The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of…

by Niki Segnit

Member:LibraryGoddesses
Title:The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
Authors:Niki Segnit
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2010), Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:cooking cookery herbs spices flavors

The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook by Niki Segnit

The Spirits by Richard Godwin (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Similar approach and style, one for food and one for drink.

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
This is so much better than it should be. I thought it would be like a dictionary, a reference book, but it is an absolutely delightful read. As well as lots of information & suggestions, it is scattered with simple recipes, anecdotes & opinion. I loved it and will dip back in regularly. ( )
  awomanonabike | Feb 3, 2016 |
I love this book. It is part cookbook, part food history, part a glimpse into the head of the author. I had it checked out (from my library) but by page 25 I knew I needed to own it. If you like food read this book!

I say I have finished this book because I have read every page but I think It will be awhile before I am ready to put it on the cookbook shelf. In a spare moment I pick it up and look through it or wonder if this flavor and that will go together and I check this book. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Excellent source of ideas and inspiration. If you have one or two ingredients but no inspiration about what to do with them, you will probably find something here.
Probably most useful if you already have a pretty good idea about basic cooking techniques, but I think beginning cooks can use it too. ( )
  wester | Apr 12, 2014 |
A very well written, innovative and extremely useful book. Very highly recommended for anyone who's interested in food. ( )
  iamamro | Feb 9, 2014 |
A very useful reference, particularly for inspiring fresh combinations. Something like carrots and cumin is widely recognised but strawberry and tomato? That was a revelation! ( )
  wulf | Sep 29, 2012 |
Even if you know your 4,851 flavour pairings backwards to the point of ennui, or, conversely, have no intention whatsoever of cooking anything in your life, this is still a book that can be read for pleasure alone. It is as if she has made up her mind to do with her prose what her book invites us to do: to make combinations which both surprise and work.

"...lamb and apricots are one of those combinations which exist together in a relation that is not just complementary but that seems to partake of a higher order of inevitability - a taste which exists in the mind of God. These combinations have the quality of a logical discovery: bacon and eggs, rice and soy sauce, Sauternes and foie gras, white truffles and pasta, steak-frites, strawberries and cream, lamb and garlic, Armagnac and prunes, port and Stilton, fish soup and rouille, chicken and mushrooms; to the committed explorer of the senses, the first experience of any of them will have an impact comparable with an astronomer's discovery of a new planet." - John Lancaster, The Debt to Pleasure
It seems fitting to dedicate this book to a pair: my cooking advisor and mother, Marian Stevens, and my writing advisor and husband, Nat Segnit.

Ever wondered why one flavour works with another? Or lacked inspiration for what to do with a bundle of beetroot? The Flavour Thesaurus is the first book to examine what goes with what, pair by pair. The book is divided into flavour themes including Meaty, Cheesy, Woodland and Floral Fruity. Within these sections it follows the form of Roget's Thesaurus, listing 99 popular ingredients alphabetically, and for each one suggesting flavour matchings that range from the classic to the bizarre. You can expect to find traditional pairings such as pork & apple, lamb & apricot, and cucumber & dill; contemporary favourites like chocolate & chilli, and goat's cheese & beetroot; and interesting but unlikely-sounding couples including black pudding & chocolate, lemon & beef, blueberry & mushroom, and watermelon & oyster. There are nearly a thousand entries in all, with 200 recipes and suggestions embedded in the text. Beautifully packaged, The Flavour Thesaurus is not only a highly useful, and covetable, reference book for cooking - it might keep you up at night reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:44 -0400)

In this lively cookbook, Niki Segnit takes 160 popular ingredients and explores all the ways they might be combined in the kitchen. Including quirky observations and practical information, 'The Flavour Thesaurus' also includes hundreds of recipes for truly original culinary offerings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,237,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible