dismiss

The Interrogation

by J. M. G. Le Clezio

From the original Atheneum edition jacket, 1964."J.M.G. Le Clézio, revelation of the literary year" ran the headline of theParis Expressafter last year's prizes had been awarded. The Goncourt jury was locked five to five until its president used his double vote to give the prize to the older candidate. Ten minutes later the Renaudot jury elected the candidate they thought they might lose to the other prize. Most of the literary sections ran their prize news putting the Renaudot first, in order to feature the twenty-three-year-old discovery that was rocking Paris literary circles.What isThe Interrogation? Most likely a myth without distinct delineations. A very solitary young man, Adam Pollo, perhaps the first man, perhaps the last, has a very remarkable interior adventure. He concentrates and he discovers ways of being, ways of seeing. He enters into animals, into a tree.... He has no business, no distractions; he is at the complete disposal of life. All of life, that is, except the society of his own species -- and so the story ends."This is the next phase after the 'the new novel,'" wrote the critics. Kafka they said; a direct descendant of Joyce, they said. Beckett they said. Like nothing else, they said. One hundred thousand Frenchmen bought it. They said it was strange and beautiful. Finally the real voice of the young, said the critics. "I like J. D. Salinger," said Mr. Le Clézio, and that was all he said. His remarkable first book will soon be published all over the world and much more will be said.… (more)
Recently added byWouterJ, oliverio33, coffee.a.go.go, private library, thatguyzero, Emeryn.Mader, Vincenzop., franknotes
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
I found it too hard to understand any of what was going on here. Presumably that's my problem more than Le Clezio's, since he did win the Nobel Prize for Literature. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
58. The interrogation by J.M.G. Le Clézio (1963, 245 page trade paperback, read Aug 19-25)
translated from French in 1964 by Daphne Woodward
Rating: 4 stars

Adam Pollo has hidden himself away in an empty house above the beach, right in his own hometown. There he sits in the sun all day, or does various rather odd and nonproductive activities. There is an insanity about him, but there is also a quest for a sort of full complete consciousness, a sense of being one with everything...well, maybe. It has a logic to it. It's a bit tough to read, as, although it's told in 3rd person, the text gets very intimate with Adam's wandering and confused thoughts and activities.

This is Le Clezio's first novel, published when he was still in his early 20's (He was born in 1940). It's quite different from the other books I've read by him. It has that same wandering yet finessed prose, but here that writing style is applied to Adam's wandering state of mind, giving it both a claustrophobic and disorienting feel.

So, after saying all that, you might wonder why I liked it. It has it's appeal. But, if you want to try Le Clezio, don't start here. ( )
1 vote dchaikin | Aug 26, 2015 |
His first book. won Renaudot prize, Stream of consciousness, Nobelist 2008 ( )
  almigwin | Feb 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book. Got enough motivation to read another book from J.M.G Le Clezio ( )
  MarzRen | Jul 7, 2012 |
4931. The Interrogation, by J.M.G. Le Clezio translated from the French by Daphne Woodward (read 7 Jun 2012) Since the author won the Nobel Prize I thought I should read something by him. Apparently this is a novel devoted to absurdity. I don't deprecate guys like Ionescu, whose stuff is in a way appealing. But I could find nothing appealing in this account of a weirdo who messed up a house he had no right to be in, and did all sorts of stupid inane things. I was glad to get to the last page. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 7, 2012 |

J. M. G. Le Clezioprimary authorall editionscalculated
光一, 豊崎Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beunis, KarelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, Th.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cornips, ThérèseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodward, DaphneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Poll, as if he had been my favorite, was the only person permitted to talk to me." Robinson Crusoe
Ik koester heimelijk twee ambities.
I have two secret ambitions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,126,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible