River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) by…

River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6) (edition 2012)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:Kwidhalm
Title:River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:75 Book Challenge of 2012, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Kindle

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

English (105)  Piratical (1)  All languages (106)
I really, really liked this. It had a different vibe from the other books in the series, probably because Mercy and Adam were away from the pack. It was chock full of emotional scenes, too. The wedding was special and it was sweet to see the couple finally get the time alone they deserved, even if it was just the calm before the inevitable storm. The bit of history we are given about the Maryhill area made me feel like I was right there as the action unfolded. As the next "bad thing" makes itself known, Mercy meets many new characters and as usual, they are all distinctively fascinating, especially Coyote. The Native American elements that came into play was a nice change from fae magic. Love this series! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

If up until this point you were unsure whether Mercy Thompson was a series that was worth continuing, your doubts are completely obliterated and forgotten with River Marked. Easily the best book of the series so far. I could not believe Patricia Briggs was hiding this from us for so long. The skill at which the story is told is amazing and the understanding it gives us into Mercy’s background is everything one could want and more.

River Marked opens with a surprise wedding, followed by Adam and Mercy taking a trip out of town to a campgrounds Adam’s company completed work on. Things are fun and we see Adam and Mercy as we’ve never seen them before, comfortable and at ease with one another. They’re playful and finally at the point in their relationship that they understand one another and trust each other. So, of course something has to come along to rock the boat, so to speak.

When alone in the woods near the campground, Mercy has a vision of an Amerind (American Indian) man performing some sort of ritualistic dance. She recognises the man as her father, but is confused as the vision does not feel like a ghost. It would be great if that were the only thing she had to worry about during her trip there, but after a brief jump to conclusion between Adam and Mercy and a late night coyote/wolf run, they happen upon a boat with a cowering man terrified beyond belief. Mercy jumps in to help him, and is attacked by a mysterious unseen creature. The only fauna she can see in the area is a group of otters suspiciously swimming about the area.

This small act of kindness opens the door to learning about her background, about her father, and about her coyote abilities. This is where the story excels. Patricia Briggs does an amazing job bringing to life Amerind stories* and characters. Mercy’s background reveal was expertly done, as it could have easily pushed on-the-fence readers towards the wayside had it been crafted tactlessly. I am really hesitant to say anymore because it was seriously such a great read, I don’t want to ruin it for readers that have not yet given it a glance.

If you’ve been reading the series thus far, THIS is the book that will make everything you’ve read so far worth it. Just the absolute best Patricia Briggs has to offer and a definite must read.

*I am not an Amerind, and as such I cannot speak with any such authority as to the veracity of the stories only to say that within the context of the series and with the little bit of knowledge I do have regarding certain Amerind spirituality, it seemed well done and believable. ( )
  heylu | Mar 4, 2016 |
Years after first meeting her standoffish neighbor Adam, Mercy and Adam have fallen in love, negotiated with each other about the kind of life they can share, and are at last married. But a borrowed trailer to use on their honeymoon comes with a catch--the fae want Mercy to investigate a band of otterfae that recently escaped from the fae reservation. The plot is pretty straightfoward; what really wowed me about this book was the relationship between Mercy and Adam and the climactic battle near the end. Romances abound in the urban fantasy/paranormal romance genre, but theirs is easily my favorite. Neither is my type, nor is their relationship my favorite kind to be entertained by (that I reserve for witty banter-y types like Beatrice&Benedick), but their love for each other is so solid, and comes across in so many ways large and small, that I was completely charmed. I like that they each feel comfortable and safe with the other. And their love and trust is Mercy's last asset in her final battle: when all else fails, when all her allies are gone and her last obsidian blade has broken, she fights with no weapons and a broken leg rather than let Adam down. That is some hardcore epic shit, and I ate it up with a spoon. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I inhaled the first 100 pages the other night in bed. Very cool reading about local landmarks that I haven't visited. I think we'll have to take a trip up the gorge when gas prices drop a bit. ;-) Fun read. Can't wait to see with we go next with Mercy and Adam. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Liked it, but felt like a longish short story. Hoping for a "fuller" story for the next volume. Missed the usual cast of characters, as Mercy and Adam were out of town. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Derek, Michelle, Jodi, Kari, Elaine, and Megan— it's about itme you got one.

And for Laura and Genevieve— welcome to the family.
Under the glare of streetlights, I could see that the grass of Stefan's front lawn was dried to yellow by the high summer heat.

Car mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has never known any others of her kind. Until now. As Mercy comes to terms with this new information, an evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River--and if Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, are to have any hope of surviving, they will need all the resources the shifters can offer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible