Shadowspell by Jenna Black

Shadowspell

by Jenna Black

Recently added byprivate library, jolerie, Tarklovishki, kybunnies, kerers, ku., AaminahNisa

Dana Hathaway is a Faeriewalker and that means she has the ability to cross the boundaries between the mortal world and the realm of the Faeries. Not only does she have access to both worlds, she also has the ability to bring any weaponry or power across and that means she is a danger to the Fae and humans alike. Not only does this put a huge target on her back, but it also brings her to the attention of the Erlking, an immortal being whose allegiance is as arbitrary as his need to hunt and kill. To stay alive, she must keep one step ahead of the Faerie Queens as well as the Erlking and his huntsmen, and she must accomplish all this while trying to decipher her feelings toward a boy she can't quite decide wants her heart or just wants her powers.

I'll admit I left this one of the TBR stack from the library for a long time. I didn't quite recall the storyline in the first book of the series that might have contributed to the delay. Once I did actually pick it up, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good the series is. There is your typical YA drama with lots of romance, love triangles, and emotional outbursts flying every which way, but in between all that is an action packed, dramafied storyline and more importantly, characters that had depth. There are plenty of unexpected twists and turns sprinkled throughout and definitely more than enough substance to justify a third book. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read and a series worth exploring if YA paranormal romance/fantasy is your cup of tea. ( )
  jolerie | Nov 25, 2014 |
I enjoyed this just as much as Glimmerglass. The additional drama created by the Erlking and his Wild Hunt was great. It will be fun to see how things sort out in the next one! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Jenna Black, Remedial Magic B004FPYZLQ, Personally, I think it is silly to publish this short tidbit all by itself. Why not place the trilogy in 3 separate sections of one book? It would take a little bit longer to read leaving the reader “satisfied”. It is a waste of time to download 3 tiny “books” . The author is a good writer. She really should consider publishing small series together. I believe in the long run, the reviews would go UP as the reader may feel an entire book was read instead of a teaser. ASIN:1490928898 Raining Angels ( )
  ReneeRobinson | May 4, 2014 |
I think this might be the best YA paranormal series I have read (though, I will admit that I have not read a large amount of them, but I have read a few).

Dana is a great, no holds barred kind of girl. Very indepentant and doesn't take no for an answer. We see a different side to Ethan and Keane. There is also a new character in the Erlking (who leads the Wild Hunt). He gives new meaning to the being a very bad person. Everyone is petrofied of him, including both of the Faerie queens.

There are several plot twists in this story, which makes waiting for Sirensong a long wait. Luckly it is only a few months away. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Full review can be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

Oh Dana, how naive you were in your bargain! I was sure the way it was worded meant exactly what it meant, but I had no idea just how bad things would be, even if she decides later herself to actually go through with it.

Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
To my husband, Dan. You are, as always, my inspiration.
Going on a date with a bodyguard hanging over your shoulder sucks.

On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,453,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible