. Jordan's life, and for Emily, the light of mine.
Bayrd pressed the coin between his thumb and forefinger.

Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The conclusion to the Wheel of Time series draws on notes left by the late Robert Jordan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible