Rescue by Anita Shreve

Rescue

by Anita Shreve

One Day by David Nicholls (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Though the settings and storylines are different the underlying theme, joys and sorrows of relationships, are similar.

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All (56)
I wanted to like this book more but it was just depressing and never went anywhere. ( )
  TammyLeeBradley | Oct 6, 2017 |
Anita Shreve, a well known author who wrote "A Pilots Wife," has done it again with her book "Rescue." Did you ever dream your life out completely, right down to land you where going to buy in your own town? Did your dreams ever spiral out of control and you had to be the strong one? Webster, a young paramedic, had his life all figured out and was saving for the best piece of land in town. He wanted to buy it and build his own home someday, until the fire alarm went off and his life changed forever. Webster and his partner pulled the rig up to a car accident and a young woman was inside the totaled car. Webster rushed her to the ER, but later wonders how the young woman is doing. He walks into her hospital room and falls in love. When she is released from the hospital she has no where to go, so Webster takes her home. Webster and Sheila fall in love get married and have a baby girl all in nine months. Its all happening so fast, does Webster really know Sheila? Can Sheila handle motherhood? She begins drinking, and her child, Rowan, is just a baby. Sheila drives all over drunk with Rowan in the car. Will Websters life ever be the same again now that alcohol has entered?

Debbie F. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Anita Shreve is a wonderful writer but this was a difficult story to listen to! She kept me entranced and wanting to know the ending. I loved the suspense and the lingo and other information by Paramedic in a Rescue vehicle were interesting and educational. I liked the main character's parents but wished that they had talks with their son about goals in life and what to look for in a spouse. At least before their son Webster got involved with a woman who was out for herself only.

Webster seemed to fall into situations and not care on twit about the consequences. That is what I did not like about him. So he was definitely flawed and you knew that he was going to fall for the beautiful woman that he had to rescue from a car accident. She had been driving drunk and we find out that she often is a liar.

His wife, Sheila tries to be sober but it doesn't last long and she gets into a terrible accident, their toddler could have been killed along with many others. Webster sends her away and raises his daughter the best he could but she changed when she became a teenager. She started drinking and Webster seeks help from his many years estranged wife.

I would not skip this one if you are an Anita Shreve fan, it does offer a lot of food for thought but the ending was hard to swallow. ( )
  Carolee888 | Apr 11, 2017 |
This is the first book by Shreve I've read in a few years, after being disappointed by a book or two. This one had the story-telling and writing I like and expect from her, and the complex relationships that happen in families. It also gave a good picture of life as an EMT. From reading the cover flap, I knew that a mother who'd abandoned her child and husband would come back, but just how that abandonment occurred, and what caused the contact after 15 years, was much more dramatic than I'd anticipated. I think this has gotten me over my Anita Shreve avoidance. ( )
  bookczuk | May 20, 2016 |
Normally I don't read Anita Shreve. I have read 2 books by her and find it hard to get into most of hers, however anything about tragedy are usually up my alley. This one fell FLAT!!! No emotion, no character development no nothing. The main character is named Webster. That's his last name, no mention of his first name. This book should be filled with emotions both good and bad. Once I found a scene to match the emotion. It was almost as if she wrote this book to meet a deadline. I would have liked more depth. I couldn't even picture them in my head. There was also too much in the way for ambulance speak, and no glossary of terms, it is not one that I would recommend to anyone! ( )
  Lisa_Boys | Feb 8, 2016 |
for Jennifer Rudolph Walsh with love and tremendous gratitude
Webster jogs down the narrow stairs in stocking feet and says, "French toast," as he rounds the corner.

A rookie paramedic pulls a young woman alive from her totaled car, a first rescue that begins a lifelong tangle of love and wreckage. Sheila Arsenault is a gorgeous enigma, streetwise and tough-talking, with haunted eyes, fierce desires, and a never-look-back determination. Peter Webster, as straight an arrow as they come, falls for her instantly and entirely. Soon Sheila and Peter are embroiled in an intense love affair, married, and parents to a baby daughter. Like the crash that brought them together, it all happened so fast.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,646,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible