Dream of Night by Heather Henson

Dream of Night

by Heather Henson

A rescued abused former race horse and a troubled foster child form a mutually healing bond. A story that animal lovers will find irresistable. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Dream of Night was a thoroughbred horse with memories of his racing days in his head. He hates man because all man has done to him has been neglect him, starve him, and beat him with the chains.

Shiloh has been bounced from one foster family to another. She's at her last stop before the locked doors of the reformatory.

Jessalynn lives simply, rescuing horses and living on her old farm. She has taken in foster children in the past, but she's getting too old and has agreed to take just this one last case.

When Shiloh arrives, Jessalynn knows that there are secrets and horrors in the child's past and she will need to take it slow. Shiloh is full of anger and does everything she can to get Jessalynn to react. But nothing Shiloh does seems to get a rise out of the old woman.

Jessalynn hopes that by going slowly, she can draw Shiloh out. But it turns out that the wild black horse in the field is what finally gets to Shiloh. Dream of Night doesn't attack when Shiloh ventures to his fence. And, slowly, the two of them form a bond, learning to trust again.

What a wonderful novel! Told in alternating voices with Jessalynn, Shiloh, and Dream, the reader experiences what each of the characters are encountering. I loved getting to look inside Dream's thoughts; I could imagine the horse thinking exactly those things. Shiloh is portrayed as any troubled teenager would be...cautious, caustic, and distrusting. But it's Jessalynn's simple, relaxed manner that brings the entire story together. ( )
  GeniusJen | Dec 11, 2010 |
Let me start by saying this was a wonderful book. It reminded me of two other books I love, "A Child Called It" and Pictures of Hollis Woods." In this book we have Shiloh, an abused child who has been sent from foster home to another and has built a tough shell around herself. The we have Dream of Night a former race horse who has also been passed from one owner to another where he was abused and neglected. Enter, Jess DiLima. She has experience working with both abused and neglected animals and children. She is ready to throw in the towel when Dream of Night and Shiloh both end up at her farm. With love, patience and time maybe the walls built for protection will come down and love and trust can begin to grow. This book was borrowed from my local library but is one I will be adding to my classroom shelves and recommending to our school's media specialist. ( )
  skstiles612 | Oct 31, 2010 |
Jess is feeling old, but that doesn't stop her from rescuing another abused horse, or taking in a foster child. Night and Shiloh are both angry and scared, and it isn't clear whether Jess will be able to help either of them. Told in turn from the points of view of the three main characters.
  EthicalCultureLib | Oct 26, 2010 |
Loved this book! A real good read very true to life.
  jeanetteurdahl | Jun 14, 2010 |

Told from their different points of view, twelve-year-old Shiloh, a troubled foster child, Dream of Night, an abused former racehorse, and Jess, a woman who cares for both, find healing by helping one another through their pain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,350,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible