Abhorsen by Garth Nix

Abhorsen (2003)

by Garth Nix

Series: Old Kingdom / Abhorsen (3)

5,2091081,245 (4.22)210
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Anonymous user)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Morteana)
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (MinaKelly)
    MinaKelly: Suitable for the older end of YA, who like a solid adventure story and can handle some adult themes.

English (106)  Danish (1)  All languages (107)
Very YA. Good YA! But … too YA for me atm for a five star rating. Much better YA than most things I know, though. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
in the third book of the trilogy, Abhorsen, Lirael finally gets out more, and is not the Abhorsen, but rather the Abhorsen in Waiting, which made me wonder if the trilogy had become too popular to leave alone, or at least wrap up definitively. the dog's still there, and hey there's a prince ... he's having a real hard time with this coming of age stuff... and guess what? he's got a cat. hey, innovation.

then about a hundred pages from the end of the trilogy, things get a little more interesting. it's looking like the evil artifact thing is actually a thing of science, and maybe the world had been destroyed before in a nuclear disaster this was the remains of. not a whole lot comes of it. the childhood friend of the Prince gets less avoidy and more heroic, the dog and the cat turn out to be somebodies, possibly on the usual quest for redemption, people and non-people die, and often come back, and in the ending it looks like the whole sequence starts over again. ::eep::

the most interesting character is the cat. no, really. ( )
  macha | Aug 3, 2018 |
This was soooooo good! I don't think I can really review it - I'm still so overwhelmed with the beautiful, tragic, perfect ending to this outstanding trilogy. I knew I'd enjoy it - I didn't expect to be this blown away. Go, right now, and read/listen to this! I've already returned my copy to the library :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I LOVED Lirael when I read it; Abhorsen is only the continuation of my love of this author's work and the series is spectacular. I particularly enjoyed the nod to librarians in Lirael, and that the Clayr continued their appearance in this novel is fantastic.

I love Dog. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 14, 2018 |
What a great conclusion to this part of the story! I'm thrilled to know there is a prequel out there I can read and a new release coming soon (or just recently released). I loved seeing characters from the first book and many of the newer characters from book two appear, but as always I have my favorites in the Disreputable Dog and Mogget. Another great adventure, many close calls, last minute saves, tears and losses, and pleasant surprises. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna and Thomas Henry Nix.
Fog rose from the river, great billows of white weaving into the soot and smoke of the city of Corvere, to become the hybrid thing that the more popular newspapers called smog and The Times "miasmic fog".

Lirael and Sam
race to stop the Destroyer
becoming unbound.
(passion4reading)

The Abhorsen Sabriel and King Touchstone are missing, leaving only Lirael—newly come into her inheritance as the Abhorsen-in-Waiting—to stop the Destroyer. If Orannis's unspeakable powers are unleashed, it will mean the end of all Life. With only a vision from the Clayr to guide her and the help of her companions, Sam, the Disreputable Dog, and Mogget, Lirael must search in both Life and Death for some means to defeat the evil destructor—before it is too late. . . .

The apocalyptic conclusion to the series of events that began with Sabriel and continued in Lirael, the New York Times bestselling Abhorsen is an electrifying reading experience not to be missed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:19 -0400)

Abhorsen-In-Waiting Lirael and Prince Sameth, a Wallmaker, must confront and bind the evil spirit Oranis before it can destroy all life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,931,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible