Dealing with Dragons: The Enchanted Forest…

Dealing with Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book One (original 1990; edition 2002)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Member:bazling
Title:Dealing with Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book One
Authors:Patricia C. Wrede
Info:Magic Carpet Books (2002), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, Green Dragon, adventure

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (1990)

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (infiniteletters)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another great fantasy that has a strong female character that refuses to conform to what everyone tells her is "proper". Ella Enchanted does have a romance in it (it IS a Cinderella retelling, after all) but its very innocent and is still appropriate for 10 and up readers.… (more)
    Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are send-up of fantasy conventions (and D-heavy titles!): Dealing with Dragons focuses more on fairy tales while Dark Lord of Derkholm deals more with high/quest fantasy.
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (Nikkles)
    The Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye (infiniteletters)
    Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George (megan003)
    House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (f_ing_kangaroo, Tinker_Books)
    Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale (FFortuna)
    The Other Side of Silence by Margaret Mahy (cammykitty)
    Wren's War by Sherwood Smith (Nikkles)
    Damsel by Susan E. Connolly (Scorbet)
    Scorbet: Damsel is probably for a younger age group than Dealing with Dragons, but features a similar subversion of standard fantasy tropes.
    Enchanted (The Woodcutter Sisters) by Alethea Kontis (foggidawn)
    The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Robe of Skulls by Vivian French (FFortuna)
    Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (changsbooks)
    Cart and Cwidder by Diana Wynne Jones (cammykitty)

English (97)  German (1)  All (98)
Dealing with dragons was basically about a young princess who didn't quite fit in with the lifestyle she was given. She was expected to act like a princess and sew, dance, etc. but however she simply did not enjoy those types of things. She wanted a more , crazy lifestyle. When she found out about her parents arranging a marriage for her, she ran away. The young princess, cimorene decided to go live with dragons.most specifically, kazul. Cimorene and Kabul go on a journey encountering many things throughout the book. Cimorene meets other princesses "captive" by dragons, Kazul ends up the new king of dragons in the end. I personally am not a fan of fantasy books. This book was okay. i dont think i would change anything about the book but for fantasy book readers, its a good read. ( )
  shaelyn_smith | Mar 22, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot, & Librarything and links at Booklikes, & Goodreads by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: Dealing with Dragons
Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1
Author: Patricia Wrede
Rating: 5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 244
Format: Kindle digital edition

Synopsis: Spoilers

Cimorene is an unusual Princess in the Kingdom that sets the Standard for Normal. It doesn't help that she has several older sisters who all Normal Princesses. After trying to learn magic, cooking, horseback riding, fencing and other various unsuitable activities for a Princess, Cimorene finds out that her parents are going to marry her off to get her of their hands. Not being particularly enamoured of the idea, Cimorene takes the advice of a magic frog she meets in the garden and sets off to find herself a dragon. A dragon that will keep everyone away from her.

Cimorene is taken under wing [ha!] by Kazul, who happens to like cherry jubilee, one of the few desserts that Cimorene knows how to make. As knights and princes come and go, Cimorene stumbles upon a plot by wizards to cause problems at the next choosing of the Dragon King. With the the help of another Princess, a Stone Prince and a local witch from the Enchanted Forest, Cimorene exposes the plot, foils the wizards and allows Kazul to become the next King of the Dragons.

My Thoughts:

This was humorous, delightful and cute. There wasn't a single thing I didn't like with this story. It was fun. Sometimes in the midst of epic fantasy tomes or the weighty thoughts of science fiction classics, you need a break. I didn't know I needed a break, but when I started reading this, I realized I needed to be charmed and this book charmed me from beginning to end.

This was written in such a way that an adult like me could enjoy it fully and yet it seemed accessible all the way down to middle grade readers, perhaps even precocious elementary ones. To be able to reach that full spectrum is the mark of an author who knows her craft.

Don't have much else to say beyond the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed this read and I was tempted to just read all 4 of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles right in a row. But much like cherry jubilee, you cannot gorge yourself without some consequences. So I'm pacing myself and now I am REALLY looking forward to the next books. ( )
2 vote BookstoogeLT | Feb 26, 2017 |
A young princess who doesn't play by the normal princess rules voluntarily offers herself up to a dragon as her cook and finds herself helping put down a dragon/wizard rebellion. I like the idea (strong girl characters are awesome, of course), and it was a fun story, but I won't continue with the series, at least for now. Note: I think I might have enjoyed it more had I read it myself instead of listening to the audiobook version - the readers were awful with raisins, and so I suspect that the writing wasn't quite as not-good as it seemed. ( )
  electrascaife | Dec 7, 2016 |
Cimorene is not your traditional princess. She wants to learn magic or cooking or something useful, but her options are limited unless she feels like getting married - and she doesn't, at least not right now. So she decides to volunteer as a dragon's princess instead.

I really enjoyed the humor and the way the author plays with the conventions of the fantasy genre in this tale. Cimorene is her own person: smart, practical, maybe a bit tomboyish but she also likes to cook. She makes friends with her dragon, Kazul, and doesn't want the bother of would-be rescuing knights. Fun to read or as a readaloud, and enough to hold the interest of a wide age range. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Wife read this to me in the car while I was driving cross country. Very good tale. ( )
  Brian_Lawrence | Sep 17, 2016 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Besnier, YvesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De Seve, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delval, Marie-HélèneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hartman, DaliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puda, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seve, Peter deCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For ALAN CARL and ANNIE BUJOLD, because they liked the other one a lot
Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. The climate was unremarkable. The knights kept their armor brightly polished mainly for show -- it had been centuries since a dragon had come east. There were the usual periodic problems with royal children and uninvited fairy godmothers, but they were always the sort of thing that could be cleared up by finding the proper prince or princess to marry the unfortunate child a few years later. All in all, Linderwall was a very prosperous and pleasant place.
Cimorene hated it.
Dealing with Dragons was also published under the title Dragonsbane.

Take one bored princess. Make her the seventh daughter in a very proper royal family. Have her run away. Add one powerful, fascinating, dangerous dragon. Princess Cimorene has never met anyone (or anything) like the Kazul. But then, she's never met a witch, a jinn, a death-dealing talking bird, or a stone prince either. Princess Cimorene ran away to find some excitement. She's found plenty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 015204566X, Paperback)

Cimorene, princess of Linderwall, is a classic tomboy heroine with classic tomboy strengths--all of which are perceived by those around her as defects: "As for the girl's disposition--well, when people were being polite, they said she was strong-minded. When they were angry or annoyed with her, they said she was as stubborn as a pig." Cimorene, tired of etiquette and embroidery, runs away from home and finds herself in a nest of dragons. Now, in Cimorene's world--a world cleverly built by author Patricia C. Wrede on the shifting sands of myriad fairy tales--princesses are forever being captured by dragons. The difference here is that Cimorene goes willingly. She would rather keep house for the dragon Kazul than be bored in her parents' castle. With her quick wit and her stubborn courage, Cimorene saves the mostly kind dragons from a wicked plot hatched by the local wizards, and worms her way into the hearts of young girls everywhere.

While the characters are sometimes simplistically drawn, adults and children will have fun tracing the sources of the various fairy tales Wrede plunders for her story. Dealing with Dragons is the first book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and most young readers will want to devour the entire series. (Ages 10 and older) --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

Bored with traditional palace life, Princess Cimorene travels to the Mountains of Morning where she is befriended by a group of powerful dragons and joins in their struggle to protect their kingdom from being taken over by disreputable wizards.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible