In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tana French

Member:dallenbaugh
Title:In the Woods
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, 2012 Books Read, Prize Winners
Rating:***

In the Woods by Tana French (2007)

The Likeness by Tana French (2810michael)
    Haunted Ground by Erin Hart (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Irish setting, good characters and well written
    Faithful Place by Tana French (elvisettey)
    Sister by Rosamund Lupton (kraaivrouw)
    Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These psychological suspense novels feature characters who, as young children, witness horrible crimes and must now revisit their painful pasts to discover the truth. The stories are fast paced, chilling, and atmospheric.
    The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Missing persons cases drive these lyrical, richly detailed novels that blend Mystery and Psychological Fiction to explore family secrets, childhood friendships, and the loss of innocence. First-person narration heightens suspense by calling into question the reliability of memory.… (more)
    Gallows Hill by Rory O'Brien (msouliere)
    This Body of Death by Elizabeth George (cometahalley)
    December by Phil Rickman (ehines)

English (348)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (361)
I found the prose annoyingly pompous and I could not proceed further than the prologue. I understand this was French's first book, so maybe her writing has improved since then. I might try her latest to test that theory. ( )
  FlorenceArt | Jul 27, 2015 |
This is my first book by Tana French and I also think my first book based in Ireland. This was a very interesting book. The story starts by telling us about an incident that happened in 1984. Three children went into the woods and 2 disappeared and the third was covered in blood. So what happened to the other 2?

That is what you are told in the beginning. Now 20 some years later there is another murder in the woods and now the detectives need to find out if the 2 are related. Plus one of the detectives is the one boy from that incident in 1984.

This story was one that kept you guessing from the very beginning. Who would kill a 12 year old girl who was sweet and innocent? She was headed to ballet school. Her life was just beginning. To find out in the end exactly who did it was one that you will have to discover for yourself by reading the book. ( )
  crazy4reading | Jul 26, 2015 |
This one is #1 in the Dublin Murder Squard series. I really can't wait to get into the rest of the series. There are two cases interwoven here, and French does an awesome job on keeping them both on track. It's long, there's a lot happening, and I loved every page of it. There is romance, regret, scenery, violence, vigilance, police procedural (and territorial turf battles) and everything melded perfectly. I can certainly see what all the hype was about. I wasn't happy with the ending, but it fit the story and made me want to continue the series. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jul 23, 2015 |
This book had a really promising plot. I tried reading it but couldn't make it through the epilogue because it felt too descriptive and detailed. I get a limited time to read books because of my mind numbing job. the last thing I want is a book that eats up my brain. a novel is something which should be light imo.

anyway I tried reading chapter 1 but lost focus every few lines. finally gave up after a couple of pages. too bad this could have been a good book. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |

Le bajo puntuación porque no tarde en darme cuenta quien era "el asesino misterioso" ....

Después , el resto es perfecto . Un protagonista complejo , original , intrigante y con el cual es casi imposible simpatizar (al menos en mi caso ) , lo cual aumenta su atractivo y el misterio que lo rodea .

LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenniferCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, NancyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered... What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"
-- Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:21 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,435,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible