Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Daddy-Long-Legs (1912)

by Jean Webster

Series: Daddy Long Legs (1)

1,794None3,885 (4.15)181
    Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: The sequel to Daddy Long Legs, featuring Sally's adventures at an orphan asylum
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both are classic stories about unusual young women who enjoy writing.
    Carney's House Party: A Deep Valley Book (Betsy-Tacy) by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Partially set at Vassar. Also a story about college friendships.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (Hollerama)
    When Patty Went to College by Jean Webster (Bjace, Hollerama)
    Bjace: Patty is a fun but less responsible version of Judy Abbott. Both of these are college stories probably set at Vassar.

English (51)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
I really liked this book when we read it in my Vintage Book Circle reading group. We read books that we remember from our childhood. I remembered this as a favorite when I was growing up.

Delightful, clever, witty, wonderful turn of phrase. Surprise ending. Second reading shows it held up well. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is a favourite kids book that I alway enjoy reading.

The book is written in the style of letters, which I actually find quite annong. The sequel to the book (Dear Enemy) is written the same way.

However I find the plot sweet, and the books quick to read. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
This is a fantastic and witty little book. Another reviewer here wrote that only women should read it. Well, I'm a man and I enjoyed it tremendously. Maybe it was written for young adults in the first place, but I believe that anybody, man or woman, of any age, will - and should - enjoy this 100 years old pearl of literature. Five stars, there can be no doubt about it. ( )
  ReneH | Sep 26, 2013 |
I was expecting to find Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster a light-hearted, sentimental read that would barely hold my interest. Well, yes, it is both light-hearted and sentimental but I also found an element of creepiness in the relationship that Daddy and Judy had. Starting out as a benefactor to an orphan by paying for her to go to college, his lurking in the background, pulling the strings and almost shaping this young girl into his future wife was rather disturbing. However, now that I have voiced my concern, I do have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Daddy-Long-Legs is presented in a letter format as Judy is instructed to write to her benefactor and keep him up to date on her life. She calls him Daddy-Long-Legs as she only ever saw a quick glance at him from behind and remembered him mostly for the length of the shadow he cast. She dutifully writes him, and here lies the charm of this book. Her letters are fun, breezy informative chat-fests. She is an open book and tells all, establishing a relationship with this shadow figure who continues to hide his identity.

Over the course of the book we discover that Judy isn’t the meek and mild orphan that she appears to be, she has backbone and an inner strength and when she wants to she knows how to stand up for herself. By the book’s end, it is clear that Judy will have a wonderful life with her Daddy-Long-Legs, and in a romantic tale such as this, this is the happy ending that was hoped for. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jul 9, 2013 |
I loved it, very entertaining. A reread for sure. ( )
  Sunflower38 | Apr 11, 2013 |

Mac Neill, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munsching, Annie vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, H.R.S. van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To You
The first Wednesday in every month was a Perfectly Awful Day--a day to be awaited with dread, endured with courage and forgotten with haste.
This entry is for the book Daddy-Long-Legs, first published in 1912. Please do not combine with the 1919 Mary Pickford film, the 1931 Janet Gaynor/Warner Baxter film, or the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron film.

All sorts of things begin to happen when an orphaned boarding school student finally meets the wealthy guardian with whom she has corresponded for years sight unseen.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible