River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) by…

River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs

1,468None5,063 (4.09)62
Member:Kwidhalm
Title:River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

warangel820 | Apr 2, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

As much as I enjoy the MERCY THOMPSON series, the last few books have been rather dark, although I understand that Briggs is staying true to her character, as a reader I’ve been wanting the old Mercy back. In the opening chapters Thompson cracks a joke about that-horrible-thing-that-happened-to-her which I took as a good sign, this is also the quasi-essential “vacation” installment—another clear indication that the heroine is finally ready to move. It’s worth mentioning that this is the first time I’ve listened to one of these novels in audio, and Lorelei King’s narration was also a big factor in lightening up the story line. RIVER MARKED is all around entertaining with great Mercy/Adam moments, a formidable big bad to defeat, and Coyote the trickster god wreaking havoc on all fronts.

Vacations never go as planned in Urban Fantasy, if anything, they usually blow-up spectacularly which is exactly what happens in this book, only instead of explosions its otter kin and a river devil, but we’ll get to that. Luckily there’s a bit of calm before the storm. Mercy and Adam finally seem to have accepted their bond; I liked how lovey-dovey they were to each other in this installment, and I absolutely adored how Briggs gives them a mini-HEA before the Columbia River tries to eat them. There’s also a goodbye letter from Mercy to Adam in case their plan fails and she dies which Briggs cruelly reveals at the very end, and it will make you bawl your freaking eyes out. It’s beautiful and sad, and I want to listen to it again.

RIVER MARKED is the first novel that actually revolves solely around Mercy’s heritage which I loved. We learn more about her Native American roots including info about her deceased father, what she really is, and how Coyote fits into the mix. There’s also some interesting mythology surrounding the river devil; my favourite was the real reason a beaver’s tail is flat. According to the lore, after eating a bunch of people the monster was defeated from the inside, and when the beaver escaped through the creature’s butthole his tail got smushed. Seeing how this rodent is practically Canada’s mascot, I couldn’t help but giggle at this.

I rarely switch back-and-forth between reading and listening to a series because typically I prefer to pick a format and stick with it. So I really didn’t know what to expect from this audio when I jumped-in at book 6, but when I found out that Lorelei King was the narrator, I knew that it just had to be good. Listening to Mercy is very different than reading her, however I enjoyed the bubbly tone that King brings to Thompson’s POV. Her delivery helped draw attention this installment’s lighter tone, and gave me a whole new appreciation of how sarcastic one of my favourite heroines truly is. Although, in my opinion, her narration may have been a little too happy-go-lucky for this protagonist; I’m going to listen to FROST BURNED as well before I pass judgment.

RIVER MARKED is the ray of sunshine that this series needed with borderline epic action scenes, and enough mushy moments to make readers fall even further in love with the Mercy / Adam duo. ( )
  RabidReads | Feb 28, 2014 |
on her honeymoon she must reconnect with her heritage to exorcise the world of the legend known as the river devil... ( )
  Talthor | Dec 31, 2013 |
Mercy remains one of my favorite UF heroines. I love her and Adam together as well (and admit I got a little teary eyed at the wedding). I enjoyed most of this book and liked the introduction of the animal spirits into Mercy's world. However, it felt like something was missing. Maybe the pack interaction? A minor quibble with a totally fun and enjoyable read. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I'm so disappointed. I rated this two stars, and the second one is just for mercy (no pun intended).
The previous books in this series are all four/five-stars-worthy, but this one is a tremendous downfall.

Seems to me that, when she started to write, the author didn't have a clear idea about the development of the plot and decided to make it up as she went.
She picked some threads and then let them go without tying the knots.
In the previous installments, we enjoyed carefully woven stories mixing vampires, fae and werevolves, but in this one the first two ingredients of the mix are almost nonexistent. For example, we meet a troubled vampire friend (Stefan) in the first chapters but he disappears almost immediately and the solution of his issues comes just in the last few pages and is an insubstiantial one. The fae appear here and then, but their contribute to the events is too marginal, considering that the foe is fae (ehm...). The werevolves are represented only by Adam, Mercy's husband, and he acts more like a sidekick that a true co-protagonist.
The tale revolves around some indian folklore that requires a visit to a museum, new friends lacking in the action-department and lots of boring explanations that most of the time don't even make sense. Let's not get into the matter about the indian god that is almost-Mercy's-father-but-not-quite.

I hope that in the next books Patricia will redeem herself, but it's going to be hard work. ( )
  sbinifera | Nov 8, 2013 |
For Derek, Michelle, Jodi, Kari, Elaine, and Megan— it's about itme you got one.

And for Laura and Genevieve— welcome to the family.
Under the glare of streetlights, I could see that the grass of Stefan's front lawn was dried to yellow by the high summer heat.

Car mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has never known any others of her kind. Until now. As Mercy comes to terms with this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River--and if Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, are to have any hope of surviving, they will need all the resources the shifters can offer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible