Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Daddy-Long-Legs (1912)

by Jean Webster (Author)

Series: Daddy-Long-Legs (1)

Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: The sequel to Daddy Long Legs, featuring Sally's adventures at an orphan asylum
    Carney's House Party: A Deep Valley Book (Betsy-Tacy) by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Partially set at Vassar. Also a story about college friendships.
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: Both are classic stories about unusual young women who enjoy writing.
    A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (Hollerama)
    Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher (charl08)
    charl08: Similar epistolary format, although with very different results!
    When Patty Went to College by Jean Webster (Bjace, Hollerama)
    Bjace: Patty is a fun but less responsible version of Judy Abbott. Both of these are college stories probably set at Vassar.

English (54)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
Lovely easy read ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
This is my first kindle novel, it was free and the only book that interested me, mainly because I'd seen the Fred Astair film, I didn't know it was a book. I loved it, and wish I'd come across it years ago. An easy enjoyable read, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Judy was a likeable heroine, a bit like Anne in Anne of Green Gables. ( )
  MsStephie | Jul 12, 2014 |
Dated and somewhat predictable yet utterly charming story for young girls. Jerusha Abbot is raised in an orphanage but one of it's trustees sends her to college as long as she writes to him once a month but he will not reply. Nearly all of the novel is her letters, which means the plot moves in an odd way but it is still interesting. The general premise is fundamentally appalling but I still liked it. I mean, she must write to this benefactor but never get a reply? It becomes quite obvious whom the mysterious benefactor is but she trips through her four years of college and into the world before she picks it up. It is a bit creepy but I really enjoyed it. A strange one for a children's classic but enjoyable. A note in the Project Gutenberg text says that the author was the grand-neice of Mark Twain, for what that is worth.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Aww I simply fell in LOVE with this book!! And this is straightaway going to my ‘MOST FAVORITE’ Shelf without a doubt!! I am so glad that I found such a charming book without overlooking! I kinda love epistolary novels, which was one of the reason I picked up this book. It’s a story of a 17 year old orphan Jerusha or Judy (as she wants to be called!!) who is sent to college for her higher studies by anonymous trusty funding for her education and in return he only expects a letter from her, every now and then about her progress. And for the next four years she writes each and every happenings of her life to this anonymous trusty whom she calls Daddy-long-legs.
It’s quite mesmerizing the way author shows Judy’s character-development and maturity with each letter she writes. I loved everything about Judy. Her honesty, her innocence and her stubbornness! The beauty of her character was that she was very relatable! I never once got bored of her company throughout the book although it was only about her. She was so upright in expressing her feeling when she was angry likewise when she was happy! Oh she is the most adorable character ever!
I would recommend this book to each and every girl. It hardly takes a day to finish this!

my book journal ( )
  Versha.Bharat | May 30, 2014 |
I really liked this book when we read it in my Vintage Book Circle reading group. We read books that we remember from our childhood. I remembered this as a favorite when I was growing up.

Delightful, clever, witty, wonderful turn of phrase. Surprise ending. Second reading shows it held up well. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |

Mac Neill, JoanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Munsching, Annie vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, H.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tholema, A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veen, H.R.S. van derEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To You
The first Wednesday in every month was a Perfectly Awful Day--a day to be awaited with dread, endured with courage and forgotten with haste.
This entry is for the book Daddy-Long-Legs, first published in 1912. Please do not combine with the 1919 Mary Pickford film, the 1931 Janet Gaynor/Warner Baxter film, or the 1955 Fred Astaire/Leslie Caron film.

All sorts of things begin to happen when an orphaned boarding school student finally meets the wealthy guardian with whom she has corresponded for years sight unseen.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible