And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading…

And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own… (2011)

by Margaret Roach

Roach left her high-powered job with Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia to retire to her rural house in upstate New York. She had purchased the home many years previously and used it as a weekend getaway, but living there full time was decidedly different.

The subtitle of this book is Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road and I was expecting a memoir that explored the wonders of nature, gardening, wildlife and “neighbors” (who live a mile away).
Roach does include some of this. Her observations of the wildlife – including numerous birds, frogs and snakes – were interesting. She writes well, but mostly I thought the book was self-indulgent. Do I really care that she is still a size 2? Or that she used to power-shop, spending thousands of dollars in 15 minutes on designer clothes?

I think Roach hasn’t really come to grips with the fact that she’s no longer working at MSLO. She specifically asks at least 5 times: Who am I if I am not mroach@marthastewart dot com any longer? I got it the first time. I found her contemplations on life “alone” tedious. Her sporadic mention of neighbors and interactions with people were flat. She seemed to really have closed herself off from other people. Yes, she appreciated that Herb came to plow out her driveway, but she never seemed to connect with him … or with me.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
A bit too wordy for my taste. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
A bit too wordy for my taste. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Unreadable. Chaotic. Unfocused. Meandering. Run-on. In the end, entirely put-down-able- in all senses of the phrase. I'm disappointed, because I really wanted to like it. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This was a book that I expected to love because the author has a lovely gardening blog that I enjoy and a promising back story of her escape from NYC and corporate America (she was a bigwig at Martha Stewart) to her garden sanctuary in the country. I had hoped for some gardening essays, some thoughtful but practical commentary on her experience...anything but what actually ended up on the page, which was chapter after chapter of rambling, free-form self doubt and the recurring question of who she is now that she is not a Martha Stewart exec. Far, far too much information about her quest for inner peace (think expensive spas and pricey spiritual advisers) and her quest for a mate (think expensive and exclusive dating service). This clearly talented writer and thoughtful woman has standards so high (perhaps honed by the perfectionism of the Martha Stewart brand) that she cannot possibly live up to her own ideals and spends most of the book holed up in her house wearing sweats and refusing to answer the phone (or was that just my impression?). As an editor, I can only wonder where hers was. My own sense is that the author needed more time to decompress and allow her life to settle before turning to the book contract. This book might have been a far more interesting one if it had been written a bit later in the journey. ( )
  tippycanoegal | Apr 1, 2013 |
May this life serve to awaken. * Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you, If you're young at heart. For it's hard, you will find, to be narrow of mind If you're young at heart. You can go to extremes with impossible schemes. You can laugh when your dreams fall apart at the seams. And if life gets more exciting with each passing day. And love is either in your heart or on its way. - Carolyn Leigh, "Young at Heart" * I want to know my own will and to move on with it. And I want, in the hushed moments, When the nameless draws near, To be among the wise ones - or alone... - Rainer Maria Rilker, Rilke's Book of Hours, Love Poems to God, Anita Murrows and Joanna Macy Translation
For amazing Grace, whose own tale is already one of magic, too.
She of nobody else's bidding: That is who I am now - someone who has not done what anyone else said since July 2008, though not because I am either disobedient of a slacker.

Margaret Roach was editorial director of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, a company she had been with for fifteen years. But despite the financial and professional rewards of her job, Roach felt unfulfilled. So she moved to her rural weekend house to lead a more genuine personal and professional life by connecting with her garden and with nature. The journey she recalls if funny, quirky, humble - and uplifting - and allows readers to live out the fantasy of quitting the rat race and getting way from it all. (ARC)

Margaret Roach worked at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia for 15 years, serving as Editorial Director for the last 6. She first made her name in gardening, writing a classic gardening book among other things. She now has a hugely popular gardening blog, "A Way to Garden." But despite the financial and professional rewards of her job, Margaret felt unfulfilled. So she moved to her weekend house upstate in an effort to lead a more authentic life by connecting with her garden and with nature. The memoir she wrote about this journey is funny, quirky, humble--and uplifting--an Eat, Pray, Love without the travel-and allows readers to live out the fantasy of quitting the rat race and getting away from it all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:50 -0400)

"Follows the journey of a woman who leaves her big city corporate life to find solitude and authenticity in nature"--Provided by the publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Margaret Roach's book And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,040,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible