Outside In (Inside Out, #2) by Maria V.…

Outside In (Inside Out, #2) (edition 2011)

by Maria V. Snyder

Series: Insider (2)

Member:booksandwine
Title:Outside In (Inside Out, #2)
Authors:Maria V. Snyder
Info:Harlequin Teen (2011), Paperback
Tags:to-read

Outside In by Maria V. Snyder

Lots of up and down with not a lot in between. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Didn't like it quite as much as the first one. It finally, finally got interesting around 48%, and didn't really catch me til ~83% (And I was watching, on my kindle, as the percentage rose). At least it ended up being a good book by the end. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
It's hard to review this book without starting with a brief explanation of Inside Out, the first in the series. Maria V. Snyder has created the nicely ordered world of Inside, where people are divided into uppers and scrubs. They're kept completely separated, and controlled by the Population Control officers, otherwise known as Pop Cops. Things generally go according to plan until Trella hears what the latest "prophet" has to say and is intrigued. Things spiral out of control, and before long, we've a revolution on our hands.

Now, the revolution is over and things are going to go smoothly from here on out. There's a newly formed Committee to oversee things, and people are definitely going to do what they're needed to do.

Hah. Nope. In fact, pretty much nothing goes according to plan and then it really gets interesting. I'm seriously hating that I can't really say much more about plotlines without giving away huge things. I'm just going to have to tell you to go read these two books. Because really, you should.

I'm really starting to love dystopia. I started out hating it, thinking solely of things like Animal Farm and 1984 from my high school days. They really colored my perceptions for a long time. Now I'd probably read them with a different mindset and actually like them. I like reading things like this with the added bonus of a couple more decades of living. :D I somehow like knowing that our society really could degenerate to this point and I like hoping that perhaps some of the powers that be are reading the same books I am and taking notes. I know, it's probably a pipe dream, and probably really weird of me, but there it is.

These books, Inside Out and Outside In, are great representatives of the genre. Freaky to the point of being nearly believable and well-written at that. I promise I'm not just being nice because Snyder is one of my favorite authors. These are seriously well done. I sometimes read dystopia with the mindset of finding plot holes and such, but there are none. None that leaped out at me and distracted me from the story, at least, which leads me to believe that there just are none.

I like the characters, I like the situation, I like the struggles, and I like the independence shown. But most of all, I like it when...

Wait. Can't tell that bit. O_o

Okay, you get the picture. Head on out and buy a copy of both books. It'll be money well spent and you won't regret it.

Both books get my 'Pick me' rating for awesomeness. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Last book had the revolution, this one has the post-revolution. I could imagine how Trella wanted someone else to take charge and leave her be for a while. She needed her life and some breathing space after the revolution and everyone seemed to be convinced that she should be some sort of great leader. I mean seriously, who wants a teenager in charge of a society?

Plots and misunderstandings and backstabbing abounds along with mysterious sabotage and an enemy from outside (not that they needed that as well). Not a bad read but there were times when I really wanted the society to make some decisions that didn't involve a young girl who needed space and time to become an adult that she wanted to be. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 24, 2013 |
Outside In by Maria V Snyder is is the sequel to the excellent Inside Out. As it draws so heavily on the original, I recommend reading the books in order.

Trella, though still a scrub is also part of the newly formed leadership of Inside. She has plenty of ideas for improving her world but she is constantly pulled in multiple directions. The committee wants to do one thing, her friends another. Just as she's trying to find the perfect balance between her obligations, there are accidents, sabotage and the Controllers, all threatening to end Inside's journey through space.

Be warned, that the book starts off a little slow. The slow pacing is there to reacquaint readers with Trella, Riley and Inside. It also serves to show how much time Trella is spending trying to placate the committee while the clock is ticking on important repairs and maintenance.

Once the stage is set, though, Outside In picks up the pace and doesn't let up until the last page. It is a satisfying mystery/thriller in a science fiction setting.

While Outside In finishes Trella's story with satisfaction, I would love to revisit Inside at different times in its journey. I'd love to see how things started. I also want to see how things play out when the journey is ended. I don't expect Maria V. Snyder to write either of these books, but it speaks to the strength of her world building and character building that I have come away both sated and wanting more. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 12, 2013 |
To Mary-Theresa Hussey,
for her editorial excellence and extreme patience. Thanks for the help, encouragement and smiley faces!
My fingers ached as my leg muscles trembled.

After leading a victorious rebellion against the Uppers, Trella is forced to continue her leadership role and must help her people face a threat from outside their cube.

Harlequin

An edition of this book was published by Harlequin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible