Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein

Runny Babbit (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Shel Silverstein

Member:Savannah_Horton
Title:Runny Babbit
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:Marion Boyars Publishers Ltd (2005), Hardcover, 84 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny language, family, makes children laugh, rabbit

Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein (2005)

Episodic adventures of Runny Babbit as he plays and interacts with the other animals.
Fiction (animals aooear realistic, events and behaviors of animals unrealistic)
Media: pen
  klum15 | Mar 6, 2017 |
This book is about Runny Babbit and his friends and their unique sayings. This book is filled with poems that switch the first letter with the second words letter. I had a little bit of trouble reading it because I am not used to the first letters of words being switched. The illustrations bring the poem to life since it represents the scenario that is occurring in the poem. This is a great book to read aloud for first, second, third, and fourth graders. Students can also read this as an independent book to challenge their reading comprehension. ( )
  Sthefania | Feb 6, 2017 |
The big idea of this collection of poems is to have silly fun with words. I liked this collection but only after a few readings. It was difficult to read the first time through due to the replacement of the first letter of the words with first letters of other words in the sentence. The language is difficult to read for an adult so this is a good read aloud for younger readers and a challenge to slow down and concentrate for older readers. An example is in the title Runny Babbit is the name of the main character and his is a Bunny Rabbit. The second reason that I liked the books was the illustrations. They are black and white 2 dimensional line drawings depicting the action of each short 1 page poem. ( )
  cmcdon18 | Sep 17, 2016 |
This is a very cute book filled with poems about Runny Babbit and some of his animal friends. The poems all have words where the beginning letters are switched.
I really enjoyed reading this book. Sometimes it made me stop and think about what he was saying. It was nice to read something just for fun.
In my classroom I would like to read a few of these poems to my class every day. They would enjoy hearing them. We could dicuss the different types of poetry and how the letters in the words are switched. They could write their own silly poetry and do illustrations. ( )
  LoriES12 | Jul 25, 2016 |
This is my choice for a book of poetry for the 2016 Reading Challenge. I am not a fan of poetry unless it's accompanied by some roasting good music; and I almost despise sentimental muck about a dearly departed or some lover who has also departed - or not. This was an excellent book for me to read since it was a 'Billy Sook' and it was about a 'Runny Babbit'. Shel Silverstein took situations that are 'a day in the life of' and turned them into poems with transposed letters to create a mind twisting picnic of fun. I had a great time reading the poems, although I could only read a few at a time since they did play with your perceptions. Technically, the poems are straight-forward iambic pentameter accompanied with line drawings. They are better if read aloud, but don't attempt this after a glass of wine. Such fun! ( )
  DrLed | Jul 4, 2016 |
For Marry Loyer
Way down in the green woods / Where the animals all play, / They do things and they say things / In a different sort of way -- / Instead of sayin' "purple hat," / They all say "hurple pat."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256532, Hardcover)

Taken in dall smoses, this self-proclaimed "billy sook" is a fun-filled new (posthumously published) offering from children's poet Shel Silverstein, creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and other favorites. Completed prior to the poet's death in 1999, Runny Babbit was a work in progress for more than 20 years, and is populated by the likes of Runny Babbit, Toe Jurtle, Ploppy Sig, Polly Dorkupine, and Pilly Belican (who owns the Sharber Bop), all denizens of the green woods where letter-flipping runs rampant. In this madcap world, pea soup is sea poup, Capture the Flag is Fapture the Clag, and snow boots are bow snoots. Each poem incorporates the same kind of switcheroo wordplay found in "Runny's Hew Nobby:" Runny Babbit knearned to lit,/ And made a swat and heater,/ And now he sadly will admit/ He bight have done it metter." (Here, in one of many winningly simple line drawings, R. B. sits knitting one very long sleeve, which is labeled as such.) Children who have some fluency in reading will enjoy this bonsensical nook the most. (Ages 7 to 12) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

Runny Babbit lent to wunch And heard the saitress way, "We have some lovely stabbit rew -- Our Special for today." From the legendary creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends , A Light in the Attic , Falling Up , and The Giving Tree comes an unforgettable new character in children's literature. Welcome to the world of Runny Babbit and his friends Toe Jurtle, Skertie Gunk, Rirty Dat, Dungry Hog, Snerry Jake, and many others who speak a topsy-turvy language all their own. So if you say, "Let's bead a rook That's billy as can se," You're talkin' Runny Babbit talk, Just like mim and he.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,320,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible