Melvil Decimal System: 010.78
Dewmoji: ℹ️ > 📚 > 📚 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Computing And Information
Library and Information Sciences
Dictionaries And Encyclopedias
[Formerly "Biographies"; Currently unassigned]
Journalism And Publishing
Manuscripts and rare books
Of works by specific classes of authors
Of Special Forms; Pseudonyms; etc.
Of works from specific places
Of Special Subjects
Classed and Alphabetical Catalogs
Theory, Utility, etc.
Works under MDS 010.78
- Libraries of the Future by J. C. R. Licklider
- Information storage and retrieval: tools, elements, theories by Joseph Becker
- Information Retrieval On-line (Information Science) by F. Wilfrid Lancaster
- Computer-based Library and Information Systems. by John Patrick Henley
- Linguistics and information science by Karen Sparck Jones
- Introduction to information science by Tefko Saracevic
- On Documentation of Scientific Literature by Theodor P. Loosjes
- People and information by Harold B. Pepinsky
- Techniques of information retrieval by B. C. Vickery
- Principles of Information Retrieval by Manfred Kochen
- Asis 2000: Proceedings of the 63rd Asis Annual Meeting Chicago, Il November 12-16, 2000 (American Society for Informatio
- Information retrieval and machine translation; based on the International Conference for Standards on a Common Language for Machine Searching and Translation by Allen Kent
- Technology and information transfer;: A survey of practice in industrial organizations by Richard S. Rosenbloom
- Asis '94: Proceedings of the 57th Annual Meeting, 1994 : Alexandria, Va October 17-20, 1994 (American Society for Inform by Bruce Maxian
- Documentaire informatie: En haar functie in de communicatie binnen de wetenschap (Reeks Bibliotheek en documentatie ; de by Th.P. Loosjes
- Experimentelle Morphologie in der Informationswissenschaft by Rainer Kuhlen
- Asis '91: Proceedings of the 54th Asis Annual Meeting, Washington, Dc October 27-31, 1991 (American Society for Informat by American Society for Industrial Security
- ASIS '97 : Proceedings of the 60th ASIS Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, November 1-6, 1997 : Digital Collections, Implications for Users, Funders, Developers, and Maintainers by American Society for Industrial Security
- Information storage and retrieval theory, systems, and devices by Mortimer Taube
- ASIS '98 : proceedings of the 61st ASIS annual meeting ... Pittsburgh, PA, October 24-29 1998 by Cecilia M. Preston
- ASIS '99 : proceedings of the 62nd annual meeting of the American Society for Information Science Washington, D.C. October 31-November 4, 1999 by Lawrence A. Woods
- Information Analysis and Retrieval (Information Sciences Series) by Allen Kent
- Methods of information handling by Charles P. Bourne
- The STISEC report; report to the Council of the National Library of Australia by the Scientific and Technological Information Services Enquiry Committee: May 1973 by Australia Canberra
- Dissemination of information: an examination guidebook by Thomas D. Wilson
- Visual files coding index by Robert Bruce Inverarity
- Automated information management in public administration present developments and impacts by Klaus Lenk
- Information revolution: Proceedings of the 38th ASIS Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, October 26-30, 1975 by Charles W. Husbands, Ruth L. Tighe Dale Baker, et al
- Information Community: Alliance for Progress - Meeting Proceedings by etc. Lois Lunin
- Machine literature searching by James W. Perry
- PROCEEDINGS OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE VOLUME 10, INNOVATIVE DEVELOPMENTS IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS: THEIR BENEFITS AND COSTS, ASIS 36th Annual Meeting by Helen J. And F. Raymond Long Waldron
- Asis '95: Proceedings of the 58th Asis Annual Meeting : Chicago, Illinois, October 9-12, 1995 (American Society for Info by Tom Kinney
- Evolutionary Information Systems: Conference Proceedings by John Hawgood
- Productivity in the Information Age by Raymond F. Vondran
- Electronic information handling by Allen Kent
- Progress report in chemical literature retrieval by Gilbert L. Peakes
- The Evaluation of Information Services and Products by Donald Ward King
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.