In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tana French

Title:In the Woods
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Tags:mystery, suspense/thriller, author-Ireland, unread

In the Woods by Tana French (2007)

Recently added bymccark, ah3238, dandi, private library, lnmoser, jlhmom, LempsterLibrary, LitaVore, chrisperrey, CptKirk
    The Likeness by Tana French (2810michael)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    Haunted Ground by Erin Hart (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Irish setting, good characters and well written
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    Sister by Rosamund Lupton (kraaivrouw)
    In the Forest by Edna O'Brien (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Murder mysteries set in forests of Ireland, although otherwise not very similar.
    This Body of Death by Elizabeth George (cometahalley)
    The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Missing persons cases drive these lyrical, richly detailed novels that blend Mystery and Psychological Fiction to explore family secrets, childhood friendships, and the loss of innocence. First-person narration heightens suspense by calling into question the reliability of memory.… (more)
    Gallows Hill by Rory O'Brien (msouliere)
    December by Phil Rickman (ehines)

English (396)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (410)
Now I know what it feels like to be a dog around a person who keeps pretending to throw the ball but never actually does. ( )
  dandi | Oct 20, 2016 |
First of six crime novels. Recommended by KMT ( )
  rwt42 | Oct 5, 2016 |
I have owned this book for several years but never got around to reading it. Tana French occasionally comes across my radar in reviews of other authors' works so I finally committed to reading this one. I listed to most of it on audio and the narrator is pretty good - a little weak with the female characters. The story is told from the perspective of Adam "Rob" Ryan. He and his partner, Cassie Maddox, are very good friends but also make a formidable investigative team. Rob has even told her his biggest secret - that he was one of the three kids who disappeared from a small suburb of Dublin years ago, and the only one who came back. He has no memory of what happened on the day he lost his two best friends but, when the body of a young girl is found in the same area, Rob can't help but feel weird about potential connections. They work the case methodically and there are no shortage of suspects but very little useful evidence. Tana French's style of writing is very dense and detailed so the characters are well-developed and the intricacies of a difficult police investigation are fascinating but it's not a page-turner and the characters are sometimes difficult to like. Even though Cassie and Rob have a fun relationship, the overall tone of the book is one of impending doom. The resolution of the mystery and its aftermath is more involved than usual in this genre which some readers will like and others will not. ( )
  bookappeal | Sep 30, 2016 |
In the Woods is about three kids who play in the woods near their homes, but only one is found, Adam Robert Ryan. Twenty years latrr, he's a detective who's investigating a murder of a girl in the same woods where his friends disappeared.

I never would have guessed that this was a debut novel; she writes like a veteran right out of the gate. She has fully developed characters that will have you knowing all of their little personality quirks.

She adds a touch of humor at times, such as this snippet between Rob and his partner Cassie when they're discussing their boss's upcoming press conference.

"'And no...slaughtered...livestock,' Cassie said, writing."
"He is not going to say that at the press conference. 'We didn't find a dead chicken'?"
"Bet you a fiver he does. He won't even miss a beat."

She's great at utilizing the senses with pinpoint accuracy, such as this line:

"Mark lit up and blew a noisy, disgusted stream of smoke out of the window."

I heard such a distinct sound after I read that that I couldn't help but laugh.

This novel will have you wanting to keep reading until the end. Even as a debut novelist she knew to trust the reader to infer. For example, the ending. You'll want to read more Tana French novels after reading this one.

Jenny's Book Bag In the Woods review. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I read this years ago - I remember enjoying it but don't have a very clear picture of it lying around in my head anymore. I'd like to revisit and read other books in the series.
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenniferCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, NancyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered... What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"
-- Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,702,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible