A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time 14) by…

A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time 14) (edition 2013)

by Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Member:Karlstar
Title:A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time 14)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Other authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Books (2013), Hardcover, 912 pages
Tags:Fantasy, WoT

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan

Wow, I actually made it through. All I have to say really, except that these books seem much more enjoyable as audio books. Not sure I would want to wear my eyes out on all this. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
I can't believe it's the end of the series!! It ended well, though, which is not always the case. The ending was as it should be. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
This must have been an extremely difficult book to write, and for that I give Brandon Sanderson an extra star, where I think I'd have only given three otherwise.

Mat was the best character of the series and he didn't fail to deliver here. Granted, I hated his character early in the series, but as soon as he goes through the doorway, he's elevated to extremely awesome. His humor saved a lot of the book for me.

This whole series needed Androl's and Pevara's bond. It was finally a time we could see that Aes Sedai were human, and that not everybody hated the opposite gender.

I still have too many questions left unanswered after reading this book. I am disappointed by the end of the series, and especially by Rand's battle against the Dark One. I don't think anyone could have done a better job of writing it, but talk about too much in-book hype. Nothing could have lived up to that.

I'm glad this journey is over. On to the next Brandon Sanderson books. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
This was a great conclusion to the journey, yes there are some issues but considering the circumstances they are excusable.

I won't go into the story except to say all the loose ends are tied off and you find out what happens to all the characters you have met on this epic journey. ( )
  ExpatTX | Mar 31, 2014 |
A Memory of Light brings an ending in The Wheel of Time for the Dragon Reborn, Rand al'Thor, and his adversary The Dark One, along with their collective allies and forces. Throughout the 1148 pages, good and evil vie for an advantage in the lead up to and during ultimate confrontation between all involved whether during The Last Battle or the inside the Pit of Doom itself. But one of the most striking things about the book is that there are two narrative structures in play, the first with the book itself and the other of the entire series.

The conflict between both sides in A Memory of Light literally takes place on the battlefield, which spans over a third of the continent at one point before settling in two locations. In previous books, battles have occurred and were well written, however they pail in comparison with what occurs in A Memory of Light. The apocalyptic Last Battle that has been mentioned since The Eye of the World occurs at the Field of Merrilor, between the forces of Light and Shadow, and within the Pit of Doom, between Rand and the Dark One itself. The majority of it takes place within chapter 37, aptly entitled The Last Battle, take up an eye raising 248 pages and chronicling over 24 hours worth of battle action and strategy. It is truly a worthy battle between good and evil given all the build up.

In the end A Memory of the Light and The Wheel of Time comes down to Rand's confrontation with the Dark One, which is more a mental than physical battle. Foreshadowed events early in the book once again play a role in the climax to help Rand in his destiny, but as the book's climax is one and the same with the series it turns out that its events in the Two Rivers in The Eye of the World do foreshadow the resolution in the Pit of Doom. If this series is about cycles and patterns, then Jordan succeeded in giving one to his entire series.

A Memory of Light is an apt title for the final Wheel of Time book, as from the beginning of the series things have been getting continually darker. The book ends with a lot of the characters just dangling as their stories and lives aren't at an end, however their connections to the appearance, rise, and destiny of the Dragon Reborn is just like the story. Not only as a book, but as the final installment of a series as long as The Wheel of Time, A Memory of Light is excellent and leaves one satisfied once they close the cover for the last time. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jan 21, 2014 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sanderson, Brandonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Harriet, the light of Mr. Jordan's life, and for Emily, the light of mine.
Bayrd pressed the coin between his thumb and forefinger.

Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.

When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. With The Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.

Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

What was, what will be, and what is,

may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

The conclusion to the Wheel of Time series draws on notes left by the late Robert Jordan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible