Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher

Shockaholic (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Carrie Fisher

Member:jmheilig
Title:Shockaholic
Authors:Carrie Fisher
Info:Simon & Schuster (2011), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 176 pages

Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher (2011)

The title and cover are a bit misleading. This is a book more about Fisher's relationship with her parents than anything else. It's also pretty short. But it's good fun nonetheless. ( )
  moopet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Not quite what I expected. Does have some interesting antedotes about Elizabeth Taylor and Michale Jackson, along with a lengthy series of chapters on Eddie Fisher and Carrie's reunion with her father.
They reconcile and she manages to come to terms with who he is and forgive him.

Overall, the book much like its predecessor is about the horrible mixed up world of stardom or being a celebrity and how different it is now from how it was 50 years ago. There's less reverence now, and more sneering. Fisher handles it all with good humor and mockery.

The writing is along the same lines as EL James 50 Shades of Grey, although Fisher has the excuse of having received ECT (electroconvulsive therapy or shock treatment). Simple and a bit on the rambling side. She repeats herself quite a bit, and one wonders what happened to the editor and if Fisher was just given free reign.

Not as enjoyable as Wishful Drinking. And provides little additional insight, outside of the fact that Fisher not only manages to forgive Liz Taylor for breaking up her parents, but gets her mother to find a way of doing it too. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
I love Carrie, and her personality shines through in almost everything she writes. This one is a little too short and lacking in depth to pack any sort of punch, and Carrie never really explains why she thinks the electroshock treatment is effective or why she is so depressed in the first place, yet it still manages to be a pleasant read... I'd save it for a short plane trip. ( )
  cherrybob_omb | Sep 23, 2013 |
wing-nutty crazy famous lady spiels about herself, entertaining but ultimately a disappointing story-arch (am I spelling that right?)

it pales in comparison to last year's road-trip audiobook: A Paper Life by Tatum O'Neal - next time maybe we should be more adventurous and choose something outside the realm of 70's childhood celebrity crushes? ( )
  tvgrl | Jul 26, 2013 |
I liked it, though Wishful Drinking is better. This new book rehashes a lot of the same ground, though, as Carrie points out several times, we probably shouldn't hold some repetition against her, what with her memory being partially electrocuted and all.

There have been a lot of humorous celebrity memoirs and commentary on life in general out lately, but Carrie Fisher stands out even among them. Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling may be geniuses on the screen and in screenwriting, but Carrie Fisher can write. And write well. Even when the material is deja vu, she uses words so deftly and killingly that you don't mind making the same trip twice. ( )
  readrunandrepeat | Apr 3, 2013 |
For Billie and Barack, who make my world a better place. Despite the obstacles you've had to overcome -- whether posed by my antics or the uber-unfortunate antics of the Tea Partiers and the rest of their distressing ilk -- long may you wave.
What was it I wanted to tell you?
I've kept my fair share of vigils at the bedsides of those with only a few moments, or days, or weeks to spare. I know what's required inherently of me, and I know that I'll do everything to be equal to this considerable situation. Everyone understands their role. One stays until the other can't anymore. And the one who won't be able to stick around is much more important than the one who can. And I find relief in the understanding and acceptance of the unspoken urgency in this arrangement. I'll love them until they can't be loved anymore in this whatever you call it ... what's the word? Dimension? Plane? Could it be a riotlessly new-agey as that?

Bad news . . .

. . . for anyone who thought Carrie Fisher had finally stopped talking about herself: Sorry, but after all of her seemingly endless blathering on about her nose-bleedhigh- class problems, it appears she has yet another brand-new problem to overshare about (though don’t expect to relate to it). This time, the electro-convulsive shock therapy she’s been regularly undergoing is threatening to wipe out (what’s left of) her memory.

But get ready for a shock of your own. Not only doesn’t she mind paying the second electric bill, but she loves the high-voltage treatments. In fact, she gets a real charge out of them. She can’t get enough. In fact, this might even be a brand-new addiction for her. But before she can truly commit herself to it in the long term, she’d better get some of those more nagging memories of hers on paper.

It’s been a roller coaster of a few years for Carrie since her Tony- and Emmy-nominated, one-woman Broadway show and New York Times bestselling book Wishful Drinking. She not only lost her beloved father, but also her once-upon-a-very-brief-time stepmother, Elizabeth Taylor. And as if all that weren’t enough, she also managed to lose over forty pounds of unwanted flesh—not by sawing off a leg (though that did cross her zapped mind) but by doing what might be termed “wishful shrinking,” all the while staying sober and sane-ish. And she wants to tell you, dear reader, all about it . . . and more.

Why? Because she wants you to someday be able to remind her about how Elizabeth Taylor settles a score and the scatological wonders of shoe tycoons. She doesn’t want to forget about how she and Michael Jackson became friends or how she ended up sparring with none other than Ted Kennedy on a dinner date. And she especially wants to preserve her memories of Eddie Fisher—what their relationship really was and the beautiful story it turned out to be in the end.

Yes, of course, Shockaholic is laugh-out-loud funny, acerbic, and witty as hell. But it also reveals a new side of Carrie Fisher that may even bring a pleasant shock your way: it is contemplative, vulnerable, and ultimately quite tender.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

The electro-convulsive shock therapy she's been regularly undergoing is threatening to wipe out (what's left of) Fisher's memory. This might even be a brand-new addiction for her. But before she can truly commit herself to it in the long term, she decided to get some of those more nagging memories of hers on paper.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible