|6,103 (6,106)||107||2,516|| (3.85)||28||0|
- Glittering Images 614 copies, 10 reviews
- Penmarric 591 copies, 8 reviews
- Cashelmara 495 copies, 12 reviews
- Glamorous Powers 441 copies, 6 reviews
- The Wheel of Fortune 426 copies, 9 reviews
- Ultimate Prizes 382 copies, 5 reviews
- Absolute Truths 381 copies, 5 reviews
- Scandalous Risks 355 copies, 5 reviews
- Mystical Paths 353 copies, 5 reviews
- The Wonder Worker 345 copies, 2 reviews
- The Rich Are Different 318 copies, 8 reviews
- Sins of the Fathers 283 copies, 7 reviews
- The High Flyer 272 copies, 3 reviews
- The Heartbreaker 223 copies, 6 reviews
- The Shrouded Walls 81 copies, 3 reviews
- The Dark Shore 72 copies, 1 review
- The Waiting Sands 66 copies, 2 reviews
- Call in the Night 55 copies, 2 reviews
- The Devil on Lammas Night 51 copies, 2 reviews
- April's Grave 43 copies, 2 reviews
- The Waiting Sands And The Devil On Lammas Night 38 copies
- Susan Howatch: 5 Complete Novels 32 copies
- The Wheel of Fortune, Vol. 1 25 copies
- The Shrouded Walls & The Dark Shore 24 copies
- Terugkeer naar Oxmoon 22 copies, 1 review
- The Shrouded Walls / April's Grave / The Devil on Lammas Night 20 copies, 1 review
- April's Grave and Call in the Night 18 copies
- The Wheel of Fortune (2 Volumes) 16 copies, 1 review
- Glittering Images Glamorous Powers 15 copies
- The Dark Shore, The Waiting Sands, and Call in the Night: Susan Howatch… 5 copies
- The Susan Howatch Collection: v. 1 4 copies
Top members (works)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Born Susan Elizabeth Sturt in Leatherhead, Surrey, England, she was the daughter of a stockbroker, and went to school at Sutton High School. She was an only child whose father was killed during World War II, but she has described her childhood as a happy one.
She obtained a degree in law from King's College London in 1961. In 1964, she emigrated to the United States, where she worked as a secretary in New York City. She married Joseph Howatch, a sculptor and writer, that year and began her career as a writer, finding success almost immediately with her intricately detailed gothic novels. A daughter was born to the couple in 1971. Upon separating from her husband in 1975, Howatch returned to England, then lived in the Republic of Ireland from 1976–80 before moving back to England permanently in 1980.
After her latter return to England, Howatch found herself "rich, successful, and living exactly where I wanted to live," but feeling a spiritual emptiness which she ascribed to "trying to hold my divided self together" and questioning her life and what she should do with it.
She had settled in Salisbury out of love for the beauty of the town, but found herself increasingly drawn to Salisbury Cathedral; eventually she began to study Anglican Christianity in earnest. She experienced a spiritual epiphany, and concluded that she should continue to write novels, but to "set forth my discoveries in the light of faith, no matter how feeble and inadequate my beginner's faith was." This personal turning point culminated in Howatch's most successful and popular works, the Starbridge series.
Improve this author
Susan Howatch is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Susan Howatch is composed of 8 names. You can examine and separate out names.