The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of…

by Niki Segnit

Member:LibraryGoddesses
Title:The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
Authors:Niki Segnit
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:cooking cookery herbs spices flavors

The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook by Niki Segnit

English (10)  German (1)  All languages (11)
I love this book. It is part cookbook, part food history, part a glimpse into the head of the author. I had it checked out (from my library) but by page 25 I knew I needed to own it. If you like food read this book!

I say I have finished this book because I have read every page but I think It will be awhile before I am ready to put it on the cookbook shelf. In a spare moment I pick it up and look through it or wonder if this flavor and that will go together and I check this book. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Excellent source of ideas and inspiration. If you have one or two ingredients but no inspiration about what to do with them, you will probably find something here.
Probably most useful if you already have a pretty good idea about basic cooking techniques, but I think beginning cooks can use it too. ( )
  wester | Apr 12, 2014 |
A very well written, innovative and extremely useful book. Very highly recommended for anyone who's interested in food. ( )
  iamamro | Feb 9, 2014 |
A very useful reference, particularly for inspiring fresh combinations. Something like carrots and cumin is widely recognised but strawberry and tomato? That was a revelation! ( )
  wulf | Sep 29, 2012 |
I cannot even begin to express my passion for this book. I saw it a friend's house and was instantly overcome with covetousness. I got a copy for myself ASAP and read it straight through, like a novel. In fact, I was sorrier when this book ended than most of the new novels I'd read in the past five years. Many of the entries are like flash fiction, stories in miniature. Plus the sheer brilliant, arbitrary concept behind it. Why those flavors and not others? They reflect a British-with-global-outlook point of view. And why not? The wheel reminded me of premodern attempts to organize the world that look quaint to us now. Actually, this book gave me new respect for those ancient ways of organizing information--humans do work in intuitive ways that do not follow the strict lines of science. I was immensely gratified to find flavor combinations that I had already discovered though, on some level, thought I was odd for liking so much (e.g. carrot + juniper), and then found other combinations that I'd never thought of before that turned out to be sensational (asparagus + truffle, blackcurrant + almond, rhubarb + lamb, Sauternes + roquefort). One word of caution: I've found the proportions in the cake recipes to be unreliable. I'd suggest using the flavor combination but making a cake according to a recipe you already use. ( )
1 vote SarahEHWilson | Jul 15, 2012 |
Even if you know your 4,851 flavour pairings backwards to the point of ennui, or, conversely, have no intention whatsoever of cooking anything in your life, this is still a book that can be read for pleasure alone. It is as if she has made up her mind to do with her prose what her book invites us to do: to make combinations which both surprise and work.

"...lamb and apricots are one of those combinations which exist together in a relation that is not just complementary but that seems to partake of a higher order of inevitability - a taste which exists in the mind of God. These combinations have the quality of a logical discovery: bacon and eggs, rice and soy sauce, Sauternes and foie gras, white truffles and pasta, steak-frites, strawberries and cream, lamb and garlic, Armagnac and prunes, port and Stilton, fish soup and rouille, chicken and mushrooms; to the committed explorer of the senses, the first experience of any of them will have an impact comparable with an astronomer's discovery of a new planet." - John Lancaster, The Debt to Pleasure
It seems fitting to dedicate this book to a pair: my cooking advisor and mother, Marian Stevens, and my writing advisor and husband, Nat Segnit.

Ever wondered why one flavour works with another? Or lacked inspiration for what to do with a bundle of beetroot? The Flavour Thesaurus is the first book to examine what goes with what, pair by pair. The book is divided into flavour themes including Meaty, Cheesy, Woodland and Floral Fruity. Within these sections it follows the form of Roget's Thesaurus, listing 99 popular ingredients alphabetically, and for each one suggesting flavour matchings that range from the classic to the bizarre. You can expect to find traditional pairings such as pork & apple, lamb & apricot, and cucumber & dill; contemporary favourites like chocolate & chilli, and goat's cheese & beetroot; and interesting but unlikely-sounding couples including black pudding & chocolate, lemon & beef, blueberry & mushroom, and watermelon & oyster. There are nearly a thousand entries in all, with 200 recipes and suggestions embedded in the text. Beautifully packaged, The Flavour Thesaurus is not only a highly useful, and covetable, reference book for cooking - it might keep you up at night reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

In this lively cookbook, Niki Segnit takes 160 popular ingredients and explores all the ways they might be combined in the kitchen. Including quirky observations and practical information, 'The Flavour Thesaurus' also includes hundreds of recipes for truly original culinary offerings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,417,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible