The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine…

The Book of the City of Ladies (1405)

by Christine de Pizan

1,004None8,494 (3.76)23

English (7)  Swedish (1)  All languages (8)
I read this in the 9th grade (and I know what a walkman is, so you can judge for yourself how long ago that was), so I'm pretty sure that (a) I didn't precisely get the maximum value out of the text, and (b) my memories do not do the book justice. I did a project on the role of women in medieval and renaissance times, and had a very hard time convincing my teacher that primary sources from the female perspective basically didn't exist. This is one of the very, very few examples. In the book, de Pizan discusses contemporary stereotypes of her gender and argues against certain negative portrayals. At a time in which women were considered to be ruled by passion, while men were ruled by reason, de Pizan argues strongly that women should also be ruled by reason. She does, however, maintain a dichotomy between the sexes, attributing gentleness, compassion, etc, to women and (if I remember correctly) decisiveness and action to men. She argues that the differences in nature between the genders itself implies an inherent difference in the roles that the gender is designed to take. To me, her argument here is interesting in itself, as she does not appear to address how she herself is in a position typically held by men. She also has a long section in which she expounds upon the female's role as wife and her duty towards her husband. An interesting but not precisely entertaining read. ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
A fifteenth proto-feminist tretise that women's virtue and capacity for learning is equal to men's, largely told through examples from Christian and Classical history. Anybody who is planning to write a work of historical fiction or fantasy in a world similar to Renaissance Europe with feminist heroines would do well to take Christine de Pizan in an example in how to make a character seem believably a product of her time rather than of the twenty-first century. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Apr 14, 2013 |
A medieval statement that women’s virtue and intelligence is equal with men’s, written by a 15th century French noble lady.

Christine dePizan was a young, educated widow when she wrote one of the first documents praising women and declaring their ability to live and even rule wisely. In her account, she is visited in her study by three “Ladies” sent by God to advise her. Reason, Rectitude and Justice who have come to help her build a “City of Ladies” where virtuous women may take refuge. When Christine questions Reason about the awful statements that men make about women, Reason explains that such attacks are misguided and erroneous. Using examples of women from the sometimes mythical past, she affirms that women can be just as virtuous and wise as men. Reason explains that women were created by God as men’s essential equal. Rectitude offers her examples of the ways in which women have aided their husbands. Justice welcomes the Virgin Mary to preside over the completed City.

Read more on my blog: you, me and books

mdbrady | Apr 15, 2012 |
I like Christine de Pizan -- she resonates with me, and strikes me as a woman with a very clear voice and definite confidence. What's really interesting is, she's extremely defiant, but somewhat passive-aggressively so...always apparently demurring and humbling herself, yeah, but at the same time, totally (and freely) re-interpreting basically all of history and literature in favor of all the Ladies out there. I mean, she's talking to these goddesses like Boethius talks to Philosophy. She puts herself right at the center of the stage, for to later enlighten women. I don't know how else to say it: She has guts. And she's really, really bright and well-educated. Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I consider her a role model for young women. ( )
  littleredcow | May 24, 2010 |
Ladies, ladies! Christine de Pizan, in the 15th century, gives courtly advice, and its rather good, up to date, interesting. Her mere existence as a writer is testimony to her courtly skills. ( )
1 vote grheault | Jun 10, 2009 |

Christine de Pizanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, LindaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nordenhök, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richards, Earl JeffreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, MarinaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Following the practice that has become the habit of my life, namely the devoted study of literature, one day as I was sitting in my study, surrounded by books on many different subjects, my  mind grew weary from dwelling at length on the weighty opinions of authors whom I had studied for so long.

Christine de Pizan (c.1364-1430) was France's first professional woman of letters. Her pioneering Book of the City of Ladies begins when, feeling frustrated and miserable after reading a male writer's tirade against women, Christine has a dreamlike vision where three virtues—Reason, Rectitude and Justice—appear to correct this view. They instruct her to build an allegorical city in which womankind can be defended against slander, its walls and towers constructed from examples of female achievement both from her own day and the past: ranging from warriors, inventors and scholars to prophetesses, artists and saints. Christine de Pizan's spirited defence of her sex was unique for its direct confrontation of the misogyny of her day, and offers a telling insight into the position of women in medieval culture. The Book of the City of Ladies provides positive images of women, ranging from warriors and inventors, scholars to prophetesses, and artists to saints. The book also offers a fascinating insight into the debates and controversies about the position of women in medieval culture.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

"Christine de Pizan was born in 1365 in Venice. Her family moved to Paris three years later when her father was appointed court astrologer to King Charles V. Close ties to the royal court and her father's encouragement enabled Christine to obtain a good education, unusual for women of her time. At the age of fifteen, she married a court notary, who also fostered her learning and her literary activities. She was only twenty-five when she was widowed and left without an inheritance. With three children to support, Christine turned to writing to earn her living. From 1390 to 1429, the presumed year of her death, she wrote more than twenty works, nearly all concerned with two themes: the political life of France and the defense of women." "The Book of the City of Ladies is Christine de Pizan's most eloquent expression of her feminist beliefs."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible