River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) by…

River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:Kwidhalm
Title:River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

Recently added bycrynski, sheishei, Honey_Bat, private library, LitaVore, Lauren2013, M1c3, jimpike69, mgd014

English (112)  Piratical (1)  English (113)
River Marked
4 Stars

To begin with, River Marked is a departure from the other books in the series and ardent fans may be disappointed as the familiar cast of secondary characters is set aside in favor of a completely different group. While Stefan, Warren, Ben and the rest of the gang are missed, the introduction of new characters and concepts related to Mercy's Native American heritage and her role as a Walker is particularly interesting and adds another layer to her characterization, which has been missing up till now.

The book starts off slowly with Mercy and Adam's rather abrupt wedding, which is cute but also kind of cheesy and saccharine. Nevertheless, the story becomes more exciting once the action starts and the plot revolving around an ancient river monster feeding off humans is intense and compelling.

Mercy and Adam are growing closer as couple and their interactions are a highlight of the book, especially their arguments and Mercy's letter at the end. Unfortunately, Ms. Briggs is still halting their relationship at the bedroom door and aside for one or two hints at intimacy, everything happens off page. If Briggs is uncomfortable with these scenes then why include a romance in the story at all - it does nothing but build up readers' expectations only to leave them unfulfilled.

The focus on Native American folklore is fascinating and the revelations regarding the identity of Mercy's father and the origins of her abilities is very intriguing although Coyote's character is a little too mysterious and enigmatic at times.

Overall, a solid addition to the series but not everyone will be pleased with the new direction. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I really enjoyed learning more of Mercy's background and her heritage. That said, River Marked seemed to be a bit of a slower read than the rest of the series. I'm not sure if it was due to the rest of the pack not being around [or maybe even Jesse, really like that girl], but it didn't make my favorites list. Still, it's Patricia Briggs, so it was a good book - just wasn't as fast-paced it seemed to me. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
I think these books might just be my favorite "Urban Fantasy" Type books. Oh sure one my come around later that I like better, but for now These are on the top of the pile. I like them because they are fast reads, the characters are interesting and do interesting things, and the romance is light but still sweet.

This book is most heavily about Mercy, which sounds weird to say (type?) since these books are always about her adventures. This book in particular however is all about her heritage and what it means to be her. Mercy has always felt a bit like an outsider, a girl without a true family or home. Raised by werewolves yet not totally fitting in, Mercy has always wanted to know about the father that died before she was born.

Although there is a monster to beat in this book I felt it was truly about a journey, Mercy's journey, to find a place to call home. In the end she finds out a lot about her father and about herself, and I think comes away feeling more secure in her place in the world.

I think these books just keep getting better, and I can't wait until the next book!
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
One of my favorite series. This one had some interesting new creatures, including Mercy's father. This series has the good fortune of getting better with each new book. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
I'm not entirely sure why, but this just isn't my favorite of this series. Perhaps I'd just like to believe that poor Mercy could have a peaceful honeymoon? Perhaps I'm missing my favorite supporting characters? I'm not quite sure. I do appreciate the chance for Mercy to learn a bit more about her father, and about other shifters, but I found myself looking forward to everyone being back home and carrying on with their lives. ( )
  duchessjlh | Aug 4, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Derek, Michelle, Jodi, Kari, Elaine, and Megan— it's about itme you got one.

And for Laura and Genevieve— welcome to the family.
Under the glare of streetlights, I could see that the grass of Stefan's front lawn was dried to yellow by the high summer heat.

Car mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has never known any others of her kind. Until now. As Mercy comes to terms with this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River--and if Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, are to have any hope of surviving, they will need all the resources the shifters can offer.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,734,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible