Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Daddy-Long-Legs (1912)

by Jean Webster (Author)

Series: Daddy-Long-Legs (1)

Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: The sequel to Daddy Long Legs, featuring Sally's adventures at an orphan asylum
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both are classic stories about unusual young women who enjoy writing.
    Carney's House Party: A Deep Valley Story by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Partially set at Vassar. Also a story about college friendships.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (Hollerama)
    Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher (charl08)
    charl08: Similar epistolary format, although with very different results!
    When Patty Went to College by Jean Webster (Bjace, Hollerama)
    Bjace: Patty is a fun but less responsible version of Judy Abbott. Both of these are college stories probably set at Vassar.

English (71)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (76)
I picked this up at the Books on Tap book club at Forager. It was recommended by one of Rochester's librarians as one of her favorites as a kid. It surprised me that it was written in 1912. The story follows Jerusha, an orphan, who is picked by a secret trustee of the orphanage to go to college. The story is predictable, but fun to read. I know if I had read it at age 12 it would have been a favorite like Anne of Green Gables, David Copperfield and Oliver Twist. Books about orphans seem to be a successful formula for pre-teens! ( )
  strandbooks | Apr 2, 2016 |
When I was so young, around 6, my brother and I would wake up early to watch an anime series called "يا صاحب الظل الطويل" aka "The Man with the Long Shadow" aka "Daddy Long Legs".

Little did I know by then, that the story would stay with me till this very day; I guess what we get attached to while young does stick in our minds and hearts, and as always a well written story is always a classic.

It helps also that I'm always attracted to protagonist who are writers, like Judy Abbott, Anne Shirley and Jo March.

Years ago, I bought the book and a few days ago I reread it and fell in love with the spirit of the author more than ever. I think the best adaption of the story was the Japanese cartoon version, it's so close to the actual book and so deep, the cartoonist and director really brought the story to life, I wish the people who brought Downton Abbey to TV would just make the cartoon a reality because it's simply amazing. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
●Author, Jean Webster, born Alice Jane Chandler, 1876-1916, grew up in Fredonia, NY
●Author was related to Mark Twain
○her mother was Twain's niece
○her father was Twain's business manager
●Epistolary fiction, published 1910
●A series of dolls, based on the book's characters, were sold as a
fundraiser. Proceeds of sales were used to help cover adoption fees
for families adopting a child from an orphanage.
●A coming-of-age story.
  BALE | Feb 7, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

5 stars and a heart

Written and set in pre-WWI Northeastern USA.

Jerusha (Judy) Abbott grew up an an orphanage, but is offered a full college education with allowance by an anonymous trustee who appreciates a witty high school essay she wrote about life in the orphanage. Her one form of repayment is to write him a letter each month and to address it to Mr. John Smith. Having seen his shadow and knowing he had long legs, she starts writing to Daddy Long Legs after the second letter, and her colourful, illustrated letters take us through her four years of school including the summer breaks.

If you've never read it, it's really something that, while totally different, is right up there with Anne of Green Gables (from a similar time; I'm not sure why it hasn't stayed as popular other than she is older than Anne when Anne starts out. There's no sentimentality, but it is definitely a fun read. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |

Mac Neill, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munsching, Annie vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, H.R.S. van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To You
The first Wednesday in every month was a Perfectly Awful Day--a day to be awaited with dread, endured with courage and forgotten with haste.
This entry is for the book Daddy-Long-Legs, first published in 1912. Please do not combine with the 1919 Mary Pickford film, the 1931 Janet Gaynor/Warner Baxter film, or the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron film.

This title is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online.

GUTENBERG.org is the origin for most of the human and well-edited FREE kindle editions online in various languages. Scam sites will ask for money for the hard work and titles which Gutenberg volunteers provide free. ARCHIVE.org provides a huge selection of FREE e-pub & PDF public domain titles in various languages also. (easily readable with the Free CALIBRE-ebook.com app]. Project Gutenberg is a great organization. They will never ask you for money before allowing you to download their books (though voluntary donations are welcome).

Only SCAM SITES & CON ARTISTS will ask for money for the hard work and e-book titles which the Gutenberg volunteers provide free. Their latest bs? "You're paying for the ability to wi-fi your download." Really? So these con artists who steal Gutenberg's hard work then re-post what should be FREE e-books for sale .... rationalize it because they provide wi-fi downloads? Now that is a load of nonsense. Do you think these scammers are donating all the money back to the non-profit Gutenberg? I don't think so. Please don't patronize e-thieves or con artists. And don't let them gull you. How hard is it to plug your e-reader into your computer and do a manual download? Pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to do this, ask one of your grandkids to show you how.

There are lots of free pre-1923 public domain kindle books on Amazon.com. [Type in 'free' and 'public domain' in the search bar.] Some current authors make their copyrighted e-books available free on Amazon and other sites also. [I would assume as a form of advertising and/or as a loss leader for a book series. Make sure to review their books as a thank you.]

ManyBooks.net offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. If the book you downloaded from them doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

FeedBooks.com/publicdomain offers Gutenberg's books in a different formatting. It also offers ebooks for sale. If the book you downloaded from Gutenberg doesn't work for you, maybe you can get a different copy of the same book there.

All sorts of things begin to happen when an orphaned boarding school student finally meets the wealthy guardian with whom she has corresponded for years sight unseen.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,899,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible