River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) by…

River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:Kwidhalm
Title:River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

English (109)  Piratical (1)  All languages (110)
Really good. I definitely enjoyed the Native American characters and finally learning about Mercy's father and why she is a "walker". After reading the description of some of these places, it made me want to go visit them. Minus river monsters of course. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
This series, being only six books short, has an up and down enjoyment level for me. Unfortunately I found the book before his, Silver Bourne, to be mediocre, and this one I found to be the worst out of all six by far.

Quite frankly, I was bored. Completely dulled out. It didn't even seem like a typical Mercy book. It started with irritating the hell out of me with the ridiculous surprise wedding. I mean, seriously, the quick wedding instead of an elopement, sucks. And I'd personally hate a surprise wedding everyone else planned for me if I was a bride!

Most of the book's timespan is spent with Adam, Mercy, and new characters in a new setting for their honeymoon. Besides the annoyance of a rushed marriage after six books, no steam is there at all and it was almost like an afterthought. Second, being tricked on my honeymoon to do work like they would set up to do would royally piss me off. Seriously, they would need to run for the hills when I was on my way home. It irritated me much more than it irritated Mercy (which is just wrong.)

The villain is cool (actually a nifty monster), it just felt akin to a scooby doo type episode with the investigation. It's cool Briggs wants to delve more into Mercy's past, although really I care little about what they discovered is out there. Adam is always likeable so at least he's around.

I get that Briggs is trying to reveal more about her protagonist and have a surprise revelation, but I was so bored and it didn't start picking up until after page 200!

I will continue the series, but the last two have faltered my excitement. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Loved it. ( )
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
River Marked
4 Stars

To begin with, River Marked is a departure from the other books in the series and ardent fans may be disappointed as the familiar cast of secondary characters is set aside in favor of a completely different group. While Stefan, Warren, Ben and the rest of the gang are missed, the introduction of new characters and concepts related to Mercy's Native American heritage and her role as a Walker is particularly interesting and adds another layer to her characterization, which has been missing up till now.

The book starts off slowly with Mercy and Adam's rather abrupt wedding, which is cute but also kind of cheesy and saccharine. Nevertheless, the story becomes more exciting once the action starts and the plot revolving around an ancient river monster feeding off humans is intense and compelling.

Mercy and Adam are growing closer as couple and their interactions are a highlight of the book, especially their arguments and Mercy's letter at the end. Unfortunately, Ms. Briggs is still halting their relationship at the bedroom door and aside for one or two hints at intimacy, everything happens off page. If Briggs is uncomfortable with these scenes then why include a romance in the story at all - it does nothing but build up readers' expectations only to leave them unfulfilled.

The focus on Native American folklore is fascinating and the revelations regarding the identity of Mercy's father and the origins of her abilities is very intriguing although Coyote's character is a little too mysterious and enigmatic at times.

Overall, a solid addition to the series but not everyone will be pleased with the new direction. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Not nearly as good as the rest of the series but I still enjoyed it. It just seemed that there was a lack of anything happening until the very end. Her books that seem to focus on the fae are my least favorite I believe. Oh, well. I can't wait for the next one. I love Mercy and Adam. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Derek, Michelle, Jodi, Kari, Elaine, and Megan— it's about itme you got one.

And for Laura and Genevieve— welcome to the family.
Under the glare of streetlights, I could see that the grass of Stefan's front lawn was dried to yellow by the high summer heat.

Car mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has never known any others of her kind. Until now. As Mercy comes to terms with this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River--and if Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, are to have any hope of surviving, they will need all the resources the shifters can offer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,527,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible