At the Earth's Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs

At the Earth's Core (1914)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Pellucidar (1)

6171015,790 (3.4)1 / 18

Surprisingly good ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
It's been a while since I read any Edgar Rice Burroughs and I'd forgotten just how good he could be. This is a great book, possibly my favourite ERB book so far. A well written, often amusing and always exciting adventure as David Ennis and Abner Perry drill down into the hollow Earth and discover the amazing world of Pellucidar. Loved this. It reminded me why I set about collecting ERB's books in the first place. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
Published in 1914 the same year as [Tarzan of the Apes] this one is a notch below the first of the Tarzan books.
It starts promisingly enough with our hero David Innes and his older inventor friend Perry strapped into a metallic earth burrowing machine. The steering mechanism becomes jammed as they helplessly feel the heat intensify in their capsule, but just as their air supply runs out after four days travelling and Perry is lying inert in his seat the machine breaks through into another world. They have arrived in a world that lies near the centre of the earth and where humans and humanoids battle prehistoric monsters and each other for survival. It is at this point that any characterisation and plotting goes out the window as Burroughs concentrates on building his world in which our heroes have one adventure after another. If the initial premise seems unlikely then the exploits of David Ennis are real boys own fantasy stuff; amazing coincidences, incredible luck, feats of superhuman courage, strength and ingenuity, follow in breathless succession as our hero falls in lust with a beautiful slave girl and single-mindedly tries to woo, win and save her from peril.

Burroughs makes his fight scenes exciting and exotic and there are some imaginative scenarios, but they are linked together with minimal story telling. The world building has promise, but it is never fleshed out in enough detail to make it believable or even workable. His idea that the world of Pelucidar has no concept of time is just plain daft, but it does allow for Burroughs to abandon his plot development, whenever he wishes to bring about the next amazing coincidence.

David Innes tells the story in the first person and says "please bear in mind that I do not expect you to believe this story" and I suppose we; the readers have been warned. This is pulp fiction, probably no worse than much of the stuff that was and still is being churned out and one imagines that Burroughs hardly stopped to think much about his writing. He had an idea for a story, an idea with which could spin off more tales (there are seven in the series) and he hacked his way to the end. A two star read. ( )
2 vote baswood | Jun 23, 2014 |
Also have as Grosset & Dunlap hc ed. ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |
Burroughs' work was disappointingly simplistic on many levels. Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations based upon my belief that he wrote "science fiction;" this work makes clear he has no understanding of the scientific processes unlike great 19th century authors like H.G. Wells. Perhaps more surprising was Burroughs' inability to develop meaningful characters, story lines or social commentary.

Not much more than an easy reading dime store novel. ( )
  la2bkk | Oct 4, 2012 |

Krenkel, Roy G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawlor, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. John, James AllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first place bear in mind that I do not expect you to believe this story.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441061567, Mass Market Paperback)

The First paperback edition. With the title, Ace began (FINALLY!) to systematically reprint the novels of Burroughs in mass market paperback form. With the fabulous Krenkel cover art, it is a classic among classics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:38 -0400)

David Innes and friends discover a world under the Earth's crust that is populated by strange creatures.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 140010081X, 1400111188

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible