Dr. Hergt studied medicine in Mainz, Germany, before immigrating to the United States in 1952.
Dr. Hergt was initially drawn to medicine as a chemist and was granted permanent residence and later citizenship in the United States by a special act of Congress sponsored by the late Senator Pat McNamara and signed by President Eisenhower in order to research tuberculosis, which he did in Bay City, Mich. He completed his internship at Detroit Receiving Hospital. After acquiring a specialty in surgery, he entered into a general practice where he was the chief doctor for the Chrysler Corporation and chief of staff of Delray Hospital. He later pioneered new approaches to burn treatment at the University of Michigan Burn Clinic.