Dewey's Nine Lives: The Magic of a…

Dewey's Nine Lives: The Magic of a Small-town Library Cat Who Touched… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Vicki Myron

Member:realbigcat
Title:Dewey's Nine Lives: The Magic of a Small-town Library Cat Who Touched Millions
Authors:Vicki Myron
Info:Penguin Audio (2010), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:Library Audio

Dewey's Nine Lives by Vicki Myron (2010)

So call me a crazy cat lady. I will accept that if reading this and enjoying it are indicative of being a crazy cat lady. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
Cute little fluffy book. Not much effort required. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 29, 2013 |
Well I finally finished this book. I was not overly impressed with this book. I thought I would be reading more about Dewey than life in Spencer Iowa.

I did enjoy the beginning and how Dewey came to live in the library. The rest with the personal life was not all that interesting.

Learning about how Dewey touched people was interesting but that was all I enjoyed. ( )
  crazy4reading | Dec 27, 2012 |
Super book for the cat lover. I wasn't really familiar with Dewey the cat before this book which is actually a follow-up to another book just about Dewey. This book contains stories about other people and their cats. The stories are very entertaining. As with most books about pets the stories hit on a wide aaray of emotions including the sad fact that the pets will die someday. This book had a great surprise ending. If you love animals especially cats you will love this book. ( )
  realbigcat | Nov 21, 2012 |
This is a wonderful collection of stories inspired by readers of Vicki Myron's other book and is filled with the healing properties that animals can bring to your life. Several of the stories really touched my heart, especially Spooky which tells the tale of a Vietnam vet who is suffering from undiagnosed PTSD and the redemption he finds with a black cat who truly had nine lives. This cat was literally dropped onto the roof of his car one night by a bird of prey and Bill takes the cat to a nearby vet in hopes that the animal can be saved. The cat lives and survives more animal encounters with a bear and a coyote. The most incredible part of the story is how this cat truly helps Bill overcome his own issues by providing unconditional love.

My other favorite is the story of Cookie, another cat who is not supposed to live and the woman who adopts her even though she doesn't have room for another cat. Cookie demands to be taken home from a no kill shelter and quickly establishes herself as ruler of the domain she presides over. No matter what kind of day Lynda has, Cookie is there for her. The stories in this book just make you feel good with warm fuzzies. A few of the stories are a bit sad, but they are also very uplifting at the same time. I can't imagine another book that is more perfect for gift giving to your favorite animal person this holiday season. ( )
  MaryinHB | Nov 13, 2011 |
Myron tells a series of frankly sad stories about people and cats knocked about by life and finding homes with each other (among them, a man she’s now planning to marry). Each story is, by turns, bleak and uplifting. (Many cats are discovered half-dead from neglect or abuse before finding a loving home, but there are few happy endings.) The writing is plain and direct, and largely devoid of sentimentality...Myron’s compilation in honour of her late little friend may not be the most consistently comforting read, but it is a surprisingly provocative one.

Thank you Vickie, and thank you Dewey... I don't believe in angels, but Dewey comes close.
Christien B Tampa, FL
To Glenn

for his amzaing love and support
I disagree with the person who wrote that letter, because I do believe there are angels walking among us, helping us grow.

From the back:
Nine lives

Nine stories

*Yvonne Barry & Tobie & Dewey

A new tale featuring Dewey and how he touched the heart of a quiet woman after she lost her own beloved cat

*Barbara Lajinesss & Mr. Sir Bob Kittens

A spirited kitten brings back memories of Barbara's childhood with her beloved mother, the "crazy cat lady" of Fenton, Michigan.

* Bill Bezanson & Spooky
A Vietnam vet with undiagnosed PTSD rambles through life until one day a tiny black kitten literally falls into his lap...and changes him forever.

*Glenn Albertson & Rusty & Dewey
A hardworking man with a life full of twists & turns, and dark corners, finds new love and happiness after Rusty teaches him to let go of his anger and live in the moment, like a cat

And more...

This volume contains inspiring, funny, and heartwarming stories about cats told from the perspective of Dewey's Mom, librarian Myron. Includes never-before-told stories about Dewey, along with other touching cat tales.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions by Vicki Myron was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible