Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia…

Of Love and Other Demons (1994)

by Gabriel García Márquez

Recently added byIsabelPireza, valoriefj, Yoyis13, TatjanaJP, n_morrell, private library
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace

English (46)  Spanish (8)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Korean (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (62)
‘’Ideas do not belong to anyone {...} They fly around up there like the angels.’’

Neither Colombia nor Gabriel García Márquez need any lengthy introduction. One of the most fascinating countries of our planet, beautiful, mystical, haunting. A land of tales, magic and lively people. A writer who is rightfully considered one of the finest in the history of Literature, a magician of words, an artist who elevated the novella genre and became one of the pioneers of Magical Realism. Of Love and Other Demons is my favourite work by Márquez and the one which initiated me into the beauty of his writing and started my fascination with Colombia. This was the moment to revisit it one more time…

A wild dog attacks the people in the market of Cartagena. All those who were bitten die of rabies with the exception of Sierva Maria, the daughter of the Marquis, who shows no sign of decline. Soon, strange incidents begin to take place in the city, attributed to the girl. When the plague starts, the Church takes an interest and begins to investigate whether Maria is actually possessed by demons. Cayetano, a gifted young priest, is assigned to her case and he comes to understand that the Devil is actually pretty weak when compared to two great forces: the madness of the human beings and Love. A kind of love that must survive the attack of the demons who are very much alive, walking on this miserable earth…

‘’Furthermore, a pig spoke and a goat gave birth to triplets.’’

Márquez presents a society that is steeped in superstition and sees evil and signs of doom everywhere. The disease of rabies has always been loaded with myths and otherworldly references. As it is transmitted by animal bites, it has been associated with creatures from all fantasy spectrums, from werewolves and vampires to the Devil himself. Furthermore, the psychological implications of the virus and the way in which victims were dying helped in elevating rabies to the sphere of the metaphysical and the unexplainable. Márquez used these myths to perfection in this novella. The atmosphere of magic and exoticism is further emphasized by the setting of the story. The port is ripe with commerce, slavery is still going strong. These factors comprise a multicultural society, an amalgam of ethnicities, languages, religions and common beliefs. Márquez uses the side effects of class discrimination and the variety of tradition to demonstrate the power of convictions on the thoughts and the life of the people. Religion can be seen either as a refuge or as an excuse to exert power on the helpless. A Bishop who would like to show how open-minded he is when he only aims at imposing his beliefs on everyone. An Abbess that cannot see in front of her nose, serving the malicious fundamentalism of the monasteries. And a priest that tries to fight against madness to save a girl who moves between two worlds, a presence full of secrets and contradictions. What is she? What truly happened?

Through sensuality, folklore and raw realism, Márquez creates a colourful tapestry of themes and beliefs, with a vivid cast of characters. Maria and Cayetano are two protagonists that left their mark on Márquez’s work, in a story that is visceral and beautiful, powerful and tragic. A fable, an exotic allegory that shows how human beings can do the worst evil imaginable. Not any demon, not any devil but men. Men that destroy all that is pure and good and strange by condemning it as unnatural and vile…

‘’I have always believed He attributes more importance to love than to faith.’’

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Aug 2, 2018 |
English translation was a bit rough to read. The story tended to beat around the bush. Very light but difficult read. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Mar 26, 2018 |
Surreal and beautifully-written, as always with Marquez's work, but I just found it a bit of something and nothing. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 8, 2017 |
il mio libro "gemello" ( )
  cry6379 | Sep 17, 2017 |
THIS IS SO SO TRAGIC.

The lines that struck me:
“When I stand and contemplate my fate and see the path along which you have led me,’ she recited.
‘I reach my end, for artless I surrendered to one who is my undoing and my end,’ he said.

“What would the poor of our day read if they did not read novels of chivalry in secret?”

“this is how we would have been.” ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
What is body and what survives? What is flesh and what is spirit and what is demonic? Mr. Garcia Marquez's answer is an almost didactic, yet brilliantly moving, tour de force.

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boon, AdriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grossman, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morino, AngeloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saaritsa, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the hair, it seems, is less concerned in the
resurrection than others parts of the body.
         THOMAS AQUINAS
         On the Integrity of Resurrected Bodies,
         Question 80, Chapter 5
For Carmen Balcells
        bathed in tears
An ash-gray dog with a white blaze on its forehead burst onto the rough terrain of the market on the first Sunday in December, knocked down tables of fried food, overturned Indian's stall and lottery kiosks, and bit four people who happened to cross its path.

Rabid dog bites girl;
parents, priest, bishop, nuns not
bit but rabid too.
(ed.pendragon)

From the Nobel Prize-winning author of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera comes an extraordinary reading experience, the story of a doomed love affair between a twelve-year-old girl and a bookish priest, three times her age, who's been sent to oversee her exorcism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

?Disponible por primera vez en eBook! Premio Nobel de Literatura "Una obra atrevida y cautivadora... Garc?a M?rquez retiene una voz admirable y vital, y la pluma de un ?ngel". --Los Angeles Times Book Review El 26 de octubre de 1949 el reportero Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez fue enviado al antiguo convento de Santa Clara, que iba a ser demolido para edificar sobre ?l un hotel de cinco estrellas, a presenciar el vaciado de las criptas funerarias y a cubrir la noticia. Se exhumaron los restos de un virrey del Per? y su amante secreta, un obispo, varias abadesas, un bachiller de artes y una marquesa. Pero la sorpresa salt? al destapar la tercera hornacina del altar mayor: se desparram? una cabellera de color cobre, de veintid?s metros y once cent?metros de largo, perteneciente a una ni?a. En la l?pida apenas se le?a el nombre: Sierva Mar?a de Todos los ?ngeles. Cuenta el propio Garc?a M?rquez: "Mi abuela me contaba de ni?o la leyenda de una marquesita de doce a?os cuya cabellera le arrastraba como una cola de novia, que hab?a muerto del mal de rabia por el mordisco de un perro, y era venerada en los pueblos del Caribe por sus muchos milagros. La idea de que esa tumba pudiera ser la suya fue mi noticia de aquel d?a, y el origen de este libro".… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,948,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible