The Portrait of a Lady - Collector's Library…

The Portrait of a Lady - Collector's Library (original 1881; edition 2004)

by Henry James (Author)

Info:Barnes & Noble - CRW Publishin (2004), Hardcover, 799 pages
Collections:Your library, Childrens
Rating:*****
Tags:Collectors Library

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James (1881)

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (roby72)
    Howards End by E. M. Forster (carlym)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (carlym)
    Daniel Deronda by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Surprised this recommendation hasn't already been made ... scholars throughout the years have noted Gwendolen Harleth's influence upon James in creating Isabel Archer.
    Portrait of a Novel: Henry James and the making of an American masterpiece by Michael Gorra (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Non-fiction work detailing the story behind the novel's writing.
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Nickelini)
    The Reef by Edith Wharton (noveltea)
    Indian Summer by William Dean Howells (Bjace)
    Bjace: Howells ventures into Henry James territory with this tale of an American expatriate in Florence who is caught between two women. Howells teases the reader by starting to write a Henry James ending and then doing something quite different.

English (82)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  English (87)
Did anyone hear a long contented sigh at about 3:00pm central time on Tuesday afternoon?

That was me finishing Portait of a Lady. I do love me some Henry James. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Read my thoughts here:

Click Me ( )
  AllyWatkins | Aug 31, 2016 |
The 'Portrait' part of the title I understood; the 'Lady' I didn't. Maybe it was my applying 21st century sensibilities to 19th century mores but to me Isabel Osmond nee Archer was the victim of an act of kindness first and a martyr of her own making later. Neither makes one a lady. I read the last few pages with a sigh of resignation. Still, it's masterfully written. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Novela de personajes. Muy actual ( )
  aliolica | Jun 24, 2016 |
Isabel Archer refuses to follow a life that is too prescribed by classical romantic notions. She is determined to find and follow her own path, or remain unsatisfied. This characteristic rules her as a number of suitors make themselves known. The story is primarily about what leads to the choice she makes, and its repercussions. Several other characters are intriguing and their roles each become clear. I had trouble placing the relevancy of Henrietta's story; I believe it clarifies that James' message was not about refusing women the right to make independent choices, but about ensuring illusions are fully dispelled before a choice is made. I really enjoyed this novel for its being chock full of people who make sharp observations, if not always accurate. There is no comedy of misunderstandings here, only analysis that is either lacking or overdone. Henry James knows how to get inside characters' heads and make himself at home, offering strong, natural motives for actions and dialogue that is brilliant both for what is said and what is not. The ending is very satisfying and comes together beautifully. I'm open to reading more of James' novels, but I suspect this will remain my favourite. ( )
  Cecrow | Jun 13, 2016 |

Moore, GeoffreyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neilson, William AllanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toibin, ColmAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Updike, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.
Her reputation of reading a great deal hung about her like the cloudy envelope of a goddess in an epic.
It may be affirmed without delay that Isabel was probably very liable to the sin of self-esteem....
You are rich when you can meet the demands of your imagination.

When Isabel Archer, a beautiful, spirited American, is brought to Europe by her wealthy Aunt Touchett, it is expected that she will soon marry. But Isabel, resolved to determine her own fate, does not hesitate to turn down two eligible suitors. She then finds herself irresistibly drawn to Gilbert Osmond, who, beneath his veneer of charm and cultivation, is cruelty itself. A story of intense poignancy, Isabel's tale of love and betrayal still resonates with modern audiences.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Tells of the psychological impact of European culture upon a spirited young American girl named Isabel Archer when she becomes torn between three very different men and falls prey to the schemes of a sophisticated older woman.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441267, 0141199121

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,718,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible