The Twin's Daughter by Lauren…

The Twin's Daughter (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Member:dk_phoenix
Title:The Twin's Daughter
Authors:Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Rating:***

The Twin's Daughter by Lauren Baratz-Logsted (2010)

The Twin's Daughter was as suspenseful and captivating a read as anything I've read in the last few years. Author Lauren Baratz-Logsted keeps the reader breathlessly turning pages to find out what really happened between Helen and her sister - every guess I made was wrong! By the time you start to see the big picture, you're completely hooked!

The pacing of The Twin's Daughter is perfection and the characters (though not terribly likable) were realistically portrayed. Dark and Gothic in feeling, this is an interesting and captivating read that will keep you guessing right up to its extraordinary ending. The Twin's Daughter is a top-notch YA mystery that is full of suspense and intrigue. ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |
this one kept me guessing the whole way. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 11, 2014 |
Who is the victim?

When her mother's identical twin shows up out of nowhere, Lucy Sexton's world is turned upside down. Her aunt takes the place of a sibling she never had as she begins to teach her the ins and outs of society. But just as life begins to feel normal again, tragedy strikes leaving Lucy feeling alone. But who is the victim?

The premise of Lauren Baratz-Logsted's The Twin's Daughter had me very intrigued from the first time I read about it. It's a story that you hear on the news: "Twins reunited after 35 years; story at 11." With all of the technology we have, it's become very easy to find out information on people all around the world. But this story is set in the 1800s. With no internet or telephones, how did Helen ever find Aliese? This is what quickly drew me into the story, the mystery of it all.

Although I haven't been fourteen in roughly ten years, Lucy's character was very relatable. I loved how Baratz-Logsted showed Lucy's character maturing and becoming a woman. Even her relationships with other characters slowly became deeper and more mature as the novel progressed.

If there was any part I did not like, it was that it took me a while to figure out when and where the story was taking place. Many other books I read (at least, those that are set somewhere other than Anytown USA in the present) tell you in the beginning the year and location. London is mentioned in the novel a few times, however I couldn't figure out the time period at all. It may have been something I missed, but I eventually figured it out by looking up when the mention Gilbert and Sullivan opera was active.

This book definitely had me guessing all the way until the end. And it wasn't just guessing about the main mystery. There were many different things for the reader to try and figure out. How did the tunnel come to be? Would Kit return? Who was the red-headed man? Even if a reader did not get lost in Lucy's life, all of the mystery and intrigue that Baratz-Logsted wound through the story would keep them reading until the end.

I give The Twin's Daughter five stars because as soon as I finished it, I was ready to read it all over again. I would recommend this to those that love a good mystery, 19th century London, or historic crime novels. Actually, I'd recommend it to any readers, as it seems there is something in it for everyone. ( )
  greisn1 | Feb 8, 2014 |
I'm giving this 4 stars based soley on the fact that I enjoyed it enough to lose precious sleep and stay up late to finish it. As my hubby will tell you, you don't mess with my sleep so that's saying something. Now, I'm not saying this is a great piece of literary fiction - only that I enjoyed it.

I stayed up late because I really wanted to know what the hell was going on in that house! Through most of the way I thought I knew what was going on and was going to give a lower star rating because it was predictable. Then things started to turn around and I didn't know where it was going.

Not a whodunnit but an enjoyable mystery and historical fiction. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
This book was much better than I was expecting. Lucy's family takes in the destitute, long-lost twin of her mother and introduce her to the socialite life she should have had. Before long, the twin seems to want more than her own station--she wants to take Lucy's mother's place altogether. I thought I had the main twist figured out from the beginning, thinking it was so transparent, but I was dead wrong. The writing could have been stronger, but the mystery itself was enough to keep me reading. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 2, 2013 |

Lucy Sexton is stunned when a disheveled woman appears at the door one day... a woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Lucy's own beautiful mother. It turns out the two women are identical twins, separated at birth, and raised in dramatically different circumstances. Lucy's mother quickly resolves to give her less fortunate sister the kind of life she has never known. And the transformation in Aunt Helen is indeed remarkable. But when Helen begins to imitate her sister in every way, even Lucy isn't sure at times which twin is which. Can Helen really be trusted, or does her sweet face mask a chilling agenda?
Filled with shocking twists and turns, The Twin's Daughter is an engrossing gothic novel of betrayal, jealousy, and treacherous secrets that will keep you guessing to the very end.

In Victorian London, thirteen-year-old Lucy's comfortable world with her loving parents begins slowly to unravel the day that a bedraggled woman who looks exactly like her mother appears at their door.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,307,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible