dismiss

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Dealing with Dragons (1990)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (1)

Bored with traditional palace life, a princess goes off to live with a group of dragons and soon becomes involved with fighting against some disreputable wizards who want to steal away the dragons' kingdom.
Recently added byloraleew, elam11, chris8928, pvlmc, rena40, private library, carlypancakes, lcslibrarian, Yrrol
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another great fantasy that has a strong female character that refuses to conform to what everyone tells her is "proper". Ella Enchanted does have a romance in it (it IS a Cinderella retelling, after all) but its very innocent and is still appropriate for 10 and up readers.… (more)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are send-up of fantasy conventions (and D-heavy titles!): Dealing with Dragons focuses more on fairy tales while Dark Lord of Derkholm deals more with high/quest fantasy.
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (f_ing_kangaroo, Tinker_Books)
    Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale (FFortuna)
    Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George (megan003)
    A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (wordcauldron)
    Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin (wordcauldron)
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (wordcauldron)
    Damsel by Susan E. Connolly (Scorbet)
    Scorbet: Damsel is probably for a younger age group than Dealing with Dragons, but features a similar subversion of standard fantasy tropes.
    Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner (wordcauldron)
    The Other Side of Silence by Margaret Mahy (cammykitty)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (foggidawn)
    Wren's War by Sherwood Smith (Nikkles)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (FFortuna)
    Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (changsbooks)
    Cart and Cwidder by Diana Wynne Jones (cammykitty)

English (118)  German (1)  All languages (119)
I love this book. I wasn't sure about the multiple voices audio that the Listening Library was using, but I got used to it by the end. ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
This is a cute, fun book. I like how it pokes fun and subverts traditional fairy tales, and has a very practical heroine. The plot isn't the most engaging, but it's not bad. Overall, I would recommend it, especially to kids. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Apr 22, 2020 |
This was silly and fun, and left me wanting more. I loved how practical and logical the main character was. So smart and resourceful! ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |
Cimorene isn't a normal princess. Instead of learning how to sew and dance, she would much rather be casting spells and fencing. When her parents decide it is time for her to be a proper princess and marry a prince, Cimorene runs away. She doesn't want to be a bored girl sitting in a castle all day. She would much rather live with a dragon, and she does just that. Living with the dragon Kazul, Cimorene will learn what it means to find her place in the world.

This is a light fun story for early readers. I can see this being the perfect introduction to the fantasy genre. The story touches on common fairy tales and has a main character who outsmarts even the best of her opponents. Cimorene is a strong female lead for growing girls to follow, and I think they will find it amusing that she doesn't want to be a normal princess. Cimorene dares to break the mold and does so in a way that is neither offensive or rude.

It's hard to find books that are appropriate these days for young adults. While this may be a simpler read, I can see teens enjoying it just as much as the young crowd. I first read this when I was in my teens and found it a quick funny read. Coming back to the story now that I am older, I still found it entertaining and I smiled at Cimorene's antics. ( )
  Letora | Dec 24, 2019 |
Cimorene is a princess, but she hates doing princess-y things like dancing and etiquette. So she runs away to become the personal assistant to a dragon, and foils the plans of some conniving wizards in the process.

This was my very favorite book as a kid, and it really holds up. I love that the things Cimorene runs away to do (cooking, cleaning, organizing) aren't exciting or glamorous, she just wants to be able to do things for herself. It's kind of a reverse Cinderella. (Though of course Kazul is respectful and friendly and not abusive.) ( )
1 vote norabelle414 | Aug 17, 2019 |

Puda, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quintal, Lana M.Actresssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenthal, Elise J.Actresssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmuckler, CarolActresssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seve, Peter deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sustare, GailActresssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For ALAN CARL and ANNIE BUJOLD, because they liked the other one a lot
Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. The climate was unremarkable. The knights kept their armor brightly polished mainly for show -- it had been centuries since a dragon had come east. There were the usual periodic problems with royal children and uninvited fairy godmothers, but they were always the sort of thing that could be cleared up by finding the proper prince or princess to marry the unfortunate child a few years later. All in all, Linderwall was a very prosperous and pleasant place.
Cimorene hated it.
Dealing with Dragons was also published under the title Dragonsbane.

Take one bored princess. Make her the seventh daughter in a very proper royal family. Have her run away. Add one powerful, fascinating, dangerous dragon. Princess Cimorene has never met anyone (or anything) like the Kazul. But then, she's never met a witch, a jinn, a death-dealing talking bird, or a stone prince either. Princess Cimorene ran away to find some excitement. She's found plenty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,509,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible