In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (2007)

by Tana French

Series: Dublin Murder Squad (1)

English (331)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (344)
I had heard wonderful things about this literary mystery novel, but was disappointed when I read it. I found the novel slow and not as compelling as I would wish. A crime in modern time takes a cop back to the scene where two of his childhood friends vanished when he was a child. I found the crime in the past (which is never resolved) more compelling. The narrator is also not very likeable. This novel is the first in French’s Dublin Murder Squad series. Because each novel stars a different detective, you can probably read the series out of order. ( )
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |
As murder mystery plots go, this book is very middle-of-the-road. Like many others, I was disappointed that a major part of the mystery was not revealed by the end of the book. I did however, like the writing style and I almost always enjoy an unreliable narrator. Adam/Rob was very unreliable and I recognized that fact early in the book so was able to settle in and go along. While the plot could have been much, much better, I did find In The Woods to be an easy read and was mostly entertained by it. I'll probably give the next book a try at some point. ( )
  ScoLgo | Dec 1, 2014 |
Tara French's first novel about the (imaginary) Dublin Murder Squad.

In 1984, two boys and a tomboy girl, fast friends, went to play in the woods near a pristine Dublin suburb. One of the boys and the girl disappeared. The other boy was found clinging to a tree with blood in his shoes, his T-shirt torn in the back very neatly in three rips, and his memory of what happened gone. This boy, Adam Robert Ryan, was sent to school in England and came back to Ireland with a posh accent and a dropped first name. He becomes a policeman, then a homicide detective, forming a close but asexual relationship with his spunky (of course) female partner Cassie Maddox.

And, then, one day, a little girl is found murdered in the same woods and Ryan and Maddox are assigned to it. Of course Ryan should recuse himself from it but he doesn't. He hopes that solving this case he can also solve his case.

French was more interested in writing a literary novel that contained a mystery than writing a murder mystery. She gives a lot more detail about the detective's life and thoughts than I wanted to know. I have stopped reading mystery writers who did that in a way that slowed their stories to literary molasses. I didn't have that problem in this case, in part because poor Ryan was interesting and charming even when he was nattering, but, more importantly, because I didn't read it, I listened to it, and Mr. Crossley set a good pace.

Besides, her literary approach paid off. Freed from the usual genre constraints - and protections - she is free to allow her poor character to fall to pieces and mess everything up, "everything" including his investigation, his partnership, his career, and his life. I found this entertaining in the way that good psychological literature (and there is such a thing, Nabokov) is entertaining. I did sneer a little at the soap opera concerning Cassie, and it did turn into soap opera, even if I was vulgar enough to let his loss of her move me.

I was more impressed by her handling of Ryan's attempts to solve the crime committed against him. The strongest part of the novel, a chapter worthy of being included in an annual collection of horror stories, has the fool deciding to spend a night in the woods by himself with only a flashlight and a sleeping bag, hoping something will come out of his memory. What pops out of his memory is a vicious nightmare that has him running from the woods and, eventually, into Cassie's bed. I have rarely read a more convincing account of what a psychological trauma feels like. Of course I was shook by this because I have suffered panic attacks, and while driving a vehicle at high speeds. As I suspected would happen from page one, Ryan solves (halfway) the contemporary murder but not his crime. He must live with what he can't remember for the rest of his life. A sad, moving ending, that.

I would like to believe that French used her literary devices in part to conceal clues in her mystery. I missed one of the killers and a large part of the solution simply because I lazily accepted Ryan as a reliable narrator and a competent detective. I am the more embarrassed by this because I could tell that he was misjudging one character completely, a teenaged minx whom I correctly suspected of being behind the murder. I have been rarely angered by an author or a character, but when Ryan tried to make light of his blunder by claiming that the girl fooled his readers as much as she fooled him, I was mildly offended. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Nov 23, 2014 |
I liked Steven Crossley's rendering of the imperfect hero, which displayed his weaknesses while maintaining sympathy, if not respect. I liked even better his rendering of the spunky female detective who is his partner. I could envision her sitting in a chair, wearing her combat books, sneering at uncooperative bureaucrats. I didn't like his performance of the psychopathic teenage girl villainess as much, but he was fine as a befuddled rape victim, harassed father, little old Irish lady, gruff boss, etc. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Nov 23, 2014 |
WARNING: This post contains spoilers about In the Woods by Tana French.

In her debut psychological thriller IN THE WOODS, author Tana French weaves an intriguing story between the past and the present time. Twenty years ago, two young children disappeared in the woods around Knocknaree, Ireland, outside Dublin, and the third child involved, friends with the other two, who was found and rescued but left traumatized and with amnesia. The case remains unsolved.

In the present day, that third child, the one who was rescued, has grown up: he's called Rob Ryan, a change from his childhood name, and he's a detective in the murder jurisdiction of the local law enforcement. He and his partner Cassie, a long-time friend, take a case set in the very woods surrounding Knocknaree where Ryan was rescued and his friends vanished so long ago.

Now, a young girl is found, brutally murdered, on the site of an archaeological dig where experts work frantically to rescue as many artifacts as possible before a government-sanctioned roadway is built straight through the area, contrary to most of the residents' preferences. The girl's family gives every indication that something is wrong, but without a thorough investigation that drags Ryan back through all the hideous memories resurfacing from his past, he and Cassie will never find out what it is, let alone where the girl was murdered, who killed her, and whether her death had anything to do with her father's stance against the new roadway.

If the back copy of the book had not told me that the work was a psychological thriller, I might have called it literary fiction. The writing is dense and rich, with lovingly detailed descriptions that painted beautiful pictures of setting and people and conversations in my head as I read. Stylistically, it's a long work, with a first-person point-of-view narrator (Ryan) and the occasional omniscient break-in (most of the descriptions aren't rendered in Ryan's voice) that French manages to make seamless.

My favorite character of the work was Cassie Maddox, Ryan's partner, for her down-to-earth practicality and sisterly determination to protect Ryan from the current case and what it might make him remember of his past. Their relationship, that of best friends or blood relatives, is both intimate and platonic, involved and easy.

Skipping between Ryan's experiences in the present day and his slowly returning memories of his childhood maintains the tension and suspense throughout the work to the very end, where --- to be entirely honest --- I really didn't suspect the person who turned out to be the girl's killer. It was a shock, and something of a horrified realization when I finally put two and two together and came up with five in my head (sort of a "So that's why things never added up ..." moment).

I was, however, disappointed in the work as a whole. By the final chapters, there is little closure or redeemable quality to the work.

WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW

For instance, while the girl's killer is discovered, circumstances make it impossible to convince a jury of the killer's guilt. Meanwhile, Ryan makes a number of really irrational decisions and winds up distancing himself from everybody, even alienating his own partners on the case, and gets himself into serious career trouble. His partnership with Cassie is entirely demolished, without hope of resurrection.

Finally, to my disgust, the unexplained disappearance of Ryan's two friends and his trauma in the woods twenty years earlier ... is never resolved. Ryan's memories slip away; no new clues emerge; there is no new evidence to point to what happened. I was left wondering why on earth that old story had even been mentioned in relation to the current present-day narrative, since neither apparently had anything to do with the other.

It seems to me that when a book begins with a prologue that lures the reader in so explicitly with a mysterious, psychologically frightening puzzle of the sort presented by Ryan's childhood story, the book is also making an implicit promise to the reader: to tie up the loose ends somehow by the end of the book, to provide an answer to the riddle or a solution to the puzzle or at least closure in some way.

As it turned out, I felt cheated, having read more than four hundred pages of close text to discover ... nothing.

I had hoped to be as impressed with IN THE WOODS as other readers seem to be --- the work was a New York Times bestseller and an Edgar Award Winner, after all --- but I remain disappointed, and I can't see any reason to pick up her second book, THE LIKENESS, though it seems to be a companion novel to this one, to find out whether there's any more closure by its conclusion.

# # #

Title: IN THE WOODS
Author: Tana French
ISBN: 978-0-14-311349-2
Purchase here: http://amzn.to/1vrQOna

Disclaimer: The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Eleanore_Trupkiewicz | Nov 20, 2014 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered...What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"--Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,433,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible