dismiss

River marked by Patricia Briggs

River marked (edition 2011)

by Patricia Briggs

Car mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has never known any others of her kind. Until now. As Mercy comes to terms with this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River--and if Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, are to have any hope of surviving, they will need all the resources the shifters can offer.… (more)
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:River marked
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2011.

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byprivate library, LaNegra574, Avonelle, Arina40, AgentSong394, Tzza, BookHavenAZ, FidsLady, jsemenza

English (124)  Piratical (1)  All languages (125)
After a surprise wedding, Adam and Mercy are off in a luxury camper to a campground on the Columbia for some quiet time together. But people are disappearing in the area and it seems an ancient evil has been resurrected.

Mercy gets a chance to meet Coyote who is sort of her father when he comes to help her try to get rid of the new monster. And Mercy learns that the fae have an interest in checking up on some European river fae who have disappeared from their reservation in the campground and might be involved in the disappearances.

This episode has a lot of Native American myth and legend as Mercy learns more about her heritage and the supernatural beings from it who still have influence in the world. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 13, 2020 |
At the start of "River Marked", I found myself smiling. I was glad to be back in Mercy's company and pleased that she has been granted some happiness. Patricia Briggs writes in a way that makes me feel that I'm going, if not home, then at least back to a favourite place when I open a Mercedes Thompson book. That's a rare gift.

Mercy is getting married. Honest. Any day soon. If she can survive her mother's plan-everything-down-to-the-last-second approach. As the wedding plans devolved into chaos my smile broadened. This felt warm and real.

When the Fae offered a fancy mobile home for Mercy's honeymoon and a free stay at a perfect spot and I grinned harder, knowing that bad things were bound to follow.

The honeymoon takes place on the Columbia River, near Horsethief Lake Park in Washington and the Bad Thing is drawn from Native American traditions and is a lot scarier than the vampires and most of the Fae we've met so far. This monster is hunger incarnate and people are its favourite prey.

I liked the way this story used Mercy's Native American heritage and of course, her Walker/Coyote nature to give her a better understanding of herself without getting all soppy about it and without sentimentalising Native American Myths. There were clever links to the pictographs and the scene in the local standing stones was very well done. I loved the fact that Mercy's magical nature meant she could see things the young shaman-in-training wanted to believe in but had not yet managed to see.

This time, even though Adam is at her side, it is Mercy who must save the day. She gets help from some surprising places, including meeting with Coyote himself. Patricia Briggs manages to balance, magic, myth, murderous violence with humour and compassion in a way I find very pleasing.

The book also moves Mercy on. It gives her happiness and security and demonstrates her strength while still showing her as vulnerable. The letter Mercy wrote to Adam, to be opened if she didn't survive her encounter with the Big Bad, summed her up perfectly. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
ok this is now my favorite of the mercy series. One her and Adam are married *squeals like a highschool girl* Two she got to meet coyote who let's face it, even though Joe Old Coyote is dead, Coyote is still her father in some aspects. Three you kinda get into Mercy's roots. It was so hard to put this book down once I started, that when I passed out I had passed out with the book in my hand. Definitely can't wait until the next book I just love this series. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
I really liked this one! It had a lot of humor and action scenes without too much drama.
The surprise wedding idea reminded me of something that happened in Crete a couple of years ago when I was still a College undergraduate. An assosiate of mine went to a wedding only to find at the last minute that he was to be the groum! He bolted ofcourse and I think he's still running! Those Cretans are crazy!! ( )
  Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
I'm a fan of Mercedes Thompson, but this one didn't engage me like the others. I listened to this one, so I'm not sue if the narration caused my angst, or the story just wasn't up to my liking. But I'll be back, because Patricia Briggs writes a good story! ( )
  BookLove80 | Jul 16, 2019 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, Daniel DosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Derek, Michelle, Jodi, Kari, Elaine, and Megan— it's about itme you got one.

And for Laura and Genevieve— welcome to the family.
Under the glare of streetlights, I could see that the grass of Stefan's front lawn was dried to yellow by the high summer heat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,201,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible