The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill

The Woodcutter (2010)

by Reginald Hill

The Loner by Quintin Jardine (aliklein)
    Delirious by Daniel Palmer (bsiemens)
    bsiemens: This is a psychological thriller that ties motives to family.

English (40)  German (1)  All (41)
Really enjoyed this, at earlier points in the book I really thought I knew what was going to happen, but was proven wrong, so I liked that! It cracks along at a good pace & has some intriguing characters. Narrator was really good too. ( )
  pieandsunshine | Aug 21, 2016 |
Wolf, the son of a groundskeeper, falls in love while still a teenager with the young Imogen. Much to her parents dismay they finally marry and Wolf begins doing what he does best...making money.

In the matter of a heartbeat, though, everything changes for Wolf. He is arrested and charged with a most reprehensible crime (and another that's bad enough). He is tried, convicted and sentenced to prison, but not before a bungled escape attempt leaves him mutilated, crippled and in a coma for several months. When he awakens, he learns that Imogen has divorced him and married his attorney, and all that he formerly possessed is gone. Far from being cowed, broken and impoverished, Wolf has aggressive plans, and somehow has the means to carry them out. Foremost among these would be determining who ruined his life and took everything from him. This he does in due course, whereby he begins plotting and executing a suitable revenge. His quests lead him to some surprising, uncomfortable and shocking truths, not only about those he loved and trusted, but also about himself.

This book can not be read in one sitting. Be prepared to be drawn in to an extended, detailed and complex plot, with wonderful characters, both friends and foes, and a strong sense of an inexorable, unusual and personal justice being being achieved. Too bad we won't be getting any more books by this extrememly talented author. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I picked up a copy of this book years ago. I was very intrigued by the concept of the plot. I started reading it and had a very hard time getting into the story or the characters. The alternating voices of the past and the present was not always as seamless as I would have liked from the transfer back and forth. So I put the book down with ease and walked away from it. There have been many times throughout the years that I have went to grab the book only to grab a different book to read. Yet, this was one book that was kind of taunting me to come back to it. So I finally did but only got about a few chapters more into the book. I actually had the expectation that I would read more then I did but with my lack of interest in the characters and then the talk about adolescent sexuality I was turned off and down with this book for good. ( )
  Cherylk | Feb 7, 2016 |
I can't believe there won't be anymore new Reginald Hill books to read, this was my last unread novel of his. Brilliant as always, would make a great TV series for the BBC if done well. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Cracking good read, I loved the hero. Witty and funny. ( )
  gogglemiss | Oct 21, 2015 |
Wolf Hadda is the son of a Cumbrian forester who has become a millionaire businessman and married the beautiful daughter of the local aristocrat who employed his father. His carefully constructed world comes crashing down in 2008, when he is arrested on charges of being involved in an international paedophile ring; while attempting to escape the police he runs under a bus and is seriously injured. But the action of THE WOODCUTTER really begins in 2015 when Wolf, now in a maximum security prison, encounters the psychiatrist Alva Ozigbo. Following lengthy sessions with her, he is released and begins a quest for the truth and revenge.

Reginald Hillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062060740, Hardcover)

Wolf Hadda’s life has been a fairy tale. From his humble origins as a Cumbrian woodcutter’s son, he has risen to become a hugely successful entrepreneur, happily married to the woman of his dreams.

But there was a mysterious period in Wolf’s youth when he disappeared from home and was known to his employers as the Woodcutter. And now the Woodcutter is back, looking for the truth—and revenge. Can Alva intervene before his pursuit of vengeance takes him to a place from which he can never come back?

The Woodcutter is a treat that both lovers of the Dalziel and Pascoe series and newcomers to the always masterful work of Reginald Hill will devour.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

Wolf Hadda's life has been a fairy tale. From his humble origins as a Cumbrian woodcutter's son, he has risen to become a hugely successful entrepreneur, happily married to the woman of his dreams. A knock on the door one morning ends it all. Universally reviled, thrown into prison while protesting his innocence, abandoned by friends and family, Wolf retreats into silence. Seven years later, prison psychiatrist Alva Ozigbo makes a breakthrough. Wolf begins to talk, and under her guidance he is paroled, returning to his family home in rural Cumbria. But there was a mysterious period in Wolf's youth when he disappeared from home and was known to his employers as the Woodcutter. And now the Woodcutter is back, looking for the truth - and revenge. Can Alva intervene before his pursuit of vengeance takes him to a place from which he can never come back?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible