In the Woods by Tana French

In the Woods (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tana French

Member:cattwing
Title:In the Woods
Authors:Tana French
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

In the Woods by Tana French (2007)

Recently added bysamwise17, c.n.l, private library, chrissilu68, sklee, jenladuca, mfdavis, CasualFriday
    The Likeness by Tana French (2810michael)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (elvisettey)
    Haunted Ground by Erin Hart (mikedraper)
    mikedraper: Irish setting, good characters and well written
    Sister by Rosamund Lupton (kraaivrouw)
    The End of Everything by Megan Abbott (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Missing persons cases drive these lyrical, richly detailed novels that blend Mystery and Psychological Fiction to explore family secrets, childhood friendships, and the loss of innocence. First-person narration heightens suspense by calling into question the reliability of memory.… (more)
    Gallows Hill by Rory O'Brien (msouliere)
    This Body of Death by Elizabeth George (cometahalley)
    December by Phil Rickman (ehines)

English (340)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (353)
This is the first of French's amazing Dublin Murder Squad series, but I'm reading them all out of order and it doesn't matter. They all feature flawed, troubled protagonists, a beautifully rendered, gritty Irish setting, and suspenseful story lines. This, her first novel in the series, is about Adam Robert Ryan, a detective investigating the murder of a 12-year-old dance student near the very spot where he and his two friends were abducted in the 1980s. He hides this possible conflict of interest from his bosses, but shares it with partner Cassie Maddox, who is appropriately skeptical of his insistence that his past has no impact on his investigation. The relationship between Ryan and Maddox was for me a huge part of the book's appeal, and I suppose a benefit of reading the series out of order is knowing that Maddox is going to show up in other books.

The other appeal of the series is how French incorporates contemporary Irish issues into her plot lines. In this book the conflict between developers and scholars over the bulldozing of an important archaeological site plays a major role in the mystery, and it was just plain interesting in its own right. ( )
  CasualFriday | May 17, 2015 |
What just happened? Ok, I'm one of those people who doesn't like loose ends. Unresolved things. The "Hey, guess what? Oh, never mind. I'm not going to tell you." It makes me mad. But the book was really good and I would recommend it in spite of its unresolved things. And I would have given it five stars if it would have answered just one question in particular. Content rating: It does contain language. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
An extremely disruptive book--my laundry, grocery shopping, and other chores went undone because I had trouble putting it down...The story is basically a whodunit, well written and neatly plotted, but it flirts with other possibilities (horror? thriller? suspense?) that add to the mystery. The first-person narrator suffered traumatic amnesia as a twelve-year-old child. He was discovered, blood spattered, in a state of shock, after he and two friends failed to come home late one summer afternoon. The fate of the two friends remains undefined, but Ryan, the survivor, now in his thirties, grows up to be a police detective assigned to investigate the murder of a young girl killed in the same locale...a great read. ( )
  LizHD | Mar 25, 2015 |
Tana French has been recommended to me by just about everyone I know, and I decided to start at the beginning. This book did not disappoint. The tension and suspense were impeccable, but intelligent; at one point I was so terrified, and my SO was out of town, and I had to wait for him to be in the house before I could continue! But the human element was also so, so important - French's ability to mix both sides together artfully is fabulous. I can't wait to read her other books. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
Three months later and I'm still not over this book. I am also still obsessed with Rob Ryan ( )
  beearedee | Feb 16, 2015 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected. Drawn by the grim nature of her plot and the lyrical ferocity of her writing, even smart people who should know better will be able to lose themselves in these dark woods.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Probably just somebody's nasty black poodle. But I've always wondered... What if it really was Him, and He decided I wasn't worth it?"
-- Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
For my father, David French,
and my mother, Elena Hvostoff-Lombardi
Picture a summer stolen whole from some coming-of-age film set in small-town 1950s.
What I am telling you, before you begin my story, is this--two things: I crave truth. And I lie.
We think about mortality so little, these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches.
To my mind the defining characteristic of our era is spin, everything tailored to vanishing point by market research, brands and bands manufactured to precise specifications; we are so used to things transmuting into whatever we would like them to be that it comes as a profound outrage to encounter death, stubbornly unspinnable, only and immutably itself.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence," he told me reproachfully.
Maybe she, like me, would have loved the tiny details and the inconveniences even more dearly than the wonders, because they are the things that prove you belong.

As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

Richly atmospheric, stunning in its complexity, and utterly convincing and surprising to the end, In the Woods is sure to enthrall fans of Mystic River and The Lovely Bones. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:58 -0400)

Detective Rob Ryan and his partner, Cassie Maddox, investigate the murder of a 12-year-old girl near a Dublin suburb. The case resonates with similarities to a murder committed twenty years before that involved two children and the young Ryan.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,203,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible