Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Daddy-Long-Legs (1912)

by Jean Webster

Series: Daddy-Long-Legs (1)

Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: The sequel to Daddy Long Legs, featuring Sally's adventures at an orphan asylum
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both are classic stories about unusual young women who enjoy writing.
    Carney's House Party: A Deep Valley Story by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Partially set at Vassar. Also a story about college friendships.
    When Patty Went to College by Jean Webster (Bjace, HollyMS)
    Bjace: Patty is a fun but less responsible version of Judy Abbott. Both of these are college stories probably set at Vassar.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (HollyMS)
    Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher (charl08)
    charl08: Similar epistolary format, although with very different results!

English (84)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
The first time I read it I must have been 10 or 11, and the only thing I remembered (apart from... you know) was that I didn't enjoy it much. I thought it was boring.

15 years later I've just finished reading it again. I LOVED IT. Jean Webster's writing style is lovely, funny and entertaining, and I've saved a bunch of quotes.

The fact that I found it much more relatable now makes it obvious why I hadn't liked it the first time. I wonder why, at least in my country, it's marketed as a children's book. I think it fits better the teen/YA category. ( )
  Jimena15 | May 19, 2019 |
In my memory, it was 5 stars, but as I reread it, recognizing every phrase, I realized there were some underlying assumptions that made me uneasy, in particular the dismissal of faith, or religion, as a frame for life. It is a little schmalzy on the American Dream: orphan girl makes good through hard work and independence and is carried away by Prince Charming. It was my first romance novel - although I didn't recognize that until just now, and I am divided about whether to give it to the granddaughters or not. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Väldigt trevlig bok. Har läst den en gång tidigare, tror jag läste den på svenska den gången. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
One of my Dreamwidth friends recently mentioned "Daddy Long Legs" in her journal. My brain went "You can get it free on Project Gutenberg!" and about half an hour later, I had it on my ebook reader.

It's an absolutely delightful book. I originally read this when I as young and never forgot it. I was pleased to discover that I enjoyed it even more as an adult.

It's a series of letters from an orphan to the mysterious benefactor who is paying for her college education. She doesn't know what his name is, but the deal is that he supports her education as long as she writes him a regular letter about what she's doing. As she's only even seen his elongated shadow, she nicknames him "Daddy Long Legs".

She tells him about what she's learning, what she thinks of it, cheerfully berates him for never writing back, tells him of what she gets upto with her friends, comments on all kinds of things with a cheerful irreverence. (She knows that one of the reasons he chose to help her is that she wrote a humorous school essay mocking the trustees' annual visit to the orphanage)

It's partly a wonderful window into the world of 1912, from the social attitudes to orphans, to the clothes worn by young women, but it's also very funny. I laughed out loud several times while reading it.

There's a romance that develops between Judy and a relative of one of her college friends, but she is concerned about her background and the fact that he comes from an upper-class family. (Orphans really were low status back then)

It reminds me a little of "84 Charring Cross Rd". There's the same love of literature, and the same cheerful, humorous, slightly disrespectful but fond attitude towards the correspondent.

You can get it for free! Read it. Far more fun than most classics. ( )
  JudithProctor | Dec 17, 2018 |
The story, told in a series of letters, follows an orphan from her youth in the orphanage to college, which is provided by an anonymous benefactor who only asks that she keep him updated as to her progress. I loved this book as a child and read it many times. ( )
  anneofia | Nov 8, 2018 |

Mac Neill, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munsching, Annie vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, H.R.S. van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To You
The first Wednesday in every month was a Perfectly Awful Day--a day to be awaited with dread, endured with courage and forgotten with haste.
This entry is for the book Daddy-Long-Legs, first published in 1912. Please do not combine with the 1919 Mary Pickford film, the 1931 Janet Gaynor/Warner Baxter film, or the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron film.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

All sorts of things begin to happen when an orphaned boarding school student finally meets the wealthy guardian with whom she has corresponded for years sight unseen.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,472,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible