Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Calling on Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Calling on Dragons (1993)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (3)

2,456313,801 (4.06)1 / 60

English (30)  German (1)  All languages (31)
The wizards are up to no good again, and this time it starts with a seven-foot-tall rabbit named Killer who ran afoul of the residual effects of a spell. The wizards have stolen Mendanbar’s sword, and Cimorene, Morwen, Kazul, and Telemain set out on a quest to recover it — along with a couple of Morwen’s cats and Killer, who seems to have an absolute genius for getting into magical mishaps.

There’s so much to love here. The interactions between characters are fantastic, the humor is delightful, and the plot moves briskly on through various twists and turns. This is my favorite book of the series, even though it does end in a whopping big cliffhanger. Read it, but have the sequel at hand. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 16, 2019 |
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles were getting along just fine, an initial novel, Talking to Dragons, was followed up with a prequel trilogy so Wrede could expand on her world and its sensible fairy tale logic - the absence of which used to define children's fantasy stories.

In this, the last book written in the series, we get a Jar-Jar Binks and I just can't bear it. Our Jar-Jar is called Killer. Killer is a rabbit who by accident and increasingly stupid decisions gets entangled in such deep magic that Cimorene, Morwen, Kazul, and Telemain have to take him along on their mission so they can fix him. The book should be concerned with stopping the Wizards from destroying the Enchanted Forest with their greed for magic but we instead keep hearing from our hilarious new friend. Good witch and cat lady Morwen has a strong presence here, which is nice, but the commentary from the cats doesn't always add to the action. Wrede has some ideas and cool magic, but because of Killer the novel is a slog.

Oh, and it ends in a cliffhanger. Hope you have the next one on hand.

Previous: Searching for Dragons

Next: Talking to Dragons ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This series is forever destined to be slightly incomplete on my GoodReads shelves because there's no way I can remember just how many times I reread it as a child. Of all the books in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, it is this and [book: Dealing with Dragons|150739] that I had the clearest memories of. It amuses me a bit that Brandel, the fire mage, I recalled so clearly as being my favorite character in this book apart from Morwen... he's barely in the book at all. What exactly was I thinking?

Following [book: Searching for Dragons|169875] tradition of following a character other than Cimorene, this book focuses upon the wonderful witch Morwen and her cats. The wizards are up to no good again, only this time they're far more organized. When the Enchanted Forest is once more beginning to be peppered with dead patches, and Mandanbar finds his sword stolen, Morwen, a pregnant Cimorene, Kazul, and an unfortunately magically changed six foot something rabbit, go to confront the wizards and find out what's up. The book is funny, fast-paced, and just about as full of laughs as the others. Only this time [author: Patricia C. Wrede|36122] seems far more self-assured, and ends the book on a somewhat maddening cliff-hanger wherein very few of the characters are truly satisfied at all.

If you get this book for your kid - make sure you have the next one ready for when they finish.

I loved this book just as much as I have the rest of the series. It's funny, clever, and Cimorene is as wonderful as she always is. Morwen is a particularly inspirational character for me, if only because of her practical nature and ability to compose herself so incredibly well at the first sign of distress. There's a lot to be said about patience while reading this book, and how much it may be tested upon reaching the ending. I can remember how quickly I devoured the final book after, as well as the much beloved [book: Book of Enchantments] after that. I'm going to be sad when I'm done rereading them, I think, but at least now I know some young girls I can buy this series for as soon as they're old enough for it! ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Not as good as the first two but still enjoyable. it's to be interesting reading the fourth one given how this one ended. ( )
  BefuddledPanda | Dec 4, 2017 |

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 274
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Morwen the Witch, and her 9 cats, are trying to help out Cimorene and the King of the Enchanted Forest. Wizards have stolen his magic sword which makes the Enchanted Forest vulnerable. So Morwen, Cimorene, the magician, Kazul the King of the Dragons and an enchanted bunny that eventually turns into a flying, blue, ghost donkey [seriously!] all set out to recover the sword.

They are successful but upon their return to the Enchanted Forest they find that the King and his castle have been put inside a super powerful shield spell by the wizards and only the magic sword can cut through it. Unfortunately, only a direct heir to the king can wield the sword. Cimorene is pregnant, so all they have to do is wait for the kid to be born and grow up enough to use the sword.

No problemo!

My Thoughts:

This was fun. Just like the other books, it is definitely middle grade, but it is well written that even a young virile man like myself can enjoy it.

I liked this better than the previous book and I suspect that is because Wrede writes from a female main character perspective. Killer the rabbit, who through an ongoing reaction to various magics, ends up as a blue, flying, ghost donkey, alternated between an annoying prat and an extremely funny foil. I think he would have been funnier if he hadn't had so many lines.

The cats were great little snippets of personality here and there. They exuded “catness” in everything they said and did. I'm guessing Wrede owns cats.

My only grouse comes from a more adult perspetive. Those pesky wizards. Instead of just melting them, and having them reform after a couple of days, why not let the dragons eat them wholesale OR have Mendenbarr [the king of the Enchanted Forest] hunt them down with his magic sword, assassin style.

She could even have him be on the cover of another book as this dark broody guy in a hooded cape with lots of glitter. You know, the kind of cover that seems to be on most of the YA crap out there these days. Or he could be this huge buff guy with no shirt and long hair kissing some buxom lass with half her clothes gone. I would title that one: “Mendenbarr: King Of Love” with a byline, “he KNOWS how to use that sword”. Surprisingly, Wrede never even ASKED for my input in any form for these potential spinoff novels. I would have totally split the royalties with her. But hey, not everyone recognizes genius when they see it.

In closing, a good light read that I have NO regrets about re-reading.

★★★★☆ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Jul 4, 2017 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hartman, DaliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paarma, Susanna(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puda, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seve, Peter deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my nieces and nephews,
with love and the hope
that they will grow up reading
Deep in the Enchanted Forest, in a neat grey house with a with a wide porch and a red roof, lived the witch Morwen and her nine cats.

Second Edition (?), Signed by Author, Like New

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152046925, Paperback)

Those wicked wizards are back--and they've become very smart. (Sort of.) They intend to take over the Enchanted Forest once and for all . . . unless Cimorene finds a way to stop them. And some people think being queen is easy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

Now the wife of King Mendanbar and queen of the Enchanted Forest, Cimorene turns to Morwen, Telemain, and Kazul for help when troublesome wizards begin once again to invade the forest and soak up its special magic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,506,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible