Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the…

Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Vicki Myron (Author)

Series: Dewey (2)

This volume contains inspiring, funny, and heartwarming stories about cats told from the perspective of Dewey's Mom, librarian Myron. Includes never-before-told stories about Dewey, along with other touching cat tales.
Member:TalecArashi
Title:Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions
Authors:Vicki Myron (Author)
Info:Dutton (2010), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Location: H-dale, Currently reading
Tags:cats, books

Dewey's Nine Lives by Vicki Myron (2010)

Quite frankly, I was disappointed in this book. I had read it was not a sequel to the original, but I was not expecting therapy for the writers involved. I get that their cats helped them through tough times and were a great comfort to them, but this book read a lot more like catharsis for those writers than about their cats.

It was sometimes confused as to when the POV switched over from Vicki Myron to the narrator of each particular segment, especially since it appears Myron knows several of the people involved. I am also really skeptical about the last story--Glenn. It read a bit too much like a sob story that was a little too unbelievable. No one gossiped or questioned when one of his exes apparently had a group of bikers at their house?

I get it's easy to make the man the villain, but I am shocked that there was not a whiff of gossip or blame placed on the wife. Quite frankly, I wonder how much effort he put into trying to keep in touch with his kids as well. I really do think his story was probably cleaned up a bit because he's now the partner of the author. It's really sweet that they got together, but don't ask the reader to play completely dumb. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I'm not interested in the 'cult of personality' or whatever, nor do I believe in angels. I skimmed this just for a little more about the library - patrons, staff, financial struggles, etc. Unfortunately I didn't find anything. However if you love heartwarming stories of how cats touch lives, do pick this up.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Every library and bookstore should have a cat. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Kinda reminded me of the Chicken Soup books, which is good, I really enjoyed it. I lent it to my sister who enjoyed it so much she has refused to give it back!!

*received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads ( )
  twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
Loved this book! Great stories of people and their cats. Especially the last story. Dewey's story is sweet and I'm sure he was too. If you love libraries and cats, you will love this book. ( )
  bandpmom | Jun 5, 2015 |
Myron tells a series of frankly sad stories about people and cats knocked about by life and finding homes with each other (among them, a man she’s now planning to marry). Each story is, by turns, bleak and uplifting. (Many cats are discovered half-dead from neglect or abuse before finding a loving home, but there are few happy endings.) The writing is plain and direct, and largely devoid of sentimentality...Myron’s compilation in honour of her late little friend may not be the most consistently comforting read, but it is a surprisingly provocative one.

Thank you Vickie, and thank you Dewey... I don't believe in angels, but Dewey comes close.
Christien B Tampa, FL
To Glenn

for his amzaing love and support
I disagree with the person who wrote that letter, because I do believe there are angels walking among us, helping us grow.

From the back:
Nine lives

Nine stories

*Yvonne Barry & Tobie & Dewey

A new tale featuring Dewey and how he touched the heart of a quiet woman after she lost her own beloved cat

*Barbara Lajinesss & Mr. Sir Bob Kittens

A spirited kitten brings back memories of Barbara's childhood with her beloved mother, the "crazy cat lady" of Fenton, Michigan.

* Bill Bezanson & Spooky
A Vietnam vet with undiagnosed PTSD rambles through life until one day a tiny black kitten literally falls into his lap...and changes him forever.

*Glenn Albertson & Rusty & Dewey
A hardworking man with a life full of twists & turns, and dark corners, finds new love and happiness after Rusty teaches him to let go of his anger and live in the moment, like a cat

And more...

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Vicki Myron's book Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,182,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible