Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein

Runny Babbit (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Shel Silverstein

Member:Savannah_Horton
Title:Runny Babbit
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Marion Boyars Publishers Ltd (2005), Hardcover, 84 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny language, family, makes children laugh, rabbit

Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein (2005)

This was another great book by Shel Silverstein. It is a book about a Bunny Rabbit and all the adventures he goes on, and they don't have to connect from page to page. The writing in this book, however is what makes it even more of a winner.

As expressed by the title "Runny Babbit: A billy sook," the whole book is written with a play on words. Sentences vary from standard English to words with their letters all jumbled up, yet still understandable to readers.

I can't really tell if their is a main message in this book, yet if I had to say, I would say it is just to have fun, and be silly! Shel Silverstein combines his drawings and his writing to create masterpieces, and he is without a doubt, one of my favorite authors. I loved this book overall! ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 10, 2014 |
o Summary of content/review: This text is filled with a continuous playing around and reworking of the English language, that of which finds the reader becoming tongue twisted and eager to read more!
o Evaluation: The diction used in this text, and the repetitive switching of the first letters of words contributes to the whimsical and light-hearted tone of the work.
o Target audience: Kindergarten-3rd grade
o Connection to classroom: I would use this in my classroom to motivate readers to continue to read poetry and also to express the author’s purpose for writing and how she goes about portraying her purpose. For example, the author’s switching of the first letters in words helps to express the light-hearted tone of the poem and in turn, conveys this tone to the audience.

CC Standards: RF.2.4c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.

Classification: Poetry/other literary works
  Nall0705 | Dec 1, 2014 |
This book is all about "Runny Babbit." All of the poems in the story are about his life, the people and experiences that he encounters.The book mixes up the first letter in the word by swapping it out, for example the poem entitled, "Runny Bakes a That."
I choose this book because I think it is a great book to use as an introductory poetry book. The poems are fun and creative which will capture the students attention. I also think the style of poetry used could be used for the students first poetry assignment. The students could swap the letters and make their own poem. This book would be best for students in second grade to fourth grade. Younger students might not be able to understand what is happening with the letters.
  astinchavez | Nov 13, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Shel Silverstein is always brilliant! His rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
  Helen.Broecker | Oct 2, 2014 |
For Marry Loyer
Way down in the green woods / Where the animals all play, / They do things and they say things / In a different sort of way -- / Instead of sayin' "purple hat," / They all say "hurple pat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256532, Hardcover)

Taken in dall smoses, this self-proclaimed "billy sook" is a fun-filled new (posthumously published) offering from children's poet Shel Silverstein, creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and other favorites. Completed prior to the poet's death in 1999, Runny Babbit was a work in progress for more than 20 years, and is populated by the likes of Runny Babbit, Toe Jurtle, Ploppy Sig, Polly Dorkupine, and Pilly Belican (who owns the Sharber Bop), all denizens of the green woods where letter-flipping runs rampant. In this madcap world, pea soup is sea poup, Capture the Flag is Fapture the Clag, and snow boots are bow snoots. Each poem incorporates the same kind of switcheroo wordplay found in "Runny's Hew Nobby:" Runny Babbit knearned to lit,/ And made a swat and heater,/ And now he sadly will admit/ He bight have done it metter." (Here, in one of many winningly simple line drawings, R. B. sits knitting one very long sleeve, which is labeled as such.) Children who have some fluency in reading will enjoy this bonsensical nook the most. (Ages 7 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

Runny Babbit lent to wunch And heard the saitress way, "We have some lovely stabbit rew -- Our Special for today." From the legendary creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends , A Light in the Attic , Falling Up , and The Giving Tree comes an unforgettable new character in children's literature. Welcome to the world of Runny Babbit and his friends Toe Jurtle, Skertie Gunk, Rirty Dat, Dungry Hog, Snerry Jake, and many others who speak a topsy-turvy language all their own. So if you say, "Let's bead a rook That's billy as can se," You're talkin' Runny Babbit talk, Just like mim and he.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,354,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible