An Object of Beauty: A Novel by Steve Martin

An Object of Beauty: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Steve Martin

Title:An Object of Beauty: A Novel
Authors:Steve Martin
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Stewart's Read, Your library
Tags:Y12, fiction, art

An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

English (73)  Piratical (1)  All languages (74)
Lacey Yeager is a young woman entering the world of art dealing in Manhattan. She learns the craft at Sotheby’s and then steps out into her own gallery. Although there is glitz and glamour in the story Mr. Martin shows us the grittier side of the art world in this book. Not everyone has scruples, and the name of the game is money. The book touches on various aspects of the art world and for this reason I thought I would love it. It has it moments, some interesting characters and presents some truths about the world of art but honestly, it fell just a little short for me.

The book did touch a little on the Gardner Museum art theft, which I found interesting but even that plot line did not resolve itself to my satisfaction. Bottom line … I’ve read better art related fiction.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Read's somewhat like a non-fiction(but I guess that's what the author went for). Altogether, it was quite interesting because I got to know a whole lot more about the art world. Art interests me! ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
fun, fast read. loved learning more about how the art world works - the collectors, the dealers, the auctions, the galleries, the insider information, the deals, the intrigue! ( )
  annadanz | Jul 5, 2015 |
so so so good. My favorite of the Steve Martin books. ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |
You know those slow paced indie movies that are still really good? Well this is one of those slow paced indie movies where you can't wait for it to end. Okay, so it's not a movie but it feels like that and is the best way I could find to describe this book. The only saving grace (2 stars vs 1 star) is the subject being Art dealing, and as an artist it was something that peaked my interest. This was my first Steve Martin book and I was almost prepared for his style of writing, knowing it wouldn't be my cup of tea. Why? Isn't Martin a comedian? Yes, he is BUT have you watched the movie Shop Girl? It's a slow paced boring indie film based on one of his books. I knew what I was getting into but I still dove head first hoping I would be wrong. I love Steve Martin as a comedian but dislike his writing, a second chance on another of his books would probably be a mistake since I also disliked the movie "Shop Girl". ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
"I couldn’t be a woman," Steve Martin once joked, "because I’d play with my breasts all day." Now he has written a novel about a young woman, but nearly the only thing he can imagine about her is wanting to play with her breasts. The Object of Beauty is a nasty exercise in narcissism, particularly in the narcissism of the famous.
Dark subject matter is conveyed with certain smart-assey detachment. Martin knows when to drop a joke in before things get too serious. Timing. Comedians have it.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Dec 16, 2010)
“An Object of Beauty” follows the New York art world climb of Lacey Yeager. She is a charismatic character yet a very odd one to have emerged from the imagination of Steve Martin. Although Lacey is treated as this book’s main source of fascination, it’s less interesting to look at her point-blank than to look at her while wondering what Mr. Martin sees.

One aspect of this novel’s allure is the ambiguity with which Mr. Martin frames Lacey’s fierce, outsize ambitions. Is her story meant to be the appreciatively told tale of a canny New York predator? That of a relative innocent whose values change in the presence of vast sums of art-market money? Or that of a stylishly attractive dynamo who, with only minimal irony, recognizes herself in the monstrous goddess that Willem de Kooning painted as “Woman I?”

Is she an unalloyed opportunist? Or is she as intoxicated with art as she is with the leverage and entrée that expertise will bring? Is she stirred by art’s erotic power or just someone who sexually exploits the acquisitive passions of insatiable collectors? Does she share the collectors’ boys’-club competitive spirit (for surely this is a man’s world, at least in the way it is depicted by Mr. Martin)? Or is she just a woman who’s inordinately good at manipulating rich, credulous men? . . .

added by PLReader | editNY Times, Janet Maslin (Nov 28, 2010)
I am tired, so very tired of thinking about Lacey Yeager, yet I worry that unless I write her story down, and see it bound and tidy on my bookshelf, I will be unable to ever write about anything else.
"I think Lacey is the kind of person who will always be okay."
When she was alone, she was potential; with others she was realized. Alone she was self-contained, her tightly spinning magnetic energy oscillating around her. When in company, she had invisible tethers to everyone in the room: as they moved away, she pulled them in.
Was every transgression capable of being so well hid? It suggested that one could connect the dots between any two people in any room and perhaps stumble onto an unknown relationship.
"Do you know we tape all our auctions?"
When Lacey began these computations, her toe crossed ground from which it is difficult to return: she started converting objects of beauty into objects of value.

Lacey Yeager is young, captivating, and ambitious enough to take the NYC art world by storm. Groomed at Sotheby's and hungry to keep climbing the social and career ladders put before her, Lacey charms men and women, old and young, rich and even richer with her magnetic charisma and liveliness. Her ascension to the highest tiers of the city parallel the soaring heights--and, at times, the dark lows--of the art world and the country from the late 1990s through today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

"Steve Martin's latest novel examines the glamour and the subterfuge of the fine art world in New York City"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,691,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible