The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of…

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer (2010)

by Siddhartha Mukherjee

2,3381202,692 (4.31)1 / 213
Recently added byINorris, GShuk, speljamr, private library, lundblad, tenthrune, crazeedi73

English (116)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (119)
I found this book to be interesting. Although there has been progress in the war against cancer it seems that cancer's ability to mutate will mean the war will be ongoing. We should all be thankful to those stricken by cancer and have fought to survive the disease. It is through their success and failure to survive various treatments that advances in treatment have occurred. This is a tough topic to read about but the author does a great job of making the science of the disease understandable. The historical aspect of the disease is interesting too. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
An extremely well written book. Such a thorough and well researched work on Cancer that you will feel like an amateur oncologist yourself, wow a crowd and be able to say things like I am not a trained Oncologist but I have read "Emperor of Maladies".

Some excerpts that I would like to quote,

"It remains an astonishing, disturbing fact that in America - a nation where every nearly every new drug is subjected to rigorous scrutiny as a potential carcinogen, and even the bare hint of a substance's link to cancer ignites a firestorm of public hysteria and media anxiety - on of the most potent and common carcinogens (cigarettes) known to humans can be freely bought and sold at every corner store for a few dollars."

"Indeed, as the fraction of those affected by cancer creeps inexorably in some nations from one in four to one in three to one in two, cancer will, indeed, be the new normal - an inevitability."

What begs the question is, why is the incidence of this disease increasing every year, is it to do with the food we consume and the rush to increase food production to feed an ever increasing global population leading to the introduction of carcinogens in the form of harmful pesticides into the food chain.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
Interesting look at the history of cancer. I actually learned that I had a virus that leaves me more susceptible to stomach cancer but less likely to develop esophageal cancer. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is a worthwhile read. It is both scary and informative, valuable and heartbreaking. I took it out of the library when I first read it and had to renew it because I had yet to finish. I finally just went ahead and bought my own copy and read it while in transit. I don't want to give anything away, but if you have cancer, are a survivor or just someone that wants to know more about it, I highly recommend you read this one.
This is not fiction, but the pages turn, as if it was one.
Overall, everyone out there has to read this book. ( )
  SJFrancis | Jan 19, 2016 |
It's time to welcome a new star in the constellation of great doctor-writers. With this fat, enthralling, juicy, scholarly, wonderfully written history of cancer, Siddhartha Mukherjee - a cancer physician and researcher at Columbia University - vaults into that exalted company ...

Illness is the night-side of life, a more onerous citizenship. Everyone who is born holds dual citizenship, in the kingdom of the well and the kingdom of the sick. Although we all prefer to use only the good passport, sooner or later each of us is obliged, at least for a spell. to identify ourselves as citizens of that other place. --Susan Sontag
To Robert Sandler (1945-1948), and to those who came before and after him.
(Prologue) On the morning of May 19, 2004, Carla Reed, a thirty-year-old kindergarten teacher from Ipswich, Massachusets, a mother of three young children, woke up in bed with a headache.
In a damp fourteen-by-twenty-foot laboratory in Boston on a December morning in 1947, a man named Sidney Farber waited impatiently for the arrival of a parcel from New York.
In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backwards. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a very easy one, but people do not practice it much.- Sherlock Holmes, in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet
Physicians of the utmost fame Were called at once; but when they came They answered, as they took their Fees, "There is no Cure for this Disease." - Hilaire Belloc
Its palliation is a daily task, its cure a fervent hope. - William Castle, describing leukemia in 1950

A magnificently written "biography" of cancer--from its origins to the epic battle to cure, control, and conquer it.

1147 wanted6 pay6 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible