Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel…

Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:cmslib29631
Title:Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Hardcover, 96 pages
Collections:Your library, Senior Elementary
Tags:reference, poetry, srelem

Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein (2005)

Recently added byAlloc, Ray.Gun, dtune, mcghol, greeniezona, Tuckasaurus, fatdulac, jlo012, kraye, private library

Bibliographic Information: Shel Silverstein, “Runny Babbit”, Illustrated by Shel Silverstein, Published by HarperCollins, ©2005, 89 pages
Genre: Poetry
Summary: Runny Babbit goes through a lot of experiences through the book. Shel plays with words in each poem so that it’s fun to read. Runny Babbit has a lot of difficulties and fun through the book.
Tags: Cute, Bunny Rabbits, Sweet
My Response: Some parts of the book are hard to read at first but after I read it again it was easy. I’ve always like to read Shel so reading this was different for me. I would read this book again though.
  EmilyBascio | May 5, 2014 |
Summary:
Runny Babbitt is a fun and silly book of poetry written by well known author, Shel Silverstein, however it wasn't published until after his death. This book has over 40 poems written with letters switched around to make it silly and interesting rhymes about the life of "Runny Babbitt.

Personal Reaction:
This was a cute book that I am sure most children would find entertaining and fun, however, as an adult I found it hard to read and time consuming and it could be frustrating for some students.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would use this book at the end of the school day and I would read a couple poems a day until the book was finished just as entertainment for my students.
2. I would use this book to show an alternate style of poetry for my students to learn about and I would challenge my students to write their own poem in this silly way and share with the class. ( )
  AngelaBates | Apr 24, 2014 |
Shel Silverstein’s final poetry collection, Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook, published several years after his death, will surely please any fan hoping for one last laugh with the popular poet. Although not quite as successful as his other classics, Where the Sidewalk Ends or The Giving Tree, anyone faithful to the warmth and humor of Silverstein’s poetry and illustrations will not be disappointed by Runny Babbit.
Runny Babbit, as you might have guessed, is a bunny rabbit. Silverstein introduces Runny’s world at the opening of the book as such: “They do thing and they say things/In a different sort of way--/Instead of sayin’ ‘purple hat’/They say ‘hurple pat’.” The entirety of the book continues in this way, with short poems typical of the author that dive straight to the joke.
Runny Babbit is the sort of book with the potential to either frustrate reluctant readers or be their savior. Most likely it will be the latter, as the rhymes are simply patterned and predictable, and a child should feel safer to make mistakes since most of the words are scrambled in the first place. Silverstein’s work has a freshness to it that does not fade with rereading; just the sort of author one would want to read as a child only to find that you cannot wait to someday read it to your children and your children’s children. ( )
  ARQuay | Nov 10, 2013 |
Gust jot done with seading Runny Babbitt to my ron.
He said, "Lad I dove beading rooks better than tovies and mv."
And of we go to the library to bick another pook to tead rogether.
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
Gust jot done with seading Runny Babbitt to my ron.
He said, "Lad I dove beading rooks better than tovies and mv."
And of we go to the library to bick another pook to tead rogether.
  smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
For Marry Loyer
Way down in the green woods / Where the animals all play, / They do things and they say things / In a different sort of way -- / Instead of sayin' "purple hat," / They all say "hurple pat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256532, Hardcover)

Taken in dall smoses, this self-proclaimed "billy sook" is a fun-filled new (posthumously published) offering from children's poet Shel Silverstein, creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and other favorites. Completed prior to the poet's death in 1999, Runny Babbit was a work in progress for more than 20 years, and is populated by the likes of Runny Babbit, Toe Jurtle, Ploppy Sig, Polly Dorkupine, and Pilly Belican (who owns the Sharber Bop), all denizens of the green woods where letter-flipping runs rampant. In this madcap world, pea soup is sea poup, Capture the Flag is Fapture the Clag, and snow boots are bow snoots. Each poem incorporates the same kind of switcheroo wordplay found in "Runny's Hew Nobby:" Runny Babbit knearned to lit,/ And made a swat and heater,/ And now he sadly will admit/ He bight have done it metter." (Here, in one of many winningly simple line drawings, R. B. sits knitting one very long sleeve, which is labeled as such.) Children who have some fluency in reading will enjoy this bonsensical nook the most. (Ages 7 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

Runny Babbit lent to wunch And heard the saitress way, "We have some lovely stabbit rew -- Our Special for today." From the legendary creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends , A Light in the Attic , Falling Up , and The Giving Tree comes an unforgettable new character in children's literature. Welcome to the world of Runny Babbit and his friends Toe Jurtle, Skertie Gunk, Rirty Dat, Dungry Hog, Snerry Jake, and many others who speak a topsy-turvy language all their own. So if you say, "Let's bead a rook That's billy as can se," You're talkin' Runny Babbit talk, Just like mim and he.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,987,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible