Shadowspell by Jenna Black

Shadowspell

by Jenna Black

235None49,471 (4.1)2

I think this might be the best YA paranormal series I have read (though, I will admit that I have not read a large amount of them, but I have read a few).

Dana is a great, no holds barred kind of girl. Very indepentant and doesn't take no for an answer. We see a different side to Ethan and Keane. There is also a new character in the Erlking (who leads the Wild Hunt). He gives new meaning to the being a very bad person. Everyone is petrofied of him, including both of the Faerie queens.

There are several plot twists in this story, which makes waiting for Sirensong a long wait. Luckly it is only a few months away. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Full review can be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

Oh Dana, how naive you were in your bargain! I was sure the way it was worded meant exactly what it meant, but I had no idea just how bad things would be, even if she decides later herself to actually go through with it.

Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Raced through this one today, wish SIRENSONG was out already! SHADOWSPELL is just a quick commercial break away from GLIMMERGLASS, and I certainly wish I could tune in next week for the next installment. Great action, continued development of characters, and not much retread. I'm invested in these characters and interested to see what happens next. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
This book was just as good as expected after reading Glimmerglass. Once again I read way too fast and finished quickly. I'm really loving the story. Also, what I'd like to point out most about this series, and this book especially, is that even though it's YA, it doesn't just entertain the tween crowd. There is cussing and very watered down sensual scenes. I'm not saying this is bad at all! I really like that the writer does this because as an adult that reads a lot of young adult books, sometimes I miss some of the adult... feeling... i guess is the word. This series is a great read for adults as well as teens.

Once again this story is written very well. The narrative seems more personal and really easy to relate to. There was even a point when reading this that I got so into it that when something not-so-expected happened my jaw actually fell open. I love being able to get into a good book!

I really like Dana. And The Erlking sounds... yummy. In a dark way. Keane is probably my favorite male character. And I have to admit that Ethan kind of annoys me.

I can't wait to see what happens next in the Sirensong. Again, I can't stress enough to fantasy readers that this is definitely a series worth giving a chance. ( )
  THost315 | Nov 16, 2011 |
It took me a while to get around to reading this. I liked Glimmerglass a lot, but it was also just a three star read. Enjoyable, but not one of my favorites. But when this one was released I felt the need to buy it immediately. And six months later I've finally read it. And I'm glad I did. I liked Shadowspell much more than Glimmerglass. And the two questions I had left over from Glimmerglass dealing with Dana's singing and prospective love interests were answered. Although, the love interest thing took a twist in Shadowspell that I was not expecting at all.

Shadowspell starts out with a bang as the Erlking makes his entrance into Avalon. I have seen many authors try to write the sexy villain. Many succeed, but many also fail. At least for me. What doesn't work for me will always work for someone. But Jenna Black nailed the Erlking as the sexy villain. And he's smart too. The way he manipulates people, making someone think an idea is their own to get what he wants. That's also sometimes hard to write well, but again she nails it. I definitely look forward to more of the Erlking in Sirensong.

While the Erlking is the main attraction for Shadowspell, Grace does of course return to continue advancing her schemes. There's definitely no lack of action. Ethan is as sleazy as ever. I did feel bad for him during is ordeal, but I still don't want Dana ending up with him. But we'll see. Maybe he'll be redeemed later on. And her mother. Wow. There's nothing really nice I can say about her. Except that she makes me grateful for the mother I have.

As I started this review, I looked back at the one I did of Glimmerglass. It was very nostalgic, since Glimmerglass was the first ever review I posted on this blog back in December. And now Sirensong will be out soon! I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next installment. I need more of the Erlking.

Have you read Shadowspell yet? What did you think? Let me know!
  pandaris | Nov 15, 2011 |
To my husband, Dan. You are, as always, my inspiration.
Going on a date with a bodyguard hanging over your shoulder sucks.

On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible